Gordon suspended after altercation.

TigerMatt

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate here:

The Webster coach said that working through Gordon's "issues" has been the most difficult thing he's had to do in his 29 years of coaching.  That was a quote from the article.  He also said that he very nearly kicked Gordon off of the team.  This would be the second high school team that he has left/been kicked off of if it wasn't for his current coach's benevolence (or just wanting to keep winning).  I know that no one wants to hear this, but this guy may be a cancer for a team that could be very good already without him.  His talent is undeniable, but his attitude may cause more losses here than his talent gives us.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The Webster coach said that working through Gordon's "issues" has been the most difficult thing he's had to do in his 29 years of coaching.  That was a quote from the article.  He also said that he very nearly kicked Gordon off of the team.  This would be the second high school team that he has left/been kicked off of if it wasn't for his current coach's benevolence (or just wanting to keep winning).  I know that no one wants to hear this, but this guy may be a cancer for a team that could be very good already without him.  His talent is undeniable, but his attitude may cause more losses here than his talent gives us.

I have a very difficult time labeling a high school young man as a cancer.  I also really question the judgment of the coach airing so much dirty laundry in public.  I trust Coach Ford.

LindellWest likes this

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think it's fair to give Gordon, and more specifically Ford the benefit of the doubt. This team has is bought in, and has some extremely dedicated and hardworking players. A new peer situation and different expectations can often do wonders. 

4 minutes ago, HenryB said:

I have a very difficult time labeling a high school young man as a cancer.  I also really question the judgment of the coach airing so much dirty laundry in public.  I trust Coach Ford.

I have a hard time labeling him a cancer as well, considering he's never been in legal trouble, left Vianney to play with Ramey, and went on to win a state championship.

I think the kid probably has dealt with more in his 17 years of life than 99% of posters will ever deal with in a lifetime. I thought Coach Blossom's quotes actually were very loyal to Gordon. "I'm putting my neck on the line for you - very publicly. Now don't let me down."  I have no problem delivering that message in the public realm. 

1 minute ago, LindellWest said:

I think it's fair to give Gordon, and more specifically Ford the benefit of the doubt. This team has is bought in, and has some extremely dedicated and hardworking players. A new peer situation and different expectations can often do wonders. 

I hope that's the case.  I'm just concerned, by his history.  Beating up a kid on the middle of the court before a game over a uniform doesn't bode well a sign of someone's future ability to be a good teammate.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I have a hard time labeling him a cancer as well, considering he's never been in legal trouble, left Vianney to play with Ramey, and went on to win a state championship.

I think the kid probably has dealt with more in his 17 years of life than 99% of posters will ever deal with in a lifetime. I thought Coach Blossom's quotes actually were very loyal to Gordon. "I'm putting my neck on the line for you - very publicly. Now don't let me down."  I have no problem delivering that message in the public realm. 

He didn't leave Vianney to be Ramey's teammate.  He missed practice, was told he had to apologize to the team to return to practice, and refused.  When the coach held firm that all he had to do was apologize to his teammates, he informed the coach that he quit.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

He didn't leave Vianney to be Ramey's teammate.  He missed practice, was told he had to apologize to the team to return to practice, and refused.  When the coach held firm that all he had to do was apologize to his teammate, he informed the coach that he quit.

Coach: “Apologize and can have the privilege to play with these regularly talented 15 year olds.” 

15 year old Gordon: “I’m good. I’ll go play with Ramey.” 

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I hope more people see Jay Blossom in a different light now.  

No High School coach would ever publicly denounce one of his players like this.  Despicable.  I hope Gordon never suits up for Webster again.

This really is a wild move.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

He didn't leave Vianney to be Ramey's teammate.  He missed practice, was told he had to apologize to the team to return to practice, and refused.  When the coach held firm that all he had to do was apologize to his teammates, he informed the coach that he quit.

That is BS.  That isn't why he left Vianney.  A lot of revisionist history gets spread when it comes to Gordon.

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I hope more people see Jay Blossom in a different light now.  

No High School coach would ever publicly denounce one of his players like this.  Despicable.  I hope Gordon never suits up for Webster again.

I’ve never been a fan of Blossom, he screams non stop in the games I’ve seen him coach. As for his comments about Gordon, it seems like he was more concerned about his own reputation. 

18 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I’ve never been a fan of Blossom, he screams non stop in the games I’ve seen him coach. As for his comments about Gordon, it seems like he was more concerned about his own reputation. 

Say what you want about Jay, but if Jay cant straighten up CG, no one can.  Plain and simple.

Slubills23 likes this

3 hours ago, HenryB said:

Came right after the post disgrace trashing of J-Good...must be a new trend of bashing students.

Coach Blossom is trying to build up his hall of fame legacy on 3 title teams and 25 years of mediocre basketball.  He's mad because the season he designed, extensive travel against top teams not in the best interest of his players has fallen flat on its face.  Spin the narrative now and pat himself on the back for holding the team together despite adversity.  An NBA or college coach would never make comments like this.  If a 17 year old kid is a cancer then kick him off the team.  Don't tell the world he is a cancer and keep him out there for an ego stroke.

Zink likes this

12 minutes ago, thetorch said:

An NBA or college coach would never make comments like this.  If a 17 year old kid is a cancer then kick him off the team.  Don't tell the world he is a cancer and keep him out there for an ego stroke.

My thoughts exactly. Well said

53 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Coach Blossom is trying to build up his hall of fame legacy on 3 title teams and 25 years of mediocre basketball

Anddddd that's when i'll stop reading

Let’s also remember that Gordon was acclaimed for his role on that gold medal winning USA squad as a team-first energy guy off the bench. He was also regarded as a pretty selfless teammate on his AAU team when they won a championship. 

Gordon has been a key contributor both on and off the court for incredibly successful teams at very high levels of the game. No reason he can’t be the same for SLU. I, for one, can’t wait to see him on campus.