2018-19 Schedule

ACE

Looking at our 17 home games, I see 17-0 as a real possibility, with a worst case scenario of 14-3.  Three (3) possible, but not all likely,  L's are Butler, OSU and SJU.  One of those three could be replaced in the L column by an upset.

Bring your pom poms!  Of course, this supposes no major injuries to key players and no other significant losses for any other reason.

Average attendance for our clunkers (Appl St/NCC/SEMO/C ARK/Troy/and N Bama------6500-7000

Avg attendance for Butler and OSU-----9000-9500

Avg attendance for A-10 games -------- 9500-10000

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

wonderful for Ty.    all thanks to stormy, pesty, krafty and the BoT of Saint Louis University. 

While the timing of the decision likely cost Ty a semester of basketball, the actual rules that were followed in handling down the punishment are not unique to SLU.

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

really?   other than a slight detour to go eat ribs at the Murphysboro 17th street, there is nothing about carbondale that interests me and i dread the 4 hours in a car in the middle of the week.  

17th St is good, but it's not where I'd go if I was going down there and only having one meal down there. I prefer to go to a hole in the wall country inn sort of place that you might not be able to find unless you've lived down there. 

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

Looking at our 17 home games, I see 17-0 as a real possibility, with a worst case scenario of 14-3.  Three (3) possible, but not all likely,  L's are Butler, OSU and SJU.  One of those three could be replaced in the L column by an upset.

Bring your pom poms!  Of course, this supposes no major injuries to key players and no other significant losses for any other reason.

Average attendance for our clunkers (Appl St/NCC/SEMO/C ARK/Troy/and N Bama------6500-7000

-I am not picking on you even as this is my third reply this session, but the highlighted section got us in BIG trouble last season, so you might chose to rephrase

wgstl, BillikenBoy10 and bauman like this

Non-conference:

11/6: SEMO

11/17: @ Seton Hall

11/21: vs. Pitt at Barclays Center (Brooklyn, NY)

11/24: vs. Central Arkansas

12/1: vs. Butler

12/5: @ SIUC

12/16: @ Houston

12/22: vs. Florida State at BB&T Center (Sunrise, FL)

Home: Oregon State, Troy, North Alabama, NC Central, Appalachian State, 2 exhibitions

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

-Appalachian State was a .500 team in the Sun Belt last season (as was Troy). NC Central was 9-7 in the MEAC but won the MEAC Tournament and got a 16-seed play-in game, which they lost to Texas Southern.

-Opponents by conference: ACC (2), Big East (2), Sun Belt (2), Pac 12 (1), American (1), Missouri Valley (1), Ohio Valley (1), Southland (1), Atlantic Sun (1), MEAC (1).

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Butler is on a Sat. Good chance for a sellout at 10,600. There are a decent number of Butler grads in town plus Indy is only 4 hours away for the homies.  We've only had four 10,600+ games at Chaifetz; VCU, GW, Butler (in 2013) and Dayton.

The clunkers attendance will be whatever our season ticket base it.  SEMO will be higher, with alumni in town and first home game. We had 7246 in for the home opener last season v Seattle.

The highest season average attendance at Chaifetz was 2013-14 at 8,428 (80% capacity). 

48 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Butler is on a Sat. Good chance for a sellout at 10,600. There are a decent number of Butler grads in town plus Indy is only 4 hours away for the homies.  We've only had four 10,600+ games at Chaifetz; VCU, GW, Butler (in 2013) and Dayton.

The clunkers attendance will be whatever our season ticket base it.  SEMO will be higher, with alumni in town and first home game. We had 7246 in for the home opener last season v Seattle.

The highest season average attendance at Chaifetz was 2013-14 at 8,428 (80% capacity). 

I've got a kid due the same day as the Butler game. At least I've got 3 months to decide whether or not I want to stay married....

dlarry likes this

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've got a kid due the same day as the Butler game. At least I've got 3 months to decide whether or not I want to stay married....

This has to be a joke...

We wont have butler at home again for a while

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

With this team we should blow away previous attendance records, especially once we get to conference play.

Also, I would hope that our very creative marketing folks would come up with some early season promos aimed at non-STH to 1) Make sure the building looks almost filled for the likes of C Ark and N Alabama; and 2) Try to get some non-STH sports fans interested in the team in the hope that they will want to come back to later games.  How about 1/2 price drinks (soda/water and beer) or (alternative $1 soda and water, $4 beer) for a game-you still make a profit at half (or those alternative) price(s) OR $1 hot dog night OR $1 general admission/$2 or $3 reserved seat night.  You could build attendance and yet make a profit on each of those things. Empty seats at Troy do not buy concessions or add to the ticket revenue for that game.

This is the year to think out of the box and build the fanbase.  Let's NOT do business as usual.  The Blues are doing everything in their power to make attending games more enjoyable and they seem like they will be much improved this year.  While our fanbases do not completely overlap, there is a sizable number of "just sports fans" who we are competing for against the Blues.  We actually have a product to sell, let's not screw this up!

Edited by bauman
added info

22 minutes ago, bauman said:

With this team we should blow away previous attendance records, especially once we get to conference play.

who can forget the famous carbondale game at the old arena where about 20 minutes before the game the arena was pulling off the cover of the upper deck end seats because the walk up attendance was going crazy.    that was in the clagget, waldman and highmark days and after that game, we were the hottest ticket in town.   attendance was incredible until after larry legend season.   who knows, we start off hot and same thing happens.   

bauman and HenryB like this

i say have the baby at halftime in the practice facility and name the baby after whichever billiken is leading in scoring at that point in the game.   

47 minutes ago, bauman said:

Also, I would hope that our very creative marketing folks would come up with some early season promos aimed at non-STH to 1) Make sure the building looks almost filled for the likes of C Ark and N Alabama; and 2) Try to get some non-STH sports fans interested in the team in the hope that they will want to come back to later games.  How about 1/2 price drinks (soda/water and beer) or (alternative $1 soda and water, $4 beer) for a game-you still make a profit at half (or those alternative) price(s) OR $1 hot dog night OR $1 general admission/$2 or $3 reserved seat night.  You could build attendance and yet make a profit on each of those things. Empty seats at Troy do not buy concessions or add to the ticket revenue for that game.

This is the year to think out of the box and build the fanbase.  Let's NOT do business as usual.  The Blues are doing everything in their power to make attending games more enjoyable and they seem like they will be much improved this year.  While our fanbases do not completely overlap, there is a sizable number of "just sports fans" who we are competing for against the Blues.  We actually have a product to sell, let's not screw this up!

-I agree that all the creativity that can be mustered should be used for the start of the season as I am confident/hopeful that come January we will be a very hot ticket, heck if you have to give tickets to Catholic grade school teams, could they use the practice facility once in a while as a pre-game lounge for alumni with discounted food/drink and tell us when those dates are (I understand it is a practice/game facility first and it should be), whatever it takes and posting ideas here is not worthless as we know we are being watched......

5 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

While the timing of the decision likely cost Ty a semester of basketball, the actual rules that were followed in handling down the punishment are not unique to SLU.

17th St is good, but it's not where I'd go if I was going down there and only having one meal down there. I prefer to go to a hole in the wall country inn sort of place that you might not be able to find unless you've lived down there. 

x bridge and hit BeastCraft before heading down. Only time I went there spoon daze, had to stand until SIU scored which was a few minutes and when everyone sat it was tightest seating I've ever been in. Big alumni and benches.