Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

Just now, kshoe said:

Unfortunately, I think we are going to be dealing with this kind of junk next year with TF. Such is the life when you aren't in a power conference.

Or even when you are a 1 seed like Xavier and a job like Louisville opens up...

I would bet you are right. I hope SLU has the money and backbone to step up to the table in that case. 

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I would bet you are right. I hope SLU has the money and backbone to step up to the table in that case. 

Not to sound hopeless, but we'll never have the kind of money BCS programs if it comes down to a bidding war. These schools have football money to cover football and other sports and can have basketball basically break-even, whereas we need basketball to pay for all the other sports. Throw in that the A10 tv contract is peanuts compared to the BE and its an uphill battle, before you factor in the prestige factor of being in those bigger conferences.

For us to keep TF (or any desirable coach) we'll need a coach that recognizes the value of being the biggest fish in a small pond, the benefits of the St. Louis talent pool with limited competition for recruits and a family that desires to stay in St. Louis. I think it does help in TF's case that he has been there done that with the power BCS school and it ended poorly so maybe he'll see the grass is not always greener.

50 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Unfortunately, I think we are going to be dealing with this kind of junk next year with TF. Such is the life when you aren't in a power conference.

I think it will take more than one season from Ford of making the tournament and winning a game or two to get an offer that would make him want to leave.  Unlike Hurley and some others, Ford has a track record at a P5 school.  

50 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think it will take more than one season from Ford of making the tournament and winning a game or two to get an offer that would make him want to leave.  Unlike Hurley and some others, Ford has a track record at a P5 school.  

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

38 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Not to sound hopeless, but we'll never have the kind of money BCS programs if it comes down to a bidding war. These schools have football money to cover football and other sports and can have basketball basically break-even, whereas we need basketball to pay for all the other sports. Throw in that the A10 tv contract is peanuts compared to the BE and its an uphill battle, before you factor in the prestige factor of being in those bigger conferences.

For us to keep TF (or any desirable coach) we'll need a coach that recognizes the value of being the biggest fish in a small pond, the benefits of the St. Louis talent pool with limited competition for recruits and a family that desires to stay in St. Louis. I think it does help in TF's case that he has been there done that with the power BCS school and it ended poorly so maybe he'll see the grass is not always greener.

-I agree and I have to think CFord will always have the memory of S2 which is certainly not a pro when the pro - con list is developed

billiken_roy likes this

URI reportedly offered Hurls $2 million/year for 7 years and a new practice facility to be completed within 2 years per Jeff Goodman. Everyone knew going in UConn already had a dedicated practice facility in place and could top URI by at least a million for any offer.

Now is next man up at Rhody David Cox?  URI fans are assuming David Cox will get the head job since he has been the Associate Head Coach per Hurley's last extension. If Cox is not hired URI will have to pay him a buyout, plus Cox is responsible for recruiting a majority of the current underclassman and the incoming class.

Two other names surfacing are Nate Oats from Buffalo and John Becker from Vermont.  Oats was on Bobby Hurley's staff at Buffalo and earned the promotion after he left for ASU.

Edited by HoosierPal

Hurley followed in the footsteps of Archie Miller at Dayton.  Neither was a one-and-done player in the conference nor the Dance.  They parlayed multiple appearances reinforced by decent enough recruiting for the A10, and a bevy of four-year players who, coincidentally, graduated just as Miller and now Hurley jumped ship.  Sure, Ford has a BCS/Power 5 history but he was let go for failure to advance upward some have said.  I think it will take at least two consecutive runs from him and SLU to erase any remaining stigma from the OSU experience to make him "hot" again. 

UConn got Hurley on a six-year contract worth an estimated $3 million per year.  The New York Daily News reports that is triple what he was getting at Rhodey.  I don't think Rhodey could fight city hall there and I think Hurley was not going to stay and give Rhodey any kind of discount deal.  I don't believe any coach who says that without some previous demonstration from said coach (ala Marshall at Wichita, Few at Gonzaga, and so on).  They ALL say that.  You know Chris Mack is going to say it.  You know Sean Miller is denying the Pitt rumors already.  Reports say Hurley not only played UConn against Rhode Island, but he had a more lucrative offer to go to Pitt.  Neither job does much for me although UConn has a better history in terms of national titles.  Remember the rule:  you have to look out for Number #1.  Which is yourself and the family in the long run.  Former UConn assistant Tome Morre, currently on Hurley's URI staff, is expected to go to Storrs with Hurley.  Pitt's offer was for like $3.6 million per year but I just can't see Pitt ever competing year-in and year-out in basketball with the likes of Duke, UNC, Uva and other ACC foes.  That's a coach just waiting to be fired.  UConn has a less tough road to hoe to get to enough Dances.  Rumors for the Rhodey fill right now focus on David Cox who some outlets say was the coach-in-waiting there.

