Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

34 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

ya! The A10 headquarters is in the Tidewater. She wants a nearby school.

-if this is real, can the commissioner add a school on their own or is there a vote? I'm not sure how a vote would go, the nearby schools might vote yes just to have another close road game

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-says Wake, Duke, UNC and State.....

-are people serious about adding Loyola to the A10 with one trip to the E8 and their Chicago location as the reasons? I don't see it, don't see it all when comparing to Butler's pedigree that got them to the BEast

The Chicago location alone is all the reason that is needed.  TV $$ is what matters most.

You think the Big10 added Rutgers because of their incredible tradition of success??

HoosierPal likes this

4 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Absolute worst case for me with Loyola is that Porter leaves, the program tanks, and we have another Fordham except this is one where we can all enjoy a road game win every year.

I could live with that. Also Windy City would be great place for tournament championship

7 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I'll mention it, I hear Bernadette is high on bringing in Old  Dominion. Do we really want another Virginia state school?

I would be in favor of bringing in Loyola just to add a school in our time-zone. Don't be surprised if Porter splits after this is over. Loyola could be the just the annual Cinderella. Remember Florida Gulf Coast a few years back?

Dunk city. Dunk dunk city y'all. 

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

All of La Salle's options are supposed to be explored -- dropping down in athletics is just one of them.  They could also just drop all other things and keep Basketball at D-1.  Right now, it is too early to call.  Have you ever been to 20th and Olney in North Philadelphia?  Kind of reminds me of the 70's wandering Olive and Washington in St. Louis or driving up to I-70 on Grand or Kingshighway.  Not very pretty.  Coming up North Broad Street to La Salle is always an eye opener too.  And Temple is not much better.

LaSalle maybe hitting rock-bottom financially and simply can't afford Dr G and D1 sports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/a...christies.html

La Salle and Dr. John parting ways after 14 years.  This seemed inevitable to me.  I believe it would have happened sooner had he not rode that one lucky year to the Sweet Sixteen. Guy was an idiot bench coach.  Reminded me of someone else I once knew [dead].

A10 Basketball Trending:

Up:  Saint Louis, Davidson, Duquesne, Mason, Umass, Richmond, and St. Joe's.

Down:  Dayton, Fordham, George Washington, La Salle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure and VCU.

Creighton's assistant Preston Murphy could be on the shortlist for the URI head coach position. He played there and was the assistant and then associate HC between '10-14. He has made a huge impact on recruiting for Creighton. I know people are worried that he might jet.

On 3/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, brianstl said:

Loyola makes sense for expanding the A10 geographical footprint and filling the hole between SLU and Dayton.  

Looking back, Mason was a bad addition for reasons outside of basketball.  It makes little sense to have 4 schools in the same conference within a two hour drive of each other.

Unless you go to 2 divisions, west and east.  That would build rivalries and excitement and cut down on travel costs.  But can't be more than 7 teams in each division.

You play home and home in division, 12 games.  You play each team in the other division once, 7 games.  Total of 19 or one less conference game than the 20 played in today's set-up.  Love to see this change.

19 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Unless you go to 2 divisions, west and east.  That would build rivalries and excitement and cut down on travel costs.  But can't be more than 7 teams in each division.

You play home and home in division, 12 games.  You play each team in the other division once, 7 games.  Total of 19 or one less conference game than the 20 played in today's set-up.  Love to see this change.

For me, the biggest drawback of the A10 is the lack of Midwest schools.  We grab onto Dayton as our 'rival' because that is all we have.  But still, how many drive to Dayton for away games - me guess is very few.  If you can't get to an opponent's gym for a game, all you have is trash talking on message boards.  Has Brown Indian made St. Bonnie a hated rival?  Don't think so.

Give me 4 schools within a two hour drive any day over the spread we have now.  Media markets no longer mean what they once did.  I can get any A10 basketball game on my TV or computer.  I can read any news paper from any city on my computer.  Overlapping media markets is a term from the 1990's.

So give me Loyola.  Give me Bradley.  Give me Belmont.  Give me some more Midwest schools where we can develop something special.  Heck if UMSL was D1, I'd say bring them on in. 

31 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

How do you see these divisions.  Which 7 teams in the west?

50 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How do you see these divisions.  Which 7 teams in the west?

Well, after looking at a map of the schools, it just does not work without more western schools.  SLU and to a lesser degree, Dayton, are real outliers. com/ViewImage.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&PHOTOID=210469216

The problem with Loyola, and probably any other private MVC midwest school with a decent to average basketball program, is the Final 4 purse Loyola and MVC are due to get. The A10 is not the NBE with a fat Fox Sports TV contract that compensated X and Butler when they bolted the A10.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Has Brown Indian made St. Bonnie a hated rival?  Don't think so.

Seem to recall, back in the old CUSA days, we used to have some Marquette & Cincy trolls come on and talk some nice trash. We don't really have that with any A10 teams. Kind of miss it, made the board more fun. When Brown Indian comes with his feeble attempt at trash talk, who really cares. 

Also, used to remember those SIU (Methdale) trash going-at-it, those were classic.

31 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

The problem with Loyola, and probably any other private MVC midwest school with a decent to average basketball program, is the Final 4 purse Loyola and MVC are due to get. The A10 is not the NBE with a fat Fox Sports TV contract that compensated X and Butler when they bolted the A10.

I wonder if the A10 TV contract is better than the MVC?  Also, the A10 lets you keep 75% of the NCAA money - I think - with 25% going to the conference to be divided up among the other schools - what is the pay out % for the MVC?  You might be able to make a case for it.  My only problem with all this Loyola to the A10 is it really doesn't solve the geography issue.  The truth is while we can make a good case for staying in the A10 it would really be best to be in the BE but that is not going to happen anytime soon.  Also, the idea that we could form a new conference is a pipe dream. 

Does the MVC have a national broadcast contract? I've only seen MVC games on regional Fox sports stations. I get those because during the basketball season I subscribe to Directv Sports Pak. Infact I just cancelled mine last week and I'll re-subscribe next November to get Bills games. I'm sure Loyola, like Wichita did, get some Espn coverage next year. The A10 is broadcasted nationally on NBCSN and CBSSN. I wonder how much the A10 actually is paid for that? I bet nowhere near what the NBE gets from Fox Sports. 

As far as us going to the NBE, that ship has sailed. With Nova in the Final 4 probably again this year with all the other teams in the tourney and a great TV package, why would they want us?

Actually I feel the A10 did way better then expected this year in getting into the NCAA 3 teams. Not bad for a down year.

The A10 our home, let us make the best of it.

So who would the top contenders be to replace LaSalle if they were to leave? Maybe: 

• Northeastern or Boston University - access Boston media market, both with strong endowments, both are prior A10 Football members before dropping their programs)
  • Drexel - Philly replacement for LaSalle, bigger school, bigger endowment
  • College of Charleston and UNC Wilmington - also from the A10's historical feeder conference, have had more recent on court success, but are in small markets and have sub-$100mil endowments (similar $$ to La Salle) which might not go over well (although GMU and the Bonnies are also at the sub-$100 mil level).