It's a Long Season--A Little Perspective for the Billiken Faithful

Matty Light

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Here are the current Pomeroy rankings for the A-10. No commentary, but I was looking this morning and thought I would post it since it might be of interest to others. 

75 - VCU

82 - Davidson

83 - Dayton

94 - Saint Louis

99 - Rhode Island

101 - Saint Joseph's

143 - Massachusetts

152 - St. Bonaventure

159 - Duquesne

164 - George Mason

191 - Richmond

203 - Fordham

240 - La Salle

279 - George Washington

Here's the NCAA NET rankings as of 12/23. The NCAA has said this will be a metric in their tourney selection.

VCU 54

SLU 72

Dayton 76

Rhody 103

Davidson 105

St Joe 115

The rest really don't matter. 

With VCU moving up to 54, an A10 At-Large may still be possible.  SLU didn't take a huge hit (from 61) after the FSU loss.  Likely we will loose more ground beating LaSalle than we did loosing to FSU.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here's the NCAA NET rankings as of 12/23. The NCAA has said this will be a metric in their tourney selection.

VCU 54

SLU 72

Dayton 76

Rhody 103

Davidson 105

St Joe 115

The rest really don't matter. 

With VCU moving up to 54, an A10 At-Large may still be possible.  SLU didn't take a huge hit (from 61) after the FSU loss.  Likely we will loose more ground beating LaSalle than we did loosing to FSU.

a 54 net IF the ncaa sticks strickly to the numbers would likely be about the first 4 out category.   40 is the almost a sure thing mark and then after that it depends on the number of upsets in the top 10 conferences where teams win the conference tourney that shouldnt have been there.   

remember there are approxiamately 22 conferences that get awarded the autobid for winning their tourney that has no business being in the final 69 teams left to play in the country.  

add to that the top 40 teams assuming the committee doesnt shaft one of those deserving teams, that leaves 6 teams above 40 to get additional at large bids assuming no conference tourney upsets by less than top 40 teams.   not much wiggle room.  

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a 54 net IF the ncaa sticks strickly to the numbers would likely be about the first 4 out category.   40 is the almost a sure thing mark and then after that it depends on the number of upsets in the top 10 conferences where teams win the conference tourney that shouldnt have been there.   

remember there are approximately 22 conferences that get awarded the autobid for winning their tourney that has no business being in the final 69 teams left to play in the country.  

add to that the top 40 teams assuming the committee doesn't shaft one of those deserving teams, that leaves 6 teams above 40 to get additional at large bids assuming no conference tourney upsets by less than top 40 teams.   not much wiggle room.  

Oh yeah.  NCAA will factor in Quad 1/2 wins to snub mid majors.  Last year St. Mary's 28-5 team with an RPI of 40/KenPom of 28 was left out, as was 23-7 Middle TN with 33/52.  And who can ever forget Missouri State being left out in 2006 with an RPI of 26.

Still, I'm targeting mid 40's in the NET as bubble city.  If a mid-m is above that, just plan on the NIT.

I sure wish we could trade our second game with LaSalle out for a rematch with Davidson or VCU, a la what CUSA is doing.  LaSalle is sitting at 314 and GW at 302. Three games against 300+ teams will kill our NET.

billiken_roy and SLU_Nick like this

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

it may not be this year maybe but the A10 has to do what ever it takes to shed/resist the deadly and dismissive midmajor label

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

it may not be this year maybe but the A10 has to do what ever it takes to shed/resist the deadly and dismissive midmajor label

Ain't happening. Just do what damage we can do in the conf schedule and win in Brooklyn. That will do it. We likely blew an at large losing to Pitt and SIUC. At the most, A10 gets two bids. Tourney champ and gets a Dayton play in for conf champ. I always think St Mary's got screwed last year. The A10's not shown much this year. We had our shot and blew it against 2 teams we should have beat. We didn't. 

19 hours ago, Old guy said:

I agree we do not have that luxury if we want to be in the NCAA tournament. But honestly I do not know what we can do to prevent these kinds of losses.

It starts with not saying "oh well this happens".  It may but a team like the Bills can not let it happen - they just have to "Do It"

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It starts with not saying "oh well this happens".  It may but a team like the Bills can not let it happen - they just have to "Do It"

exactly.  when the likes of Villanova or Duke or Michigan have let downs vs lesser opponents, they have their power conferences to fall back on to "correct" the loss.   We unfortunately now in a conference where in the 2018-19 season will not even be in the top 10 of conferences let alone the typical 6th or 7th power spot the A10 has traditionally been in during past seasons.  

Littlebill likes this

Honestly, the way this team has performed to date it's not deserving of a bid. The only way they get in, other than taking the tourney, is to get thru the conf schedule with only 2-3 losses. Who thinks that is realistic based on the way we've played so far? Not saying they don't have the talent to do it, but with offense in disarray it's gonna be damn difficult to pull off a 15-3 record. 

54 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Isabell and a healthy Wiley don't provide the necessary scoring punch from outside, a NCAA bid isn't happening. They were our hoped for missing pieces and unfortunately they are still missing. I'm rooting for these guys.

And more importantly, we were hoping Jordan Goodwin would take the next step and be an all-conference caliber player... and that hasn't happened - yet.

40 minutes ago, ACE said:

And more importantly, we were hoping Jordan Goodwin would take the next step and be an all-conference caliber player... and that hasn't happened - yet.

evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvverytime i hint at this.... people get upset. bottom line - overrated 

I believe Goodwin has a chance to become an all-conference caliber player,  it just won't be this year.  His strengths and weaknesses were well-known even as he climbed in the recruiting rankings.  Those strengths allowed him to be an impact player as a freshman.  Those weaknesses will stall his offensive development until he adds a mid-range or three-point shot.  

brianstl and Pistol like this

Goodwin isn’t overrated, he is just underperforming. He got a triple double last year and almost got it 2 other times. He has shown improvement recently so the best is yet to come.  

Not having a shooter has clogged the inside on offense which has hurt us in the paint but with Wiley back and hopefully Thor we can improve upon that. 

We will finish top of the conference this year and make a run in the A10 tourney. Doing well in the A10 does make a difference as long as we dominate our opponents 

16 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvverytime i hint at this.... people get upset. bottom line - overrated 

His last game last year he had 28pts and 9 rebounds. During a 3 game stretch last year he averaged almost a triple double. He has the only triple double in school history. He isnt overated. Once he starts hitting shots again he will be fine. He is doing everything else.

16 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Let's wait until the end of the season to pass judgement on JGood. Granted, he's not shown us what he did last year, but he had the nose injury and a new cast of players. There have been moments in games where we've seen flashbacks to last year just no consistency. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We don't have a point guard. Every player is going to look worse than they should if we don't have a player to get them the ball in the right spots to help them be successful.

This. Last year we had Roby and Hines who were at least capable when it came to distributing and ball handling. Not great, but capable. I think we've seen that both JGood and Tramaine are much better off ball than doing a lot of ball handling and facilitating. I'd be curious at how the team would perform with just an average PG distributing to JG and TI.

11 minutes ago, GoBills73 said:

This. Last year we had Roby and Hines who were at least capable when it came to distributing and ball handling. Not great, but capable. I think we've seen that both JGood and Tramaine are much better off ball than doing a lot of ball handling and facilitating. I'd be curious at how the team would perform with just an average PG distributing to JG and TI.

If Jacobs weren't so skinny and so inexperienced, he could fill that role.