As for the roster, as stated previously, five guys leave URI's rotation with graduation.  The question now is what happens to Jeff Dowtin and Fats Russell.  These would appear to be the only two guys on the current roster "marketable" for transfer.  Do they follow the coach or stay put?  Also, Hurley had three Letters-of-Intent with 3-star PG Brendan Adams, and two-star SG and SF Tyrese Martin and Dana Tate.  The biggest fish in that pond however is 4-star PF Jermaine Harris who verballed to Hurley but never signed a LOI.  UConn fans are hoping Harris comes with Hurley as a package deal.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Hurley followed in the footsteps of Archie Miller at Dayton.  Neither was a one-and-done player in the conference nor the Dance.  They parlayed multiple appearances reinforced by decent enough recruiting for the A10, and a bevy of four-year players who, coincidentally, graduated just as Miller and now Hurley jumped ship.  Sure, Ford has a BCS/Power 5 history but he was let go for failure to advance upward some have said.  I think it will take at least two consecutive runs from him and SLU to erase any remaining stigma from the OSU experience to make him "hot" again. 

UConn got Hurley on a six-year contract worth an estimated $3 million per year.  The New York Daily News reports that is triple what he was getting at Rhodey.  I don't think Rhodey could fight city hall there and I think Hurley was nto going to stay and give Rhodey any kind of discount deal.  I don't believe any coach who says that without some previous demonstration from sai dcoach (ala Marshall at Wichita, Few at Gonzaga, and so on).  They ALL say that.  You know Chris Mack is going to say it.  You know Sean Miller is denying the Pitt rumors already.  Reports say Hurley not only played UConn against Rhode Island, but he had a more lucrative offer to go to Pitt.  Neither job does much for me although UConn has a better history in terms of national titles.  Remember the rule:  you have to look out for Number #1.  Which is yourself and the family in the long run.  Former UConn assistant Tome Morre, currently on Hurley's URI staff, is expected to go to Storrs with Hurley.  Pitt's offer was for like $3.6 million per year but I just can't see Pitt ever competing year-in and year-out in basketball with the likes of Duke, UNC, Uva and other ACC foes.  That's a coach just waiting to be fired.  UConn has a less tough road to hoe to get to enough Dances.  Rumors for the Rhodey fill right now focus on David Cox who some outlets say was the coach-in-waiting there.

As for the roster, as stated previously, five guys leave URI's rotation with graduation.  The question now is what happens to Jeff Dowtin and Fats Russell.  These would appear to be th eonyl two guys on the current roster "marketable" for transfer.  Do they follow the coach or stay put?  Also, Hurley had three Letters-of-Intent with 3-star PG Brendan Adams, and two-star SG and SF Tyrese Martin and Dana Tate.  The bigets fish in that pond however is 4-start PF Jermaine Harris who verballed to Hurley but never signed a LOI.  UConn fans are hopiogn Harris comes with Hurley as a package deal.

-smart move by the kid

14 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Don't know where to put this but Dayton is going to look much different next year. Kostas has apparently left, in addition to others. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/three-more-players-leaving-dayton-basketball-program/Ezjn4WO4VxLwAks1UtQiBL/

Combine the Pitt and UD rosters and you could maybe field a starting 5

22 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Don't know where to put this but Dayton is going to look much different next year. Kostas has apparently left, in addition to others. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/three-more-players-leaving-dayton-basketball-program/Ezjn4WO4VxLwAks1UtQiBL/

-wow, big blow to SVU and the league with their version of the Greek leaving, I was looking forward to watching him play

-it seems the conf could use some good news....like it is May 21 and all SLU players we think and hope will be enrolled in summer classes are enrolled and attending

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wow, big blow to SVU and the league with their version of the Greek leaving, I was looking forward to watching him play

-it seems the conf could use some good news....like it is May 21 and all SLU players we think and hope will be enrolled in summer classes are enrolled and attending

They said his season high was 14 but I felt like he had like 20 in the second half against SLU in the last game. 

