Schertz Press Conference Game Day Thread

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BILLS324 said:

Can you'll just stop. Do you all not see this isn't the thread for this sh!t. Both sides are equally annoying and it is old now. Everyone just move on. It really is pathetic behavior from all sides. Grow up!!

No

David King and Box and Won like this

53 minutes ago, Billikitty7 said:

Ok- I have 15 minutes to watch what I can of the video- who can give me the essential details?

all pros- I know there’s no cons. 

@westpinebills on twitter did a pretty good tweetalong

but i know we're way past your 15 mins

Pestello is leaving, he was not about to clash with absolutely anyone in this occasion. May used all his ability to come out of this meeting looking way better than he really is. I am absolutely delighted that Jimerson was  present and appears to be considering to come back to SLU. But above and beyond all else I am happy to see Schertz joining the Bills. I really do not care who wanted to make himself look like a giant in the field, or whose rear end he intended to kiss.  What I really care about this morning is Schertz and Jimerson, may they work together next year.

TheA_Bomb and CenHudDude like this

3 hours ago, ACE said:

The band kicking some ass!

Thanks!  Glad you, and I hope the rest, including Coach did too!  It was an alright event.  Pretty standard fare, and yeah, the tone in the room wasn't right to ask about his former players coming here...we all in the Band whispered "bring half your old team here" when the question was asked how do you bounce back the team next year.  Was a pretty funny moment.

Oh, and those in attendance: GibJim and Coach Tate WERE in attendance, in fact they were sitting in the last two seats closest to the Band.  Apparently SVB was up in the lower bowl behind the main splay.

OkieBilliken likes this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

@westpinebills on twitter did a pretty good tweetalong

but i know we're way past your 15 mins

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

i got to hear the intros. I’ll just have to hear the rest on the drive home- just was impatient 😜

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

An absolute home run press conference.  Those dwelling on negative issues, take your L and sit this one out.  Let us Billiken fan's rejoice.  I believe Jimerson was in attendance today.

Frank and Bob had Chris May on the radio immediately after the press conference.  It will be posted on The Press Box website soon.  Look it up.

Schertz is throwing out the first pitch tomorrow at the Cards game.  He apparently will spend a few minutes on the mound this afternoon to make sure, hopefully, he doesn't bounce it tomorrow.

That’s something that he couldn’t do in Terre Haute.  I’m sure a lot of Sycamore fans will be driving to St. Louis to watch him throw out the first pitch.

11 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

SBV was next to Jimerson. The only one not to give a standing O when JS came to the stage. 

I didn’t see Van Bussel next to Jimerson, but for all I know, he could have been there and moved before I looked over in that direction. 
I thought I had seen Magassa down the row from Jimerson, but then from another angle, I questioned whether it actually was him.

35 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

SBV was next to Jimerson. The only one not to give a standing O when JS came to the stage. 

SBV surprised me late in the season - once he started getting healthy, he showed some toughness and sneaky athleticism. That being said, I don't think he fits into the Schertz system. And Magassa is a mystery man since we didn't see him play, but he was recruited by the previous regime. I wouldn't be shocked if SVB and/or Magassa wind up with with Harriman at Charleston.

Chris May in the Frank's radio show mentioned an anecdote about a young fan seeing Schertz at Lesters yesterday.. the young fan was "a huge fan of maybe one of his former players" He quickly tried to correct himself.

Larry Blurred anyone??

17 minutes ago, Billikitty7 said:

Bear with me- I’ve been off the board a while- remind me who SBV is again… please and thank you. 

Stef Van Bussel (SVB) is backup freshman center from the Netherlands. He was used sparingly for most of the 2023-24 season, still recovering after major leg surgery earlier in 2023. Increased playing time in February and March, and moved up from third to second string. He showed improvement in adjusting to US D1 basketball, defending and passing and scoring at the hoop. In his best game he played 26 minutes at Rhode Island and helped get that win. Evidently not a long distance shooter, but showed he can be effective in other ways on the perimeter. High-effort player and still developing. Will either stay at SLU or transfer to another high-mid major.

I did attend the news conference and overall I thought it was well done.  I could be wrong but when I attended the Ford news conference, I don't remember May talking that much about the donors.  Today he mentioned several donors by name and more than once.  Just my opinion but that was a signal that they took a much more active role in this decision then before.  Schertz mentioned that his one son is transferring to SLU and that his other son is moving here - does anyone know what that son does?  I didn't see Tillet but like some said depending where you were sitting it was hard to see everyone.

54 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

Stef Van Bussel (SVB) is backup freshman center from the Netherlands. He was used sparingly for most of the 2023-24 season, still recovering after major leg surgery earlier in 2023. Increased playing time in February and March, and moved up from third to second string. He showed improvement in adjusting to US D1 basketball, defending and passing and scoring at the hoop. In his best game he played 26 minutes at Rhode Island and helped get that win. Evidently not a long distance shooter, but showed he can be effective in other ways on the perimeter. High-effort player and still developing. Will either stay at SLU or transfer to another high-mid major.

Well can’t back out of asking that question now that the answer was blatant.  It was hard to be billiken fan last year. 

59 minutes ago, ACE said:

SBV surprised me late in the season - once he started getting healthy, he showed some toughness and sneaky athleticism. That being said, I don't think he fits into the Schertz system. And Magassa is a mystery man since we didn't see him play, but he was recruited by the previous regime. I wouldn't be shocked if SVB and/or Magassa wind up with with Harriman at Charleston.

SVB's free throw percentage under .500 may be too much of a liability...although his assist-to-turnover ratio better aligns to the new system...7 assists vs. 6 turnovers, whereas EZ was 24/33 and Zhang 9/25.

2 hours ago, Billikitty7 said:

Bear with me- I’ve been off the board a while- remind me who SBV is again… please and thank you. 

This why I initials are bad

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

"You can be demanding without being demeaning." I understand Schertz has great respect for Majerus's basketball mind but he has a very different outlook on how to get the most out of players.  It more closely aligns with my own point of view.

"There's really good players who aren't good winners.  There's also really good winners who aren't good players.  The great ones are both"

This guy just has it

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Tillet but like some said depending where you were sitting it was hard to see everyone.

Tillet was there.  

I appreciated the WNIT being mentioned multiple times, but I do feel bad for the Women's team's success being overshadowed by the coaching announcement.

31 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Tillet was there.  

I appreciated the WNIT being mentioned multiple times, but I do feel bad for the Women's team's success being overshadowed by the coaching announcement.

Thanks