Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

Who's going where?  Some early reports on A10 players departing the motherland and going elsewhere .....

Tre Evans from Fordham to Southwestern Oklahoma State.

Tarin Smith from Duquesne to UConn.

Izaiah Brockington from Bonaventure to Penn State.

Of course, Ty Graves from us to North Carolina Central.

Xeriyus Williams from Dayton to Akron and old sot Sam Miller from Dayton to College of Charleston.

Joseph Chartonuy from Fordham to Marquette.

Still unannounced:  Nicholas Kratholm and Tydus Verhoeven, Duquesne; Gerald Blount, St. Joe's; Jair Bolden, George Washington; John Crosby and Jordan Pierce, Dayton; Khwan Fore, Richmond; Cavit Havsa and Perris Hicks, Fordham; and Markos Psimitis of Saint Louis. 

On the flip side, only three coming into the A10 on the transfer route, Ibi Watson from Michigan to Dayton, Blake Francis from Wagner to Richmond and Ryan Daily from Delaware to St. Joe's. 

And who's still ight on a full roster?  Davidson still has three open scholarships; Dayton also has three.  Duquesne has over committed by one.  Fordham is full up provided their six commits as freshman remain.  Mason has one spot left open; GeeDubya has two openings left; and La Salle has one opening.  Umass, my favorite, is overcommitted by one and has ten ... yep TEN ... open offers.  Rhodey is shy two players, Richmond and VCU are full up, Martelli is (as usual) short but only a pair, and the Bonnies have four roster spots still open.  We are currently considered full but the roster includes both Bishop and Welmer and we know one of those is likely not going to count in the long run.  And the official Billikken web site roster lists neither Bishop nor Goodwon but does include Santos and Welmer.  Plus the four departed (Roby, Hines, Anthony and Psimitis), which I understand pending graduation and transfer.

Matty Light likes this

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just passing along 'fake or real?' news found surfing the net.  I have no idea what the "BC Report" is.

SPRINGFIELD, MASS. – Just learned via reliable sources that Loyola-Chicago (32-6), is very interested in joining the high-major A-10 Basketball Conference for the 2018-19 season. Chicago is the 2nd largest media market in the nation and would expand the sprawling A-10 high-major media network market footprints big-time into the Windy City. The ACC has 15 teams as the A-10 would add another member to reach 15 teams as well. The A-10 had 15 members just a few seasons ago in the era of realignment of most major conferences shifted in mass membership changes.
The A-10 history of poaching Final 4 teams and Elite 8 top programs is legendary bringing in high-majors
programs with the likes of VCU, Butler, George Mason and Davidson over the last 6 seasons. It would appear to be a super perfect ideal coup for both the Loyola-Chicago Ramblers and the A-10 Conference.
The A-10 currently has 7 Catholic Schools out of its’ 14 programs.
By adding Loyola-Chicago, the A-10 Conference will add its’ 8th Catholic School, and spread a new high major powerful TV college basketball influence in the Midwest.
For Immediate Release – 6:40 EDT – “Insiders in the Birthplace News Report.”

SPRINGFIELD – Also just learned that the A-10 is also looking to add Detroit Mercy by 2020 making a 16 team power high-time super mega blockbuster high-major powerful TV College Basketball Conference that has the most top high major bigtime media markets in the nation locked up.
BC REPORT

Billikid and billiken_roy like this

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

"high-time super mega blockbuster high-major powerful" 

Seems legit to me... 

+1.

Getting Loyola would be great but they lost me on adding Detroit Mercy and the write up has to be a spoof.

25 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Was that translated from Japanese or something?

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It sounds like something a bot would come up with.

These were my thoughts, as well. I think it's from totallylegitimatesportsreporting.ru.

At least adding Loyola would give the conf two Central timezone teams, for what that's worth - probably nothing but it would help travel if the conf decided to go with 3, 5-team divisions.  That would be 8 intra-division games plus one against each of the remaining 10 schools on an alternating home and away basis.

I don't know which 2 teams would join us, Loyola and Dayton in the "West Division", probably Duq and one still to be named later, but please NOT the Bonnies, although they might be the most likely.  Travel could be held down, in all sports not just basketball, by pairing schools for travel.  For example one year do GMU and GW and the next year Richmond and VCU on a Thursday/Saturday trip.  Plus for the other 2 Divisions, a Loyola/SLU trip makes travel cost sense.  For those still holding on to the All-Catholic conference dream a Division of SLU/Loyola/Dayton/Duq and St. B would at least give you an All Catholic Division.

The other 2 Divisions could be something like UM/URI/Ford/St. J./Lasalle  and the other Rich/VCU/GMU/GW/Davidson  also holding down travel costs and possibly helping build rivalries.

None of this will likely happen, but it would be welcomed, at least by this poster.

Edited by bauman
additional facts
Zink and billiken_roy like this

Colonials was/is always a stupid name for the GW mascot .  Didn't the real GW lead troops in a war to help create a new nation to not be a fricking colonial?  Both the colonial and tilky should probably be banned but I'd ban the colonial first.......

I think @Billiken Rich got it right: "Colonials was/is always a stupid name for the GW mascot. Didn't the real GW lead troops in a war to help create a new nation to not be a fricking colonial?"

It's weird to give your school a nickname that doesn't even apply to the population anymore.