French will have the better college career but I liked Kostas

Kostas is a high-ceiling kid who could find a home on just about any roster in D-I, because even the highest-level programs will take a chance on a kid like that. Plus, he'll have another sit-out year to condition and practice.

5 departures without a coaching change, though? Man. I bet a lot of these guys wish they'd have jumped last season. Grant is not showing to be a good hire at this point.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Kostas is a high-ceiling kid who could find a home on just about any roster in D-I, because even the highest-level programs will take a chance on a kid like that. Plus, he'll have another sit-out year to condition and practice.

5 departures without a coaching change, though? Man. I bet a lot of these guys wish they'd have jumped last season. Grant is not showing to be a good hire at this point.

On Kostas, speculation is that he is headed overseas to pursue a pro career. He dropped out of school according to the article and Twitter. 

Edit: confirmed by Dayton that Kostas is attempting to play overseas.  http://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/3/22/mens-basketball-daytonmbb-announces-roster-updates.aspx 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It looks like Kostas is headed to Europe.  He has dropped out of school. Plus, there is no plus to a kid who is his age and as raw as he is not playing for a whole year.  If his game is going to advance, he needs to be on the court.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It looks like Kostas is headed to Europe.  He has dropped out of school. Plus, there is no plus to a kid who is his age and as raw as he is not playing for a whole year.  If his game is going to advance, he needs to be on the court.

Maybe he will get the Chris Smith/ Jr Smith treatment and get an NBA contract 

2 minutes ago, Bills71 said:

Is it true that a A10 transfer to another A10 school does Not have to sit out at all?  

And couldn't we use the greek??

Uh, no.  It's an NCAA rule that any transfer from one four-year school to another must sit out two semesters in residence unless (i) the destination school is in a lower division or (ii) the student athlete has graduated and other criteria are met.

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Uh, no.  It's an NCAA rule that any transfer from one four-year school to another must sit out two semesters in residence unless (i) the destination school is in a lower division or (ii) the student athlete has graduated and other criteria are met.

ty

23 minutes ago, Bills71 said:

Is it true that a A10 transfer to another A10 school does Not have to sit out at all?  

And couldn't we use the greek??

-plus the kid dropped out of school, if he wasn't headed to Europe I would think that would further complicate any potential destination 

Antetokoumpo also has used his fifth year to play four in redshirting under the partial qualifier tag last year.  The only way to get that back is graduate on time, I believe.  And dropping out of school essentially torpedoes any thoughts of continuing along a normal college basketball route.  Obviously, the family is too talented to pursue "normal" progressions.  Thanasis never played college ball and neither did Giannis.  Now here goes Kostas.  Recruiting the youngest, Alexis, will be worthless as well.  You'll just be another way station on the Antetokoumpo brothers trip to the big time. 

Another question to me is how does all this affect Dayton APR stuff?  Kostas has to be a black mark against the U, doesn't he?  Just plain dropping out?  Well, on the up-and-up side, he made no pretense.  I was pretty much amazed by his ability.  Yes, he was raw and gangly and foul-prone bu the potential was limitless.  If he made it to the floor as a senior at Dayton, loom out A10 world.  Now, we'll never know.

I didn't care for the Anthony Grant hire and I said things seemed shaky there.  Now all this.  I don't think the Dayton fans, especially after living the highlife with Archie Madness, will stomach two or three straight down years.  They just put $72 million into their jewel of an arena.  Are the Jim O'Brien years back?

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

On Kostas, speculation is that he is headed overseas to pursue a pro career. He dropped out of school according to the article and Twitter. 

Edit: confirmed by Dayton that Kostas is attempting to play overseas.  http://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/3/22/mens-basketball-daytonmbb-announces-roster-updates.aspx 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

That makes sense, thanks.

If a guy's going to go pro, that's not on the coach. But 4 other departures this year without a coaching change or incident? It's a lot, especially when he had some transfers and LOI releases last year after taking the job.