2018-19 Schedule

ACE

4 hours ago, bauman said:

Ace, if we can't handle Methdale then we won't be as good as we think we are going to be. 

Assuming that there are no more non-buy type games in the few to be announced yet, then I see 3-5 possible regular season losses:  @ SH 50/50; @ Houston 40 W/ 60 L;  Fla St  20/80; one A-10 clunker against a good team (DAV or URI or St. Joe) and one upset against a mid-level A-10 team (DUQ or St B or GM).   Sorry SVU fans---not this year.

Then on to the A-10 tournament which we will win; then on to the NCAA as a 6 seed, making it to the Sweet 16!  I'm ready for a quick trip to LV to bet the farm!

Even in really good seasons, you can usually count on a "bad" loss or two.

2011-12: Marymount & and a bad URI team

2012-13: Santa Clara and a bad URI team at our place

2013-14: a bad Duquesne team at our place

We've had our way with Methdale in recent years, even the Crews crap show, but I'm just saying don't expect a pushover at their place. Has the potential for a letdown on a non-conference schedule with more high profile opponents.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ACE said:
Jon RothsteinVerified account @JonRothstein
FollowFollow @JonRothstein
More

Saint Louis is the latest program outside the Power 5 to understand the importance of scheduling. Neutral: FSU, Pitt. At Seton Hall, At Houston. Home against Butler and Oregon St.

Rothstein loves him some Bills.  I feel like he is our beat writer.

Billikid likes this

9 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Love the kool-aid.  25-5 (or better) with this schedule would be quite an achievement and I'd think would result in a higher seed than 6. 

A 6 seed, in theory, means you are one of the top 21-24 teams in the eye of the selection committee.  I would be happy with that, especially with our recent past of less than Tournament quality teams.  Not knowing who has what coming back  but based on recent trends/history, it's reasonable to think that Gonzaga, 2 Pac 12 teams, 3 Big Ten teams 4 Big East, 4 ACC , 2 SEC, 1 AAC and 2 Big 12 teams might be seeded ahead of us.  Throw in one more surprise team and we are in the 6 seed group at best. 

Having said that I agree, if we finish with only 5 losses with our schedule, we deserve to be seeded higher than a 6.  Unfortunately, we are fighting the P5 plus Big East prejudice of the selection committee, which is usually controlled by those conferences.

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Even in really good seasons, you can usually count on a "bad" loss or two.

2011-12: Marymount & and a bad URI team

2012-13: Santa Clara and a bad URI team at our place

2013-14: a bad Duquesne team at our place

We've had our way with Methdale in recent years, even the Crews crap show, but I'm just saying don't expect a pushover at their place. Has the potential for a letdown on a non-conference schedule with more high profile opponents.

I know and agree with what you are saying.  That's why I included the A-10 clunker and the A-10 upset.  However, if I had to trade one of those two losses for a loss to another team I would be ok with a Dec loss in an away game as long as SIU is as good as you think.

3 hours ago, ACE said:
Jon RothsteinVerified account @JonRothstein
FollowFollow @JonRothstein
More

Saint Louis is the latest program outside the Power 5 to understand the importance of scheduling. Neutral: FSU, Pitt. At Seton Hall, At Houston. Home against Butler and Oregon St.

This is fantastic. Its been a while since we had a schedule like this (maybe the 1990s). Nice to see we scheduling Power 5 Schools and having marquee games again. If the A10 lives up to expectations,  with this OOC schedule next season SOS should be very strong.  

It's getting more and more difficult for even the best teams to avoid the clunker loss and conference losses to the better teams. I'd expect we'll have around 4 conference losses this year. What I'd hate to see is lose to OOC games where we're likely picked to win. Right now we have 3 teams that are being listed in top 25 lists; Butler, FSU, and Houston. If we really want to look good come selection Sunday, it would be sweet to win 2 out of 3.  

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It's getting more and more difficult for even the best teams to avoid the clunker loss and conference losses to the better teams. I'd expect we'll have around 4 conference losses this year. What I'd hate to see is lose to OOC games where we're likely picked to win. Right now we have 3 teams that are being listed in top 25 lists; Butler, FSU, and Houston. If we really want to look good come selection Sunday, it would be sweet to win 2 out of 3.  

I know making the tournament would be great and all and I have high expectations for next season as well. And I do think we will make the tourny if all the new pieces can come together quickly.  But I'm honestly just excited to watch us compete at a high level again. It's been so long since we have had a full squad and been able to play a watchable brand of basketball. Watching the athletes we are going to have this year (barring no Pesty and Krafty shenanigans) is going to be a ton of fun, win or lose. 

Can't wait to be a Billiken fan again.

@RiseoftheBillikens you never really stopped being a Bills fan, however much watching the last 3 seasons may have hurt. What we are all looking forward to is being happy Billikens fans with a team that can compete at high level and win consistently.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I feel this is my calling in life

I haven't driven by that corner in quite a while.  What is happening with the building?  I know the guy that bought it is NOT in the food service business, but in the patient transport and used car businesses and probably never had any intention to open it as a pub.

4 hours ago, Brighton said:

Still better than the good for nothing STL media.

He has great information I totally feel that. I’m just saying I try not to read too much into his positivity about teams.

18 hours ago, NH said:

Rothstein loves every team. He’s as much propoganda artist as he is reporter, which is why coaches love him so much and why they are all willing to tell him things. 

While he is unlikely to deliver hard-hitting, critical analysis, he is very much in on the ground level and usually sees who is up and coming before most people do. 

JohnnyJumpUp and Brighton like this

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

While he is unlikely to deliver hard-hitting, critical analysis, he is very much in on the ground level and usually sees who is up and coming before most people do. 

I don't think it's a stretch by Rothstein to be looking favorably on the Bills chances in the A10 this year. RI lost Hurley, VCU and Dayton are down, Davidson and St.B's have lost their top guys, and St. Joes still has Martelli. I'll be really disappointed if we don't win the both the league and tourney titles this year. The A10 was much stronger back in 13-14 when we pulled that off and we had Crews on the bench. And while we may not have the cohesiveness of that team, we've got more talent and a deeper bench.

Bringing @RiseAndGrind's post over here to the scheduling thread.

Updated:

Non-conference:

11/17: @ Seton Hall

11/21: vs. Pitt at Barclays Center (Brooklyn, NY)

12/2: vs. Butler

12/16: @ Houston

12/22: vs. Florida State at BB&T Center (Sunrise, FL)

Home: Oregon State, Central Arkansas, Troy, North Alabama, 2 exhibitions, ~2 buy games

Away: SIUC

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s