Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, tarheelbilliken said:

I'll mention it, I hear Bernadette is high on bringing in Old  Dominion. Do we really want another Virginia state school?

I would be in favor of bringing in Loyola just to add a school in our time-zone. Don't be surprised if Porter splits after this is over. Loyola could be the just the annual Cinderella. Remember Florida Gulf Coast a few years back?

Porter Moser > Andy Enfield as a coach, person, etc. I don't think Porter will leave the lakeshore. Look at the track record of the Cinderella coaches that left their schools and the "success" they've had where they landed - from Shaka to Brad Underwood to John Groce - these guys haven't lit the world on fire at their next stops. I can't honestly think of a mid-major Cinderella coach dating back to Monson at Gonzaga that has repeated the post-season success from school A to school B. Would Thad Matta from X to OSU get a pass? In looking back, perhaps Jay Wright from Hofstra to Nova would be the only coach in the last 20 years to take a mid-major to the tournament then have a pretty consistent run with a power-5. I get the Catch-22 scenarios that are no-doubt in Porter's head right now - bolt for greener pastures and paychecks or stay at Loyola and run the risk that this year was a flash in the pan. Loyola's success will be huge for the Valley - wherever they play, I'm sure attendance will go up as fans from Peoria to Terre Haute will want to see a Final Four program.

Edit: Keno Davis.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Porter Moser > Andy Enfield as a coach, person, etc. I don't think Porter will leave the lakeshore. Look at the track record of the Cinderella coaches that left their schools and the "success" they've had where they landed - from Shaka to Brad Underwood to John Groce - these guys haven't lit the world on fire at their next stops. I can't honestly think of a mid-major Cinderella coach dating back to Monson at Gonzaga that has repeated the post-season success from school A to school B. Would Thad Matta from X to OSU get a pass? I get the Catch-22 scenarios that are no-doubt in Porter's head right now - bolt for greener pastures and paychecks or stay at Loyola and run the risk that this year was a flash in the pan. Loyola's success will be huge for the Valley - wherever they play, I'm sure attendance will go up as fans from Peoria to Terre Haute will want to see a Final Four program.

take the money if offered.   a coach can always go back to mid major land when fired but they might never get the big dollars again.  

Bobby Metzinger likes this

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

take the money if offered.   a coach can always go back to mid major land when fired but they might never get the big dollars again.  

+1, Steve Miller. But Porter's roots are in Chicago. I could see him bolting if/when Doug McDermott leaves or is asked to leave Creighton down the road, but do you see his system working at any major program (that is looking for a HC) right now?

35 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

+1, Steve Miller. But Porter's roots are in Chicago. I could see him bolting if/when Doug McDermott leaves or is asked to leave Creighton down the road, but do you see his system working at any major program (that is looking for a HC) right now?

im one of the few that is not a moser as head coach fan.   i say he is the perfect #1 recruiter and has proven it time and time again, but the instances of his doing an over the top great job as the x's and o's guy is not a good track record.   As taj pointed out, leading up to the last game he had barely squeeked by in all the previous games it wasnt like he was overpowering the opponent.  yes, it is great he won and many have never got that far, but still imo he doesnt really have the time tested record as a head coach to deserve a big time job.   that's why i say, if offered, he better take the money and run.  

hopefully he proves me wrong as porter moser is a wonderful man and one of the good guys.   he deserves all the happiness and success that comes his way.   

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Porter Moser > Andy Enfield as a coach, person, etc. I don't think Porter will leave the lakeshore. Look at the track record of the Cinderella coaches that left their schools and the "success" they've had where they landed - from Shaka to Brad Underwood to John Groce - these guys haven't lit the world on fire at their next stops. I can't honestly think of a mid-major Cinderella coach dating back to Monson at Gonzaga that has repeated the post-season success from school A to school B. Would Thad Matta from X to OSU get a pass? In looking back, perhaps Jay Wright from Hofstra to Nova would be the only coach in the last 20 years to take a mid-major to the tournament then have a pretty consistent run with a power-5. I get the Catch-22 scenarios that are no-doubt in Porter's head right now - bolt for greener pastures and paychecks or stay at Loyola and run the risk that this year was a flash in the pan. Loyola's success will be huge for the Valley - wherever they play, I'm sure attendance will go up as fans from Peoria to Terre Haute will want to see a Final Four program.

Self, Pearl, Weber, Beard, Kennedy?  

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Bill Self - sorry did not see Brian's post

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Self, Pearl, Weber, Beard, Kennedy?  

Are you talking about Bill Self taking Lon Kreuger's recruits to the tournament once he arrived in Champaign from Tulsa and are you also talking about Bruce Weber taking Bill Self's recruits to the National Championship game in '05? Asking for a friend (JMM28). Illinois fans and their rose petal glasses might scoff at the notion that both Self and Weber benefitted from more than full cupboards when they arrived at UIUC.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Romer

3 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Jim Larranaga=in his 7 yrs at Miami, 4 NCAAs w/ 2 Sweet 16s & 2 NITs. I am sure many more then you allude to.