Also, I wasn't sure if it was really a noun, but it technically is - "An inhabitant of a colony" or the noun form to describe the Colonial style of architecture/art/furniture. I guess it sounds a little fancier than "Colonists" if that's what you're going for, but whatever. I wish the context of the petition were "This nickname isn't quite accurate! The George Washington University Pedant Society demands action now!"

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think @Billiken Rich got it right: "Colonials was/is always a stupid name for the GW mascot. Didn't the real GW lead troops in a war to help create a new nation to not be a fricking colonial?"

It's weird to give your school a nickname that doesn't even apply to the population anymore.

Also, I wasn't sure if it was really a noun, but it technically is - "An inhabitant of a colony" or the noun form to describe the Colonial style of architecture/art/furniture. I guess it sounds a little fancier than "Colonists" if that's what you're going for, but whatever. I wish the context of the petition were "This nickname isn't quite accurate! The George Washington University Pedant Society demands action now!"

How many Orangeman, Volunteers, Illni, Sooners and most importantly BILLIKENS are a part of 2018's population?  😁😏  (Blue font)

51 minutes ago, bauman said:

How many Orangeman, Volunteers, Illni, Sooners and most importantly BILLIKENS are a part of 2018's population?  😁😏  (Blue font)

Billikens are everywhere. Commoners just aren't smart enough to find them.

7 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Colonials was/is always a stupid name for the GW mascot .  Didn't the real GW lead troops in a war to help create a new nation to not be a fricking colonial?  Both the colonial and tilky should probably be banned but I'd ban the colonial first.......

I actually never thought of it this way but I think that is a great insight and actually lends itself to an easy name change: GW would probably make more sense as "Patriots" but that name is so common and played out. There are Patriots in the A10 already right down the road at George Mason. Why not change the team moniker to "Continentals?" 

George Washington was the leader of the Continental Army. The leadership role that lead him to being one of our founding fathers and the first President of our nation. Its can't even be perceived as offensive by even the most hyper politically-correct progressive. 

I would consider myself just left of center, but I can't even begin to process "Colonials" as offensive. There are various arguments to be made about mascots and nicknames portraying Native Peoples, but Colonials? GTFO. Also, being a hippo is dumb, when I text this article to a fellow Billiken this morning he commented, "Hippos probably have the greatest disparity of any animal in terms of fierceness uninspiring, facetious mascot." Which I think is right on point. No one wants to be a friggin Hippo. It doesn't have any of the whimsical charm that makes being a Billiken so friggin fun.  Continentals is the best choice. Its nearly the same word from a pronunciation standpoint, but makes infinitely more sense. I should be in marketing. 

I can't for the life of me find a historical reference on the internet that explains on GW became the Colonials, but its lame, move on... Just not to Hippos. 

Billiken Rich and Pistol like this

1 minute ago, prebilliken said:

I can't for the life of me find a historical reference on the internet that explains on GW became the Colonials, but its lame, move on... Just not to Hippos. 

And just like that, I found it: Nicknames and Mascots | GW Libraries

3 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

And just like that, I found it: Nicknames and Mascots | GW Libraries

Also, another "fun fact, if you will, I lived at GW for a summer semester two summers in a row for internships during my time at SLU, their dorms make DeMatt look like the penthouse suite at the Ritz Carlton in Maui. 

Its a weird campus, obviously very urban feeling being in the heart of DC, but it really makes you appreciate how well SLU manages having an urban campus and all the green space we have. Coming back to SLU felt like what I imagine getting out of prison feels like. GDub's location in the middle of DC makes for some cool opportunities, but you really don't get the any sense of the "traditional" campus experience. 

2 hours ago, prebilliken said:

I actually never thought of it this way but I think that is a great insight and actually lends itself to an easy name change: GW would probably make more sense as "Patriots" but that name is so common and played out. There are Patriots in the A10 already right down the road at George Mason. Why not change the team moniker to "Continentals?" 

George Washington was the leader of the Continental Army. The leadership role that lead him to being one of our founding fathers and the first President of our nation. Its can't even be perceived as offensive by even the most hyper politically-correct progressive. 

I would consider myself just left of center, but I can't even begin to process "Colonials" as offensive. There are various arguments to be made about mascots and nicknames portraying Native Peoples, but Colonials? GTFO. Also, being a hippo is dumb, when I text this article to a fellow Billiken this morning he commented, "Hippos probably have the greatest disparity of any animal in terms of fierceness uninspiring, facetious mascot." Which I think is right on point. No one wants to be a friggin Hippo. It doesn't have any of the whimsical charm that makes being a Billiken so friggin fun.  Continentals is the best choice. Its nearly the same word from a pronunciation standpoint, but makes infinitely more sense. I should be in marketing. 

I like continentals a hell of a lot better!  (natural tie-in for the coach's car too!)

14 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Good research. I read up on their mascots, too, and they had some weird ones - and a lot of disagreement over them - around the time we adopted the Billiken.

At least Hippos does have *some* history with GW athletics (in the last two paragraphs of prebilliken's link above, if anyone is curious), but it's a little weak for trying to tie the school, city, athletics, and student body together. They can do better. Continentals makes more sense than Colonials, for sure. Cowboy does raise a fair point, though.

I'm 100% with you on your take on this "controversy", too. These students could actually have a stronger case and get a lot more attention if they devoted their energy to the city's NFL nickname.