SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Just listened to this segment.  I guess they let just about anyone host a radio show these days.

Given my recent blood pressure issues I'm not even going to attempt listening to Zac's segment with Slaten but good lord, this guy's hot takes and condescending tone was almost too much to take.   @Pistol is a true American for showing patience and not talking to this guy like he's a 5 year-old.

They are still giving Kevin Slaten a show, so standards for hosting a radio show are obviously non-existent. Listened to the segment, the hosts argument was basically his opinion was right, and everyone else’s was wrong. Hard to argue with that. @Pistol gets my admiration for keeping his cool and not laughing at that idiot.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

So I saw a tween from Frank C earlier calling for Ahearn. I can find it now.

Did Frank wake up and realize that was an awful idea and delete it?

I can’t see it because I’m blocked, but my understanding is that he deleted the tweet with the “Frankly Speaking “ video. That video may have been removed from the KSDK website as well. 
Maybe there’s another reason for it, but I speculate that Frank found out that Blake isn’t as interested in the job as he was told by his “source.”

Listened to the Slaten segments couldn't find the one with 05. He's right on some stuff SLU has been bad and May is dumb. He's all in on Ahearn because he knows him and he'll stay at SLU. No logic, no basketball reasons beyond he was a good player and has NBA experience. He thinks it's dumb to even conduct a search.  Thinks Ahearn is SLU's Norm Stewart. No one knows about UNI, and SPUMAC took a chance on a local guy and Ahearn is that for us.  So dumb.

I like him going after May. The Ahearn advocacy is just laughable. 

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

McCollum hits me as the kind of guy that won't officially accept a gig until he team is done playing.  

9 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

NMSU is playing in the D2 NCAA tournament. Doubt there would be an announcement until they’re done. 

-I thought their season was over, my bad

The best part of Slaten's rant was saying if SLU had recruited "better" Troy Slaten would have been our starting 2 guard in the 00s playing next to Mckinney and David Lee.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Well Schertz is now no longer following Ross.

He probably thought he was being subtle by following Ross and not thinking anyone else would notice. Clearly he's reading this board.

Josh, if you're reading this, your secret is safe with us. Blink twice if you've accepted the position.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Well the tone on the Sycamores board coaching thread changed tonight.  I feel for them. It has got to suck.

I hope they keep up the big NIL and coaching salaries they were talking. They can poach someone themselves with the cash they're listing.

They should be proud. It's a good time to be a Sycamore(unless the committee does the biggest snub job ever) .. don't see why they can't continue the success.

Couple of video clips. Dude has gotten more coverage at an MVC team in 1 year than CTF got in 8 years.

ESPN Game Day clip on Schertz from Long Island family moved to FL because he was so good at Tennis but he stopped growing, got into basketball. 

Andy Katz Chatz with Schertz. Is this paid for by the MVC? Nice touch to pay Andy Katz to do these interviews. Coach Schertz is likeable in these interviews.

On 3/14/2024 at 2:30 PM, OkieBilliken said:

Probably not for us but under the radar excellent young coach - Ryan Ridder at UTM.   His father is a small college legend in FL, approaching 800 wins.   He coached at a JUCO and then at an HBCU school and did very well at both.   He has actually turned a dump like Tennessee-Martin into a winner.   Prediction he will be climbing the ranks somewhere soon.   

That didn’t take long.  Ridder headed to Mercer,   Nice upgrade for him.

6 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Couple of video clips. Dude has gotten more coverage at an MVC team in 1 year than CTF got in 8 years.

ESPN Game Day clip on Schertz from Long Island family moved to FL because he was so good at Tennis but he stopped growing, got into basketball. 

Andy Katz Chatz with Schertz. Is this paid for by the MVC? Nice touch to pay Andy Katz to do these interviews. Coach Schertz is likeable in these interviews.

Mandatory viewing for all billiken mbms

Thanks for posting abomb

I have been convinced, the most important quality needs to be the likelihood that the candidate would be willing to stay in St. Louis at SLU for 32 seasons.

How could you possibly know any candidate would stick around at SLU if bigger programs with more lucrative offers came calling? Ahearn didn’t go to SLU, so who’s to say he would turn down opportunities if he were to succeed at SLU. And why is that a bad thing if it means the coach had success here? The key is finding that first part and not being overly concerned with the second part.

14 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I have been convinced, the most important quality needs to be the likelihood that the candidate would be willing to stay in St. Louis at SLU for 32 seasons.

How could you possibly know any candidate would stick around at SLU if bigger programs with more lucrative offers came calling? Ahearn didn’t go to SLU, so who’s to say he would turn down opportunities if he were to succeed at SLU. And why is that a bad thing if it means the coach had success here? The key is finding that first part and not being overly concerned with the second part.

Hitting a grand slam would be great, but the odds of that are crazy. We need to start consistently hitting doubles and triples. Keep building off each coach that comes in and "uses us as a stepping stone" and who knows...eventually you end up in a new conference and a destination job.