Problem with Porter now is most P5/6 conference coaching vacancies are filled. He needs to have good start for next season to make some real $.  

1 minute ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Romer

Jim Larranaga=in his 7 yrs at Miami, 4 NCAAs w/ 2 Sweet 16s & 2 NITs. I am sure many more then you allude to.

Problem with Porter now is most P5/6 conference coaching vacancies are filled. He needs to have good start for next season to make some real $.  

Funny you mention Jim Larranaga - however, his consistency at a football school rarely goes noticed. Which is a shame - you're right to mention his name. The win Miami had in Chapel Hill on TarHeel senior night was one of the better wins by any team all season.

Rhody tabs Associate HC David Cox as new HC.  The Providence Journal reports 5 year at $700,000 per, which seems like a bargin these days.

Also from the article.  Harris is their stud recruit. 

The Rams are set to welcome a top-35 class featuring guards Brendan Adams and Tyrese Martin and forwards Dana Tate and Jermaine Harris. Martin, Tate and Harris have all stated their intentions on Twitter to follow through on their respective commitments. Cox was the lead recruiter on Dowtin, Russell, Adams, Martin and Harris and was a leading candidate for promotion as the next head coach."

Here's a short preview on the A-10 for next season from Andy Katz...

A-10: This is a tricky one. Will there be a team in the Power 36? Maybe not to start, but there are plenty of teams vying for spots. The consensus seems to be to lean toward Saint Joseph’s with Charlie Brown and Lamar Kimble back or Saint Louis with Jordan Goodwin, Jalen Johnson, Hasahn French and Javon Bess. But, don’t for a second dismiss Davidson. The Wildcats have a star in Kellan Grady. Yes, Peyton Aldridge is gone, but Davidson will be in the mix to win the league. Book it. Rhode Island is still a toss-up based on who returns and the unknowns seem to be VCU and Dayton. Regardless, the league should be deeper.

18 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here's a short preview on the A-10 for next season from Andy Katz...

A-10: This is a tricky one. Will there be a team in the Power 36? Maybe not to start, but there are plenty of teams vying for spots. The consensus seems to be to lean toward Saint Joseph’s with Charlie Brown and Lamar Kimble back or Saint Louis with Jordan Goodwin, Jalen Johnson, Hasahn French and Javon Bess. But, don’t for a second dismiss Davidson. The Wildcats have a star in Kellan Grady. Yes, Peyton Aldridge is gone, but Davidson will be in the mix to win the league. Book it. Rhode Island is still a toss-up based on who returns and the unknowns seem to be VCU and Dayton. Regardless, the league should be deeper.

-well, he mentions 4 for us and 2 for StJ's, 4 is more than 2, so we will win

From the looks of Dayton's roster they may not win 10 games next year but get a mention in every article about the A10.  Must be nice to make an elite eight.

Silly to have 1 team from the A10 making the tourney.  That hasn't happened in 14 years.  It will never happen again.  

48 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Silly to have 1 team from the A10 making the tourney.  That hasn't happened in 14 years.  It will never happen again.  

I would tend to agree with you there, but you know, Murphy's Law.  It will probably happen once, sometime down the road.  I doubt it will be in 2019, though.

50 minutes ago, thetorch said:

From the looks of Dayton's roster they may not win 10 games next year but get a mention in every article about the A10.  Must be nice to make an elite eight.

I wouldn't say never. It almost happened this year. If Bonaventure didn't go on a tear (and they were still one of the last four in), and if Rhody had won the conference tournament, we'd have seen just one bid.

Most of the league's key players were seniors. We think SLU will be the strongest team in the league, and no one looks like Rhode Island coming in to this season, a team that everyone figured would be a Tournament team. With a lot of roster turnover and no surefire Tournament contender, we could be looking at another situation in 2019 in which 1 bid is a possibility. (Possible, not probable.)

Just now, Pistol said:

I wouldn't say never. It almost happened this year. If Bonaventure didn't go on a tear (and they were still one of the last four in), and if Rhody had won the conference tournament, we'd have seen just one bid.

Most of the league's key players were seniors. We think SLU will be the strongest team in the league, and no one looks like Rhode Island coming in to this season, a team that everyone figured would be a Tournament team. With a lot of roster turnover and no surefire Tournament contender, we could be looking at another situation in 2019 in which 1 bid is a possibility. (Possible, not probable.)

It's ridiculous that Bonawelding even had to sweat it out. More evidence that they continue to try to screw non P5 conferences, which will make it increasingly difficult for the A10 going forward.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Sorta like how this years A10 was viewed as one of the worst in the longest time, and still got 3 in. 

Not really when you think about it ......the school is named for a legendary West Coast hooker named L.A. Sally ........the name was changed to protect the very non-innocent.