Taj79

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Pitt hiring Jeff Capel from Duke.

I like it when assistants get hired as it slows down the merry-go-round. Which will start up again in full force when Mack goes to Louisville.

This is an interesting hire - I think Capel will be great at Pitt, ultimately good for the ACC.

During our search Capel was on the list.  He was overlooked because of the perception that he was next-in-line to replace coach K at Duke, and the understanding was that even if he came to SLU, he would be out in a few years.

10 minutes ago, TheOne said:

This is an interesting hire - I think Capel will be great at Pitt, ultimately good for the ACC.

During our search Capel was on the list.  He was overlooked because of the perception that he was next-in-line to replace coach K at Duke, and the understanding was that even if he came to SLU, he would be out in a few years.

Capel is one of the names I was advocating when we hired Crews. It seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 43.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Pitt hiring Jeff Capel from Duke.

I like it when assistants get hired as it slows down the merry-go-round. Which will start up again in full force when Mack goes to Louisville.

To blatantly rip off a joke from my favorite college basketball podcast (One Shining Podcast), congrats to all Pittsburgh area duffle bag manufacturers on the Capel hire. What an exciting time for them.

This simply points out the need for SLU's head coaches to figure out how to hire good assistants so when and if they move on that there are good people to promote.   If we have to always go  and hire from the outside then the program will never be sustainable as a winner.  The Brad S hire was not an example of this - Biondi simply wanted to hire on the cheap and Brad was willing to take the job.  He was good X and O coach but just could not recruit well over time. After TL and KL he lost every recruiting battle for a good player.  Any mid major who has ideas of being successful over time has to be able to do this - there are plenty of examples out there for us to emulate.  Anybody have any opinions on the group Ford has?

Tydus Verhoeven, the 6'-8" stiff from Duquesne who we turned into a star with 21 points on February 28 after scoring in double figures only once all season, is transferring out of Duquesne after one season.

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

This simply points out the need for SLU's head coaches to figure out how to hire good assistants so when and if they move on that there are good people to promote.   If we have to always go  and hire from the outside then the program will never be sustainable as a winner.  The Brad S hire was not an example of this - Biondi simply wanted to hire on the cheap and Brad was willing to take the job.  He was good X and O coach but just could not recruit well over time. After TL and KL he lost every recruiting battle for a good player.  Any mid major who has ideas of being successful over time has to be able to do this - there are plenty of examples out there for us to emulate.  Anybody have any opinions on the group Ford has?

I like his assistants. That being said, at Xavier the assistants work for years before they move up. Not the case with Uncle Sodaberger & agree with your analysis. 

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

IIRC it was the players that lobbied for Soderberg to be named coach. He had also led Wisconsin to the final four as interim head coach....

He did not lead them to the Final Four. He was one-and-done following the Badgers Final Four season under Bennett. Pretty sure Wikipedia's account is accurate...

Three games into the 2000–01 campaign, the Badgers (coming off a Final Four appearance in 2000) saw their head coach, Dick Bennett retire. Soderberg took over the heralded team and led them to a 16–10 record, but the team lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Georgia State University, considered a major disappointment to many Badger fans. Soderberg was then let go from his head coach position at the end of the season, as the Badgers hired Bo Ryan.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

He did not lead them to the Final Four. He was one-and-done following the Badgers Final Four season under Bennett. Pretty sure Wikipedia's account is accurate...

Three games into the 2000–01 campaign, the Badgers (coming off a Final Four appearance in 2000) saw their head coach, Dick Bennett retire. Soderberg took over the heralded team and led them to a 16–10 record, but the team lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Georgia State University, considered a major disappointment to many Badger fans. Soderberg was then let go from his head coach position at the end of the season, as the Badgers hired Bo Ryan.

Ahh ok. Thanks 

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

IIRC it was the players that lobbied for Soderberg to be named coach. He had also led Wisconsin to the final four as interim head coach....

:I have no problem with asking players for their opinion but you can not let them make the decision.  Biondi hired Brad on the cheap and if the players liked him then it was shade for Biondi only.  He was willing to pay Romar a fair salary but when Romar moved to UW he went cheap again which generally was his mo