Welcome, Kalu Anya!

He was projected to be 1st team all-conference in the Ivy had he stayed. From what I have seen, he is a great rebounder and finds buckets in the paint. 

1 hour ago, Bilzz said:

Hmmm

image.png.de8c3f00d9c7404f098113fd5849f822.png

So in effect we plug in  Gibby for Cornwell and Anya for Kent to recreate the ISU success story. Add with  Swope and SLUAlcindor what piece are we missing. Is it Dotzler or Junior? If I were Thames, Junior, and Dotzler I’d be in the gym every day with that shot recording machine shooting 300-500 3’s a day. We should terrorize the A10. And there I go again getting carried away again. But you can’t deny Schertz is building his kind of roster. Who in the A10 is gonna matchup with bigs like Avila and Anya? Still worried a little about D but in Schertz I trust. Best I can figure out starting 4 puts up almost 60 ppg on average. Not many teams can say that. I welcome WIZ’s analysis of our latest addition. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So in effect we plug in  Gibby for Cornwell and Anya for Kent to recreate the ISU success story. Add with  Swope and SLUAlcindor what piece are we missing. Is it Dotzler or Junior? If I were Thames, Junior, and Dotzler I’d be in the gym every day with that shot recording machine shooting 300-500 3’s a day. We should terrorize the A10. And there I go again getting carried away again. But you can’t deny Schertz is building his kind of roster. Who in the A10 is gonna matchup with bigs like Avila and Anya? Still worried a little about D but in Schertz I trust. Best I can figure out starting 4 puts up almost 60 ppg on average. Not many teams can say that. I welcome WIZ’s analysis of our latest addition. 

We need to replace Julian Larry - PG. Dotzler will be in the mix, but I hope/expect we will land an experienced PG with one of the three remaining spots. I think the combo of Anya/AJ will be at least equal to Kent- who was nothing special until last year. Conwell is better all around than Gibby, but we’ll be fine there. 

I expect Schertz will have a deeper roster, the question that remains is will his starting 5 be as good as last year?

Ace, which team from last year are you referring to?  The Bills or Ind. St?.  No issue if the Bills, of course this upcoming SLU team will be better.  If you are referring to ISU, that's to be seen, but I think Gibby and Casey will more than make up for the ISU players who are going elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Hmmm

image.png.de8c3f00d9c7404f098113fd5849f822.png

I am curious why you are comparing Anya's last two seasons with Kent's first two seasons.  Last season Kent averaged 13.5 ppg and 8.1 rpg and hit 37% from the arc. 

I believe those Kent stats are from his years at Bradley?

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am curious why you are comparing Anya's last two seasons with Kent's first two seasons.  Last season Kent averaged 13.5 ppg and 8.1 rpg and hit 37% from the arc. 

I believe those Kent stats are from his years at Bradley?

Are you being dense on purpose? Lol

its both of their freshman and sophomore seasons

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Are you being dense on purpose? Lol

its both of their freshman and sophomore seasons

I guess you can do that but I’d think comparing Kent’s production from last season under Schertz with Anya’s is more meaningful. 
 But I asked and you answered. Thanks. 
Anya should be a good fit. 27% 3FG has to improve. 50% FT puts you on the bench at crunch time. 

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

We need to replace Julian Larry - PG. Dotzler will be in the mix, but I hope/expect we will land an experienced PG with one of the three remaining spots. I think the combo of Anya/AJ will be at least equal to Kent- who was nothing special until last year. Conwell is better all around than Gibby, but we’ll be fine there. 

I expect Schertz will have a deeper roster, the question that remains is will his starting 5 be as good as last year?

Our starting 5 last year or ISU’s? Wouldn’t take much to be better than ours. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I guess you can do that but I’d think comparing Kent’s production from last season under Schertz with Anya’s is more meaningful. 
Anya should be a good fit. 27% 3FG has to improve. 50% FT puts you on the bench at crunch time. 

The point was to compare their freshman and sophomore seasons and imply that he could see a similar jump in production to Kent in Schertz's offense. For instance, both were 27% 3pt shooters. Was nothing more than that. 

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

image.gif.8d7226d05f9d9b8ede58ad83302bb1fd.gif

slufan13 and SLU_Lax like this

32 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

The point was to compare their freshman and sophomore seasons and imply that he could see a similar jump in production to Kent in Schertz's offense. For instance, both were 27% 3pt shooters. Was nothing more than that. 

Fine. Not what I would compare, but fine.   It was your post, so you can do what you want.

