Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

52 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Forget about any Midwest school joining the A10, Old Dominion is the school on Bernadette's radar:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/article_c9b2ee67-6367-5a76-b8f2-146d6b38d137.html

So the plan McGlade seems to support is adding ODU and Charlotte.  Conference has no need for two teams in the Charlotte metro area and doesn't need another team less than a two hour drive from the two teams in Richmond.  This plan we cause the A10 to implode like the WAC did back in 1999.  

I actually really hope McGlade does this. SLU wouldn't have to go looking to the AAC as a landing spot.  You could form a really nice 10 team conference with the members that would hate the new A10 and teams in lower conferences looking to move up.  

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I think it's a little more then speculation being that A10 Headquarters is just down the road from ODU. Why the headquarters is in the Tidewater makes me want to believe they want expand in the Middle Atlantic area.

Mediocre, I don't know about that either. Not fantastic but if you look at ODUs-RPIs, attendance &  post season tourney participation for the last 10 years it is better then 80% of the current A10 members. Or some midwest schools previously mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dominion_Monarchs_basketball

I am not in favor of ODU but it is pretty safe to say this is where the conference is heading with the last admission being Davidson. Personally I like to see Belmont. Nashville close to me and a neat city to visit. Also, I think it's doable being Belmont an odd fit for the OVC. May needs to get over to Newport News to start advocating and networking.  

I think Davidson would explore their options if that column's plan happened.  Their is nothing for Davidson in a conference where big state schools are gaining power and is adding a team in their home market.  I think Richmond would be looking for the eject button, too.  Richmond left the CAA for a reason last century.  I don't think that the conference McGlade envisions serves the needs of any of the big city Catholic schools.

Gosh the A10 is too big as it is. As BrianSTL pointed out, we run the risk of getting too big and imploding this conference. Although their attendance record is very impressive and following seems fairly strong. 1) there is no zeal in adding ODU 2) if charlotte and ODU join then thats adding 4 mid-atlantic (some would say southern) public schools since 2012. Can't imagine SLU or Dayton, or really any team that isn't a potential geographical rival would welcome this idea. 

Also note on the Big East, from what I've heard, the BE isn't interested at all in UConn. They are very content with 10 teams. Every team plays each other twice. The only reason I could foresee them adding a couple more is to help teams make the tourney a bit more. Marquette was a very talented team that in most other conferences would have probably made the tourney but went 9-9 losing to X and Nova each twice.

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So the plan McGlade seems to support is adding ODU and Charlotte.  Conference has no need for two teams in the Charlotte metro area and doesn't need another team less than a two hour drive from the two teams in Richmond.  This plan we cause the A10 to implode like the WAC did back in 1999.  

I actually really hope McGlade does this. SLU wouldn't have to go looking to the AAC as a landing spot.  You could form a really nice 10 team conference with the members that would hate the new A10 and teams in lower conferences looking to move up.  

She wants to take Charlotte back - they left the A10 - crazy!

15 minutes ago, BourbanStreet said:

Gosh the A10 is too big as it is. IAs BrianSTL pointed out, we run the risk of getting too big and imploding this conference. Although their attendance record is very impressive and following seems fairly strong. 1) there is no zeal in adding ODU 2) if charlotte and ODU join then thats adding 4 mid-atlantic (some would say southern) public schools since 2012. Can't imagine SLU or Dayton, or really any team that isn't a potential geographical rival would welcome this idea. 

it is my opinion that one of the main reasons for these now super large number of members conferences is to offset the need to play a couple /few of the buy games that kill rpi's.   they all want 18-20 game conference games instead of say 16 and those few more games with higher likely rpi's than the bottom feeders the programs would have to buy at a premium cost go away and help them with the rpi needs for the tourney.   

that said, i dont want to be adding teams just to be adding teams.   if to get to a 16 program conference means adding 250+ rpi programs, then no thanks.  as someone remarked yesterday, the likes of fordham isnt going anywhere so getting down to an even number of programs to balance a conference schedule isnt going to happen.   so if lasalle truly is leaving D1 we will undoubtedly at least take one more program to substitute for Lasalles exit.  my guess is we will actually expand and take 3 more programs.   i just hope we find programs that are more akin with the top of the conference qualitywise than the bottom.  

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

-a good idea, who will lead it? I don't see anyone with an office in Chaifetz or DuBourg stepping up for this, hope I am missing someone

On the left coast, the WCC is changing its scheduling.  Going from an 18-game round robin to a 16-game league menu.  In the conference tournament, seven thru 10 will play-in with those winners getting five and six.  The top two get a bye to the semis.  only twp non D1 opponents allowed and each team has to get into some sort of in-season tournament.  All teams must play more home games than road games.  The league will decide if some opponents will be accepted.

This is based on the WCC believing Gonzaga got underrated and St. Mary's, #25 in the nation, was left out due to lack of league respect.  Interesting.

