2018-19 Schedule

ACE

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Oh, yeah, I see the 11 now.  The 14 games away from home is a bit high, by about 2.  I think that will reduce the number of home games, in addition to the fact that they're not getting two bonus home games from an exempt tourney.

Since our only "tournament" game is the Fla St. Orange Bowl Classic, I assume that our number of games is dictated by NCAA rules.  Do you, or anyone else, know what that limit is?  If it is 30, and the Orange Bowl game counts as one of those 30, then our max # of home games would be 16 (plus the 14 away/neutral court games).  If the OB Classic game does not count towards the 30, then we could have 17 real home games plus any exhibitions.  All these figures would need to be adjusted if the max # of NCAA allowed games is different than 30.

In any case, with only 11 known home games, the scheduling people have some work to do to get another 5 or 6 home gates plus exhibition(s), although it is likely that some of those unknown games are actually already scheduled. 

I think the Board consensus is that this is the strongest Billiken team in recent history and it better be because the schedule is also probably the toughest in recent memory.  I like it!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll definitely attend the FSU game. The Arena they will play in is the same one the Florida Panthers NHL teams plays their games. We'll be visiting our old home while attending the game. Hope the Bills play a great game that night.

52 minutes ago, bauman said:

Since our only "tournament" game is the Fla St. Orange Bowl Classic, I assume that our number of games is dictated by NCAA rules.  Do you, or anyone else, know what that limit is?  If it is 30, and the Orange Bowl game counts as one of those 30, then our max # of home games would be 16 (plus the 14 away/neutral court games).  If the OB Classic game does not count towards the 30, then we could have 17 real home games plus any exhibitions.  All these figures would need to be adjusted if the max # of NCAA allowed games is different than 30.

In any case, with only 11 known home games, the scheduling people have some work to do to get another 5 or 6 home gates plus exhibition(s), although it is likely that some of those unknown games are actually already scheduled. 

I think the Board consensus is that this is the strongest Billiken team in recent history and it better be because the schedule is also probably the toughest in recent memory.  I like it!

I believe the number of games is 28, but an exempt tourney counts as 1 game. [Correction: that was the old rule.]  Therefore, if an exempt tourney includes four games, 27 + 4 = 31.  A 3-round tourney would get the schedule to 30.  But if not participating in a multi-round event, the limit is 29.  I found an article from 2006 that explains it.

Under the new rules, teams can play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament for a maximum of 31 games.  Conference and other postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.  Before the change, teams were limited to 28 games, with exempt multi-team events counting as one of those 28 contests.

So, with 14 away games, the Bills will be able to play 15 regular-season home games, plus up to 2 exhibitions, for a maximum of 17 dates, this year.  That is, if everything we've seen, as Pistol delineated, is correct and final.  There are only four more slots to fill or be announced.

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe the number of games is 28, but an exempt tourney counts as 1 game. [Correction: that was the old rule.]  Therefore, if an exempt tourney includes four games, 27 + 4 = 31.  A 3-round tourney would get the schedule to 30.  But if not participating in a multi-round event, the limit is 29.  I found an article from 2006 that explains it.

So, with 14 away games, the Bills will be able to play 15 regular-season home games, plus up to 2 exhibitions, for a maximum of 17 dates, this year.  That is, if everything we've seen, as Pistol delineated, is correct and final.  There are only four more slots to fill or be announced.

QIJ 1, If that rule is still in effect, it looks like we can only play 29 Regular season games, plus 2 exhbs. or one exhb. and one closed practice game.  It does not appear that the OB Classic would count as a tournament under the wording of that Rule, assuming it hasn't changed.

Therefore, we have 14 away/neutral court games leaving a max of 15 home games plus any exhibitions. I think that would lead you to conclude that we will play 2 home exhibitions to get us to 17 home gates, still 2 less than last year.  If the above is correct under current rules, then it will be interesting to see how the AD prices season tickets.  Last year we had 18 home games and one exhibition (19 gates) while this year it looks like we will have a 15/2 home schedule (17 gates).  We know of 11 games so it looks like we are just waiting on 4 games and 2 exhibitions to all be finalized so the schedule can be published.

My guess is they keep the season ticket package price the same and throw in some additional concessions and/or a ticket voucher to the UCONN/SLU women's game.  I know they will want to pack the Fetz for that game in early December.

Neutral fans are going to fall in love with the Billikens next year. We’re going to be the team that no one saw coming that shatters expectations (for people who don’t know about us. 

We have a fun and unique mascot, team, and logo. 

The fair weather fans will also return 

Brighton and Spoon-Balls like this

15 hours ago, ACE said:

Yeah, Methdale won't be easy. This figures to be one of the better teams they have had in years. They're experienced and playing them at their place has me a bit worried.

Overall, a very good schedule so far. The key now is to find good buy games. Murray State last year is an example of a very good one if you can get it.

We're gonna need to have @slufanskip in the house at Carbondale again this year.

16 hours ago, ACE said:

Yeah, Methdale won't be easy. This figures to be one of the better teams they have had in years. They're experienced and playing them at their place has me a bit worried.

Overall, a very good schedule so far. The key now is to find good buy games. Murray State last year is an example of a very good one if you can get it.

Ace, if we can't handle Methdale then we won't be as good as we think we are going to be. 

