Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

3 minutes ago, Compton said:

So who would the top contenders be to replace LaSalle if they were to leave? Maybe: 

• Northeastern or Boston University - access Boston media market, both with strong endowments, both are prior A10 Football members before dropping their programs)
  • Drexel - Philly replacement for LaSalle, bigger school, bigger endowment
  • College of Charleston and UNC Wilmington - also from the A10's historical feeder conference, have had more recent on court success, but are in small markets and have sub-$100mil endowments (similar $$ to La Salle) which might not go over well (although GMU and the Bonnies are also at the sub-$100 mil level). 

Doesn't UMass give you access to Boston market.  I know it is not actually in Boston but close enough.  We already have Philly with St. Joe, we should be trying to expand the footprint not condense it.  UNC Wilmington - what do you get with them or Charleston? - nothing but I am willing to be educated.  As much as I know the conference is not interested in pushing west that is really where they need to go - Cleveland, Chicago (I know we already had the Loyola discussion) but where else that strengthens the conference TV presence.  Here is a novel idea - why bother to replace them.  I really think this conference should actually shrink a couple of teams - who, who knows.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Compton said:

So who would the top contenders be to replace LaSalle if they were to leave? Maybe: 

• Northeastern or Boston University - access Boston media market, both with strong endowments, both are prior A10 Football members before dropping their programs)
  • College of Charleston and UNC Wilmington - also from the A10's historical feeder conference, have had more recent on court success, but are in small markets and have sub-$100mil endowments (similar $$ to La Salle) which might not go over well (although GMU and the Bonnies are also at the sub-$100 mil level). 

Find me a school further west 

4 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Seem to recall, back in the old CUSA days, we used to have some Marquette & Cincy trolls come on and talk some nice trash. We don't really have that with any A10 teams. Kind of miss it, made the board more fun. When Brown Indian comes with his feeble attempt at trash talk, who really cares. 

Also, used to remember those SIU (Methdale) trash going-at-it, those were classic.

MUDKAT is a VCU troll that used to come around but stopped after Loe, McCall, Jett, Evans graduated.

.I do not recall any trash talking with Brown Indian he seems like a good Bonnie fan that drops by on occasion.

You still have plenty SPUMAC trolls to beat up on.

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

MUDKAT is a VCU troll that used to come around but stopped after Loe, McCall, Jett, Evans graduated.

.I do not recall any trash talking with Brown Indian he seems like a  weird Bonnie fan that drops by on occasion.

You still have plenty SPUMAC trolls to beat up on.

FIFY

1 hour ago, Compton said:

I would vote no on all of those teams if I was SLU.  Don’t need multiple teams in Philly, Wilmington and Charleston are both really small media markets (Springfield, MO is bigger than both) and you don’t need another team from Mass.  

The team that should be target of the A10 as a replacement is Loyola.  Belmont makes more sense than those schools.  Hell, Bradley would be a better option than the those teams. I would even consider NKU before those other teams. Or, just go with 13 teams.

billikenfan05 and AGB91 like this

As long as we play at least 18 conference games I'm good with shrinking the conference of bottom feeders.   

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Kick Fordham to the curb already and have a 12 team conference all with teams that are actually trying to have good teams.

No wait - we would then lose the NY market.  I am reminded of the time when the Bonnies were the doormats and look what has happened.  I feel uncomfortable fingering any team to be kicked to the curb.  If LaSalle decides to drop out then my guess is a it will solve itself.  Nothing wrong with playing with 13 teams.

Is there any precedent for a conference forcing a team (that is in financial and academic good standing) out? I don't think that's how college athletic conferences work. 

Should a team choose to leave (e.g. La Salle), keeping it at 13 might be the way to go. Those teams I listed (or Bradley, NKU or Belmont which also don't make geographic sense) don't seem to bring a whole lot to the table.

Adding Loyola would be the same move as adding George Mason, except Loyola doesn't have a track record of competitive basketball that GMU did under Jim Larranaga (although they are in the 3rd largest media market). We all know what GMU has brought to the table. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Kick Fordham to the curb already and have a 12 team conference all with teams that are actually trying to have good teams.

My guess is the many of the east coast teams want Fordham in the conference.  It gives them a chance to fundraise with their NYC alumni.  It is the same reason SLU and Dayton should demand a Chicago team in the conference.  

If the A10 really tries to add more teams from Philly, VA, Boston, NC and/or SC, I think schools like SLU, Dayton, St. Joe, Duquesne and Richmond really need to explore their options. I really don’t think a newer version of the CAA labeled the A10 is all that attractive to them.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is the many of the east coast teams want Fordham in the conference.  It gives them a chance to fundraise with their NYC alumni.  It is the same reason SLU and Dayton should demand a Chicago team in the conference.  