54 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

All teams must play more home games than road games.  The league will decide if some opponents will be accepted.

That's interesting. I thought under the new quadrant system that teams got more credit for away wins. No idea what that second sentence means. 

1 hour ago, Compton said:

That's interesting. I thought under the new quadrant system that teams got more credit for away wins. No idea what that second sentence means. 

I think it means the league has the final say on who the non-conference opponents each team plays are which would be very interesting,

The league office is getting involved especially when an opponents pays a WCC team to come into town as a "guaranteed" opponent.  In other words "buy games."  I guess if SLU approached one the WCC teams to get on our schedule and play at Chaifetz just for the guaranteed money (i.e. no home-and-home), then the WCC league offices will have a say in whether or not said WCC team would accept the offer. 

To me, its another version of rock-you-hard place in terms of the mid-majors.  Folks will play St. Mary's but they have to come to them.  No one will entertain thoughts of a home-and-home with say Portland or Pacific I guess.  So now the league is saying we'll decide who you can go to for these guarantee games.  Maybe not decide, but at least wade into the pool and see if they can help ensure the member schools are doing what they can to advance the overall league. 

And I stand corrected .. th eleague will only get involved for these buy games, not all games.  This will all start after next year ---- the tournament seedings, playing ina multi-team event each year, mor ehoem than road games and no more than two D2 school son the schedule.  Issue was quoted as Gonzaga getting a 4 seed despite being ranked 8th in country and St. Mary's getting snubbed even with 25 wins (not ranked 25th as I said above). 

UMBC upped their ante for "hot" coach Ryan Odom. Exact terms were not announced but it sweetens his pot above his $230k salary of this year.  Write this down:  you won't hear from the Retrievers again for another decade.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The league office is getting involved especially when an opponents pays a WCC team to come into town as a "guaranteed" opponent.  In other words "buy games."  I guess if SLU approached one the WCC teams to get on our schedule and play at Chaifetz just for the guaranteed money (i.e. no home-and-home), then the WCC league offices will have a say in whether or not said WCC team would accept the offer. 

To me, its another version of rock-you-hard place in terms of the mid-majors.  Folks will play St. Mary's but they have to come to them.  No one will entertain thoughts of a home-and-home with say Portland or Pacific I guess.  So now the league is saying we'll decide who you can go to for these guarantee games.  Maybe not decide, but at least wade into the pool and see if they can help ensure the member schools are doing what they can to advance the overall league. 

And I stand corrected .. th eleague will only get involved for these buy games, not all games.  This will all start after next year ---- the tournament seedings, playing ina multi-team event each year, mor ehoem than road games and no more than two D2 school son the schedule.  Issue was quoted as Gonzaga getting a 4 seed despite being ranked 8th in country and St. Mary's getting snubbed even with 25 wins (not ranked 25th as I said above). 

Even if the league does something like this the NCAA will find another way to keep a St. Mary's out - remember when the MVC figured out how to beat the system and got a number of teams then the NCAA decided to change the system they were using.  Bottom line is the NCAA still wants all the P6 schools they can get in.  Chicago Loyola is their worst nightmare.

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach Integrity just got hosed to the tune of $21,226.42 per minute for the services of Michael Porter Jr.  Great Deal Coach!!

This always makes me laugh, not the best deal for the state tax supported school.

This is why MUTGR crawled out from under his rock to troll our site because he is so butt hurt over the Porter's not delivering.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Even if the league does something like this the NCAA will find another way to keep a St. Mary's out - remember when the MVC figured out how to beat the system and got a number of teams then the NCAA decided to change the system they were usingBottom line is the NCAA still wants all the P6 schools they can get in.  Chicago Loyola is their worst nightmare.

-yep, I don't know if the changes will be announced or just filtered to those in the P6 that need to know, but there will be a change or changes, UMBC is also not one of their favorites

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-yep, I don't know if the changes will be announced or just filtered to those in the P6 that need to know, but there will be a change or changes, UMBC is also not one of their favorites

You have to think that the UMBC/LUC story has increased viewership? I know I wasn't watching the UVA/UMBC game until I saw the score a few minutes into the 2nd.

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Mark Schmidt has decided to stay at St. Bonaventure and is no longer a candidate at Pitt, per Jeff Goodman.

Great news for the A10. Need strong opponents...

Good news thank you for sharing.  I wonder if there is enough money to get a good coach from a smaller program to sign with Pitt?

So Miles Reynolds plays one year at Pacific, averaging 13.3 ppg for a 14 and 18 team, and he's ready to go pro? 

Amazing how well I can balance perched out on that limb there.  Thanks JJU.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

So Miles Reynolds plays one year at Pacific, averaging 13.3 ppg for a 14 and 18 team, and he's ready to go pro? 

There are a lot of pro leagues around the world. Reggie Agbeko is playing in the pros in Denmark for example.