Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the point that the school has lost complete control?  Pestello constantly being called a racist is a terrible look and while it is not true, his silence makes it an accusation that has a chance to stick.

So at what point does the school just need to expel all 4 players regardless of the evidence and write them a big check to go away?  At some point it becomes indefensible that this took so long if the kids are not ultimately expelled (i.e. the nuclear option).  I really hope this is not the case, but this is getting completely nuts.

3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

So at what point does the school just need to expel all 4 players regardless of the evidence and write them a big check to go away?

And then get busted for paying players

3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Is this the point that the school has lost complete control?  Pestello constantly being called a racist is a terrible look and while it is not true, his silence makes it an accusation that has a chance to stick.

So at what point does the school just need to expel all 4 players regardless of the evidence and write them a big check to go away?  At some point it becomes indefensible that this took so long if the kids are not ultimately expelled (i.e. the nuclear option).  I really hope this is not the case, but this is getting completely nuts.

First of all it is only 3 players and Pestello has lost control of the situation.  He sat on the egg to long and it now has exploded on him.  He should have seen that something like this was going to happen the longer it dragged on.

13 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Fred has lost all control. He has turned a difficult situation into a clusterf--k, and seems poised to go for full unmitigated disaster status.

I agree that this has become messier than it should have been. 

But total 'disaster' or 'explosion'...nah. People get pissed and go on twitter all the time.  When this investigation becomes the talk of the campus and people are protesting in concrete ways other than venting on twitter, I will consider it a disaster. At this point all it is is one too many people venting on twitter.

TaLBErt likes this

its not only pesty and krafty, at this point the fact that the board of trustees sits in silence is also quite deafening.    this whole thing will be devastating not only to men's basketball but saint louis university period.   the fact that all of the above are doing nothing to resolve or at least seem to be is a disaster for our alma mater.   

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

First of all it is only 3 players and Pestello has lost control of the situation.  He sat on the egg to long and it now has exploded on him.  He should have seen that something like this was going to happen the longer it dragged on.

It is 4 players that are involved in the incident.  Only 3 players are currently suspended.

I am just noting that this powder keg seems ready to explode and it has probably gotten to the point that if the players were reinstated that the anger of those who believed they were innocent will be louder and more visible than those that think they are guilty.  I do not think this egg is done exploding.  If the school announces the players are reinstated, now both sides will be YELLING at the administration and Pestello will hear more cries of racism from the players' supporters.  They may even see lawsuits from both the accusers and the accused.

This is just wild.

I've stayed away from commenting in this thread because it involves a good deal of speculation over a very sensitive topic, but I'd like to counter that this has not reached a fever pitch. While basketball is very important to us here on the board, it is not as large in the public light as we may think. The fact of the matter is that the general person on the street is largely unaware of the situation at the school currently. This administration markets SLU on many things aside from athletics, which when combined with the poor last 3 and half seasons, has suppressed the newsworthiness of this story. Dr. P isn't going anywhere as a result of this investigation, and a decision isn't coming soon based on classes resuming next week. I wouldn't hold my breath on either of those. 

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I've stayed away from commenting in this thread because it involves a good deal of speculation over a very sensitive topic, but I'd like to counter that this has not reached a fever pitch. While basketball is very important to us here on the board, it is not as large in the public light as we may think. The fact of the matter is that the general person on the street is largely unaware of the situation at the school currently. This administration markets SLU on many things aside from athletics, which when combined with the poor last 3 and half seasons, has suppressed the newsworthiness of this story. Dr. P isn't going anywhere as a result of this investigation, and a decision isn't coming soon based on classes resuming next week. I wouldn't hold my breath on either of those. 

Sadly, I agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Agree. Out of 'good posts'.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

its not only pesty and krafty, at this point the fact that the board of trustees sits in silence is also quite deafening.    this whole thing will be devastating not only to men's basketball but saint louis university period.   the fact that all of the above are doing nothing to resolve or at least seem to be is a disaster for our alma mater.   

This is just a side note, but I've always wondered why the Board of Trustees has never bothered to develop any sort of relationship with the SLU students or SLU community in general... I know several people over at Creighton, and apparently during every semester, their Board of Trustees hosts a dinner for members of the student body. Each table has a member of the board and a student from every academic department. It's stuff like that that you can add to the long list of simple things that small schools like Creighton get right but SLU always fumbles on... Our Board sitting in silence and doing nothing is just another. 

johnbj14, i think that is what pesty, krafty and the board believe or at the very least are hoping is true.    if i was an administrator or on the board, i sure wouldnt want to walk that tightrope of hope.   all it would take is one front page story to bust this out in a big way where the casual or non fan would then be in the know as well.    

42 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

It is 4 players that are involved in the incident.  Only 3 players are currently suspended.

I am just noting that this powder keg seems ready to explode and it has probably gotten to the point that if the players were reinstated that the anger of those who believed they were innocent will be louder and more visible than those that think they are guilty.  I do not think this egg is done exploding.  If the school announces the players are reinstated, now both sides will be YELLING at the administration and Pestello will hear more cries of racism from the players' supporters.  They may even see lawsuits from both the accusers and the accused.

This is just wild.

No it is 3 players - the 4 was identified in error - the girl recanted her story so why keep the 4 the guy involved if he was not a part of the matter.  

Also, many more people are aware of this then people on here might think - I get asked questions about it all the time and to a person they are very confused by how long this is taking to resolve.  

This has turned into a big issue and if the administration does not understand that then may be we need our own Fire and Fury author.