Billikens Open Practice

SluSignGuy

I will let others report more about the basketball side of things (I got somewhat distracted in conversation with my aunt and uncle).  But the event was very nicely done by SLU.  Had one drill in the beginning as people were wandering in, and then two 16 minute scrimmages.

I am sure people who know more about basketball than me can get things out the drills, but the scrimmages were entertaining.  Also much better than trying to attempt a dunk contest.  Good job SLU.

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So I assume nobody is going to say Nesbitt isn’t a starter anymore.

Yep. This team looked really similar to last year’s in terms of intensity. Didn’t seem like many weak spots. Traore needs more time, but held his own against two of the best bigs in the league in Linssen and Okoro. The only difference is it seems like we will take more shots from the outside and we will definitely shoot better from the line.

Crewsorlose likes this

10 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The big takeaway for me regards the youngsters:

Nesbitt is so physical, confident, and can also shoot. I didn't see him run point at all. 

Traore is not a stiff. He moved well, has size, and some skill. He's way ahead of where a guy like Diarra was. 

He ran the secondary point multiple times when he and yuri were on the floor together. The other team forced him to bring it up instead of Yuri. Side note: More emphasis on constant ball movement this year it seemed like.

7 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Was not able to attend, out of town. Was ALorentsen a factor at all, outside shooting or mixing it up inside?

Lorentsen hit a couple of threes -stays out on the perimeter most of the time.  There are no long term projects on this team- I think every single player could get in the game and contribute if needed. 

dennis_w, drkelsey55 and Zink like this

For those who couldn't attend, Yuri, Perkins and Okoro mostly had the day off.  We probably saw more of Jones, Strickland, Lorentsson and Traore in this scrimmage than we will in any game this season. 

I was surprised to see Lorentsson's sweet pass off the dribble, leading to layup for his team.  That was a nice play for a guard, never mind a 6'8 guy.  Lorentsson-mania is too big to fit on a t-shirt, though.  

56 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

For those who couldn't attend, Yuri, Perkins and Okoro mostly had the day off.  We probably saw more of Jones, Strickland, Lorentsson and Traore in this scrimmage than we will in any game this season. 

I was surprised to see Lorentsson's sweet pass off the dribble, leading to layup for his team.  That was a nice play for a guard, never mind a 6'8 guy.  Lorentsson-mania is too big to fit on a t-shirt, though.  

1200px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png