Assuming that there are no more non-buy type games in the few to be announced yet, then I see 3-5 possible regular season losses:  @ SH 50/50; @ Houston 40 W/ 60 L;  Fla St  20/80; one A-10 clunker against a good team (DAV or URI or St. Joe) and one upset against a mid-level A-10 team (DUQ or St B or GM).   Sorry SVU fans---not this year.

Then on to the A-10 tournament which we will win; then on to the NCAA as a 6 seed, making it to the Sweet 16!  I'm ready for a quick trip to LV to bet the farm!

With 4 home games still to be scheduled or announced I would like to see 1 against a Murray St quality team, 1 against Bradley or ILL ST or Ind St, one against SEMO and one against SIU-E, with the last two (the weakest teams) at the early part of the non-conference season-before @ Seton Hall and the other 2, whenever.  How about Rockhurst and Harris-Stowe as the 2 exhibitions to at least have somewhat of a local flavor and draw a few 100 of their fans?

My job is done!!!

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The came with Pittsburgh is part of a multi-team exempt event according to Blogging the Bracket.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The source of the info on the Pitt game is a tweet from Jon Rothstein and only mentions it as a game, not part of a tournament.  The site you provided also shows only one game in the "tournament."  Everything else is TBA.  If this is a qualifying tournament it is also a joke just showing how loose the NCAA interpretation of a qualifying tournament is.  Hopefully next year we will be in demand for some of the big-time tournaments.

Anyway, if in fact this Pitt game does turn out to be a qualifying tour. then that would give us 2 more possible home games meaning 17 games and 2 exhibitions for the same number of home gates (19) as last year or if we choose to play a closed scrimmage then 17 games and 1 exhibition getting us to 18 home gates, one less than last year.

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

The source of the info on the Pitt game is a tweet from Jon Rothstein and only mentions it as a game, not part of a tournament.  The site you provided also shows only one game in the "tournament."  Everything else is TBA.  If this is a qualifying tournament it is also a joke just showing how loose the NCAA interpretation of a qualifying tournament is.  Hopefully next year we will be in demand for some of the big-time tournaments.

Anyway, if in fact this Pitt game does turn out to be a qualifying tour. then that would give us 2 more possible home games meaning 17 games and 2 exhibitions for the same number of home gates (19) as last year or if we choose to play a closed scrimmage then 17 games and 1 exhibition getting us to 18 home gates, one less than last year.

I guess you missed the part about an email from Matt Doherty confirming the that it is a multi-team event.

14 minutes ago, ACE said:
Jon RothsteinVerified account @JonRothstein
FollowFollow @JonRothstein
More

Saint Louis is the latest program outside the Power 5 to understand the importance of scheduling. Neutral: FSU, Pitt. At Seton Hall, At Houston. Home against Butler and Oregon St.

-the love from Rothstein continues, i like it,  but this is sort of an insane comment as most if not all teams in our status or similar would love to play P5 teams, it's just that most P5 teams want nothing to do with us or those like us

-not to derail, BAB or anyone following, any take on what St Mary's non-con looks like? 

35 minutes ago, ACE said:
Jon RothsteinVerified account @JonRothstein
FollowFollow @JonRothstein
More

Saint Louis is the latest program outside the Power 5 to understand the importance of scheduling. Neutral: FSU, Pitt. At Seton Hall, At Houston. Home against Butler and Oregon St.

Not a complete shock but loved this line from Rothstein's article: "Saint Louis is expected to be voted first in the Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll."

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-fsu-saint-louis-and-florida-fgcu-to-headline-orange-bowl-classic/

14 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not a complete shock but loved this line from Rothstein's article: "Saint Louis is expected to be voted first in the Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll."

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-fsu-saint-louis-and-florida-fgcu-to-headline-orange-bowl-classic/

towel

16 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

-from the article, one of these things is not like the other......Florida State will face Saint Louis and Florida will play Florida Gulf Coast in the Orange Bowl Classic on Dec. 22, multiple sources told FRS Sports.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-from the article, one of these things is not like the other......Florida State will face Saint Louis and Florida will play Florida Gulf Coast in the Orange Bowl Classic on Dec. 22, multiple sources told FRS Sports.

What's the confusion on this? 

FSU vs Saint Louis

Florida vs FGC

Both games on 12/22

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

He's saying it's strange since we are a Midwestern school while the others are Florida schools.

That would make sense, wouldn't it. Not sure how I missed that. Boy is my face red!

Perhaps we could change our name Saint Louis University of Florida for this particular game.

23 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

He's saying it's strange since we are a Midwestern school while the others are Florida schools.

I wish it was like a round robin type event

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Ace, if we can't handle Methdale then we won't be as good as we think we are going to be. 

Assuming that there are no more non-buy type games in the few to be announced yet, then I see 3-5 possible regular season losses:  @ SH 50/50; @ Houston 40 W/ 60 L;  Fla St  20/80; one A-10 clunker against a good team (DAV or URI or St. Joe) and one upset against a mid-level A-10 team (DUQ or St B or GM).   Sorry SVU fans---not this year.

Then on to the A-10 tournament which we will win; then on to the NCAA as a 6 seed, making it to the Sweet 16!  I'm ready for a quick trip to LV to bet the farm!

Love the kool-aid.  25-5 (or better) with this schedule would be quite an achievement and I'd think would result in a higher seed than 6.