4 hours ago, 4thgenBill said:

The only thing really concerning from his stat line is the ~50% Free throw

I was going to respond to @slu72 asking for an analysis on Anya. But this comment caught my eye and I decided to do the review here. I did a pre analysis on another thread where I mentioned Anya might be a "maybe".  He doesn't show   as a typical Schertz player.  He is not a 3 pt shooter...not in the sense that he has a poor percentage but in the fact that he takes very  few 3P shots....less than 7% of his shots are 3s.  So there is nothing really to improve there...he is a 2P shooter. The time is better spent working on 2s (currently a C+). His primary worth is rebounding and making 2s. So the question is...is he worth it? ...does he fit the system? Coach thinks he is worth it....because of the rebs and the ability to sink 2s. The computer thinks Anya could add 1.5% to his 2P shooting( making him a B+ ) in the  Schertz system through better shot selection.  Also , his TO rate is a little high at 2.3  but the computer again thinks he can get it down under 2 in a more disciplined format.   If he is able to add 1.5% to his 2P shooting and cut his TO rate to below 2  then the answers will be ...yes, he is worth it and yes he fits the Schertz system. You will note there is no mention of the poor FT shooting. The Schertz system will not improve his FT shooting.  Hopefully it will improve but for now the computer says ..IIWII....it is what it is.

Time for a Trivia quiz...Let's look at Anya 's numbers and compare them to a mystery player that the computer has picked out.  In this comparison we will use career numbers in shooting but only years with full data sets...so they may differ a bit from the "official" numbers.  Outside of shooting, for the other stats, we will use both players last season as the minutes match up well for comparison sakes.... Anya 27.5/gm and the mystery man 25/gm. Again no 3P% or FG% listed because they are not relevant for a player that takes an occasional shot from the arc.

..............................................2P%......FT%...Rebs....Ast...Stls....Blk.....TOs...Pts.

27.5mpg- Anya.......................51%......51%......7.4......1.7....1.2....0.9.....2.3....9.6

25mpg- Man of mystery.......51.5%....33%.....7.4.....2.4...0.7.....1.4......1.6....9.2

So it looks Mystery man  is a rebounder ...pretty good at 2s ...and can't shoot FTs...an Anya match...MM is a little better at assts, blks and TOs(Anya may be able to close the gap on the Schertz system) and  Anya better at steals. 

So the question is...who would you take?  Anya or M Man.

Well you can't have the Man of Mystery because he is none other than Hasahn French. ( the FT % should have given it away) So if you liked French, you should like this guy...a rebounder, who can shoot 2s like French and steal the ball and shoot FTs better.  Anya has some upside. If he can realize that upside he will be a great addition.

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I was going to respond to @slu72 asking for an analysis on Anya. But this comment caught my eye and I decided to do the review here. I did a pre analysis on another thread where I mentioned Anya might be a "maybe".  He doesn't show   as a typical Schertz player.  He is not a 3 pt shooter...not in the sense that he has a poor percentage but in the fact that he takes very  few 3P shots....less than 7% of his shots are 3s.  So there is nothing really to improve there...he is a 2P shooter. The time is better spent working on 2s (currently a C+). His primary worth is rebounding and making 2s. So the question is...is he worth it? ...does he fit the system? Coach thinks he is worth it....because of the rebs and the ability to sink 2s. The computer thinks Anya could add 1.5% to his 2P shooting( making him a B+ ) in the  Schertz system through better shot selection.  Also , his TO rate is a little high at 2.3  but the computer again thinks he can get it down under 2 in a more disciplined format.   If he is able to add 1.5% to his 2P shooting and cut his TO rate to below 2  then the answers will be ...yes, he is worth it and yes he fits the Schertz system. You will note there is no mention of the poor FT shooting. The Schertz system will not improve his FT shooting.  Hopefully it will improve but for now the computer says ..IIWII....it is what it is.

Time for a Trivia quiz...Let's look at Anya 's numbers and compare them to a mystery player that the computer has picked out.  In this comparison we will use career numbers in shooting but only years with full data sets...so they may differ a bit from the "official" numbers.  Outside of shooting, for the other stats, we will use both players last season as the minutes match up well for comparison sakes.... Anya 27.5/gm and the mystery man 25/gm. Again no 3P% or FG% listed because they are not relevant for a player that takes an occasional shot from the arc.

..............................................2P%......FT%...Rebs....Ast...Stls....Blk.....TOs...Pts.

27.5mpg- Anya.......................51%......51%......7.4......1.7....1.2....0.9.....2.3....9.6

25mpg- Man of mystery.......51.5%....33%.....7.4.....2.4...0.7.....1.4......1.6....9.2

So it looks Mystery man  is a rebounder ...pretty good at 2s ...and can't shoot FTs...an Anya match...MM is a little better at assts, blks and TOs(Anya may be able to close the gap on the Schertz system) and  Anya better at steals. 

Well you can't have the Man of Mystery because he is none other than Hasahn French. ( the FT % should have given it away) So if you liked French, you should like this guy...a rebounder, who can shoot 2s like French and steal the ball and shoot FTs better.  Anya has some upside. If he can realize that upside he will be a great addition.

The 33% FT was a dead giveaway…

3 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I knew right away who he was. And I'm STILL mad about the Pitt loss in 2018. French had a double double but shouldn't have been in the game down two at crunch time. That really was on Ford.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

No question about it....The point is that even with his horrendous FT shooting % Anya  still could  add an additional 28 pts for the season over a French type player just in FTM or about a pt/gm.

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I did guess that it was Has based on the FT %.