If the A10 really tries to add more teams from Philly, VA, Boston, NC and/or SC, I think schools like SLU, Dayton, St. Joe, Duquesne and Richmond really need to explore their options. I really don’t think a newer version of the CAA labeled the A10 is all that attractive to them.

Good point on the fund raising - had not thought of it.  The question then is what are their viable options?

12 minutes ago, Compton said:

Is there any precedent for a conference forcing a team (that is in financial and academic good standing) out? I don't think that's how college athletic conferences work. 

Should a team choose to leave (e.g. La Salle), keeping it at 13 might be the way to go. Those teams I listed (or Bradley, NKU or Belmont which also don't make geographic sense) don't seem to bring a whole lot to the table.

Adding Loyola would be the same move as adding George Mason, except Loyola doesn't have a track record of competitive basketball that GMU did under Jim Larranaga (although they are in the 3rd largest media market). We all know what GMU has brought to the table. 

Adding Loyola adds the Chicago market.  It, also, isn’t in the same media market as one of your current teams like Mason was.  Loyola makes geographic sense for Dayton, SLU and even Duquesne.   Just as NKU and Belmont do.  One of those two either gets you back into Cincy (NKU) or gets you into rapidly growing Nashville.  

Belmont has either made the NIT or NCAA in 8 of the last ten seasons.  In the last 14 seasons Belmont has won 20 or more games 13 times.

NKU has only been eligible for the NCAA and NIT for two seasons. They made the NCAA the first year and the NIT this year. They have made a huge financial commitment.

I am not really advocating for Bradley.  I was just stating they make more sense from a SLU perspective than the schools you listed. 

AGB91 likes this

14 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Forget about any Midwest school joining the A10, Old Dominion is the school on the Bernadette's radar:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/article_c9b2ee67-6367-5a76-b8f2-146d6b38d137.html

Obviously this is all speculation on this guys part, but that scenario would be a double whammy screw job for SLU. UConn takes a Big East expansion spot and A10 adds another mediocre east coast program. 

25 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Forget about any Midwest school joining the A10, Old Dominion is the school on Bernadette's radar:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/article_c9b2ee67-6367-5a76-b8f2-146d6b38d137.html

Thank you for sharing Tarheel it looks promising based on the following quotes from the article.

"The Atlantic 10 is a multi-bid league that would be far better for ODU. And guess what A-10 commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade told the Norfolk Sports Club last year? The A-10 would welcome ODU.

ODU fans would drool about having Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason and Richmond back as league rivals, and the A-10 basketball tournament is in Washington, D.C., not Frisco, Texas. They would have a reasonable chance again of following their Monarchs."

16 hours ago, Compton said:

FB313D32-839B-4731-81F7-16BF48281096.gif

22 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Obviously this is all speculation on this guys part, but that scenario would be a double whammy screw job for SLU. UConn takes a Big East expansion spot and A10 adds another mediocre east coast program. 

UConn has football - none of the Big East schools have a D1 football program - that is why the original BE broke apart - the current BE is basketball only.  

15 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for sharing Tarheel it looks promising based on the following quotes from the article.

"The Atlantic 10 is a multi-bid league that would be far better for ODU. And guess what A-10 commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade told the Norfolk Sports Club last year? The A-10 would welcome ODU.

ODU fans would drool about having Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason and Richmond back as league rivals, and the A-10 basketball tournament is in Washington, D.C., not Frisco, Texas. They would have a reasonable chance again of following their Monarchs."

Well clearly the A10 may want to get rid of us and Dayton.  I guess we could use that to negotiate  good withdrawal terms if we find another conference that is better.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

UConn has football - none of the Big East schools have a D1 football program - that is why the original BE broke apart - the current BE is basketball only.  

I understand that. The article talked about a football only conference forming, attracting UConn, and thus allowing them to rejoin the Big East. A long shot at best. 

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think it's a little more then speculation being that A10 Headquarters is just down the road from ODU. Why the headquarters is in the Tidewater makes me want to believe they want expand in the Middle Atlantic area.

Mediocre, I don't know about that either. Not fantastic but if you look at ODUs-RPIs, attendance &  post season tourney participation for the last 10 years it is better then 80% of the current A10 members. Or some midwest schools previously mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dominion_Monarchs_basketball

I am not in favor of ODU but it is pretty safe to say this is where the conference is heading with the last admission being Davidson. Personally I like to see Belmont. Nashville close to me and a neat city to visit. Also, I think it's doable being Belmont an odd fit for the OVC. May needs to get over to Newport News to start advocating and networking.