Coach Ford on the Radio

HoosierPal

3 hours ago, papal said:

Getting back to the game, any team that shoots 60% from the three usually is victorious

While I doubt 60% will be a regular occurrence, I'd say 45% would likely get the job done most nights. Let's hope Jimerson, Jacobs, JGood, and Perkins do it in Birmingham. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach on KMOX this AM.  (He was at church, and stepped out to take the call for KMOX.)

Coach confirmed French was taken out yesterday because of injury.  He said, "French is sore, and is day to day....but nothing serious."

When asked about Thatch, coach said Fred isn't practicing.  They are trying to figure out how to get him well. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on KMOX this AM.  (He was at church, and stepped out to take the call for KMOX.)

Coach confirmed French was taken out yesterday because of injury.  He said, "French is sore, and is day to day....but nothing serious."

When asked about Thatch, coach said Fred isn't practicing.  They are trying to figure out how to get him well. 

He did say it was day to day with Fred which made it sound a little more hopeful. It would be nice to have him back.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

@moytoy12 May be right, it may be a very long time if even that he plays this year 

27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

A medical redshirt possibility?  I forget the rules re playing time and still qualifying for a med redshirt.

I think it is 30% of the season. Thatch has played in 6 so he would still be eligible for the waiver. There was no discussion of this in the interview. 

Ford did say Thatch was day to day, but i took that for practice. Fred has missed a lot of time. Once he gets back practicing it could be a while before he is ready for serious game action. 

Here is hoping  the young man regains his full health. Basketball can wait. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I think it is 30% of the season. Thatch has played in 6 so he would still be eligible for the waiver. There was no discussion of this in the interview. 

Ford did say Thatch was day to day, but i took that for practice. Fred has missed a lot of time. Once he gets back practicing it could be a while before he is ready for serious game action. 

Here is hoping  the young man regains his full health. Basketball can wait. 

Exactly. Hoops is secondary to his long term health. 

My answer to that, if he does not have mono but has limiting cramps, is that it would be a real bi_ch to diagnose the cause of the cramps. Fred is a young, vigorous and very muscular person, it would be hard to come up even with what it is that you want to test to diagnose the cause of the cramps. After all, it must be considered that normally cramps are not severe or serious enough, or frequent enough, to require a full diagnostic workup.

Occasionally some people with very specialized occupations, like string instrument musicians, may develop extremely limiting cramps of the L hand. This is the hand that has to apply sometimes significant and very precise amounts of pressure upon the strings in different locations, as the other hand plays the bow or plucks the strings. In cases like these the cramps are localized to a specific set of muscles, particularly the intrinsic muscles of the left hand. Hot and cold (molten paraffin dips and ice water) PT is effective associated with rest in such cases. This is very unlikely to be the kind of cramping that is affecting Thatch. So, where to start with a diagnostic effort and what to test would be difficult issues to solve.

There is only one neurological disease that causes trouble with releasing muscle contractions. I honestly hope this is NOT what he has.

I hope the best for Thatch.

There are innumerable tests that can be run. Invariably, some of the tests will not yield results with the "normal" range. The temptation then is to treat the abnormal test without making a diagnosis. This is a lose-lose game to play. Get an idea first of what it could be, then do the tests to rule it out, and so on and so forth.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, HoosierPal said:

(He was at church, and stepped out to take the call for KMOX)

We have a big game coming up and conference season starting soon, I’m not sure coach should be risking the bad mojo of stepping out of church for a work call.

Hopefully he said a few Hail Marys As penance!

New episode from Danny Mac.  Link

Injuries - thinks French will be fine, we will see if he plays Saturday (Fords words, I would be surprised if he didn't based on how Ford sounded) but he is more day to day.  Gibson could be out a little longer but need to hear from doctors first on his foot injury.  Jimmy Bell hurt his shoulder and was game time decision last night.  No timetable on Thatch.  

Hargrove will be getting in games going forward and not just because of last night, they have seen it coming for the past couple weeks.  It was tough for him coming to SLU due to coaching changes, even things like terminology was new to him.  

Free throws - Ford mentions a lot of it is who is getting to the line.  He has gotten on them a lot the past few days.  Normally he doesn't mention it but told them they need to get mentally tougher and it isn't acceptable.  They can make them in practice so knows they can do it but they need to get mentally tougher.  Has always done the shoot 100 after practices but just started where now five times through a practice they will stop, everybody will stop go to different baskets and they have to make 75% of free throws and if not they have to run.  First time he said he has associated a punishment with free throws.  Tough to simulate the game environment during practice but he is getting tougher on them.  

Ended breaking down the Kstate game.  

21 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

New episode from Danny Mac.  Link

Injuries - thinks French will be fine, we will see if he plays Saturday (Fords words, I would be surprised if he didn't based on how Ford sounded) but he is more day to day.  Gibson could be out a little longer but need to hear from doctors first on his foot injury.  Jimmy Bell hurt his shoulder and was game time decision last night.  No timetable on Thatch.  

Hargrove will be getting in games going forward and not just because of last night, they have seen it coming for the past couple weeks.  It was tough for him coming to SLU due to coaching changes, even things like terminology was new to him.  

Free throws - Ford mentions a lot of it is who is getting to the line.  He has gotten on them a lot the past few days.  Normally he doesn't mention it but told them they need to get mentally tougher and it isn't acceptable.  They can make them in practice so knows they can do it but they need to get mentally tougher.  Has always done the shoot 100 after practices but just started where now five times through a practice they will stop, everybody will stop go to different baskets and they have to make 75% of free throws and if not they have to run.  First time he said he has associated a punishment with free throws.  Tough to simulate the game environment during practice but he is getting tougher on them.  

Ended breaking down the Kstate game.  

We used to do something like this in the USAF. Coach would blow the whistle and everyone would shoot 2. Just 2 as it prevented you from getting in a rhythm and padding your percentage. We made the same 75% as a team or we ran. This was an every practice occurrence probably 3-4 times per practice. We did it from day 1. It simulates game situations and there is pressure to make it. If we hit under 50% we ran double. We were also rewarded 90% and we got a freebie on one where we missed the goal. However, I rarely remember getting a freebie lol. We probably ran more than half the time. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

Filing in some blanks from the nice interview and excellent report by Bills 06.

Bell lucky he played last night.  He didn't practice Monday due to his shoulder. 

Of course, he complimented Maryville.  Ford was concerned about a letdown after Auburn.  Add into the drama of the injury situation, the players didn't know who would be available.

"Last night would not have been possible if TJ had a bad attitude through the times he wasn't playing."  "He will be getting in pretty much every game moving forward."  He had to be taught the basics, even how to set a screen.  Coach gave a lot of credit to TJ's parents for bringing him up the right way.

Ford said he is pretty hard on freshmen. Said he has allowed Collins to play through the fire a little bit.

Adding to the FT Conversation from above.  He looked at the team in the last four or five days and said "enough is enough".  "We have to focus and get mentally tougher."  "Team FT% historical data doesn't matter.  What matters is how we shoot in this game."

KSU.  Thinks Sneed will be an NBA player.  They will match our physicality.  Both teams rely on defense and rebounding.

Bauman that will depend entirely on how recovered French is by the time of the game. We have played full seasons with injured players that could not go up to their full potential. We do not have to  do that just in order to win a single game. If French is not ready, he should not play against KState. Even if leaving French out costs us the game it will gain us a fully functional French going forward. Somethings cannot be rushed.

SLU_Lax likes this