Latest Ford Rumor

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Exactly. I’d be interested in hearing the actual audio from May’s quote, as I’ve generally assumed his silence on men’s basketball is related to him being bitter over boosters forcing out what he viewed as his prized hire, so I read that quote as him being angry about having to talk about it.

Yeah May just said he's gone without saying it. I wonder if it was intentional or a slip up. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

There was supposed to be a leadership cabinet meeting last night, but it was canceled.. 👎

This is a really interesting piece of information. It leads me to believe something definitely changed late with the plan.  Maybe they thought they were going to be able to announce something else at the same time as Ford's termination and that fell apart.

slufan13 likes this

Let's agree upon a number of items regarding Ford.

No one here knows what Ford's contract stipulates about the money that is to be paid in case of early termination.

It is entirely possible that there is a contractually specified date after which the money to be paid is reduced. The end of the A10 tournament may well be the date specified in the contract after which the money to be paid is reduced by ? amount.

May is already in a bad position because of the contract extension he gave Ford. He is not going to fire Ford until the date to reduce the money owed to Ford is past. 

This is all beyond our pay grade, we must be patient. 

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is a really interesting piece of information. It leads me to believe something definitely changed late with the plan.  Maybe they thought they were going to be able to announce something else at the same time as Ford's termination and that fell apart.

I think you’re spot on.  No need for a meeting unless you’re ratifying a new contract with a new coach. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I know many will frown at this but I'm definitely rooting for Rhodey tomorrow. They're absolutely awful though so maybe I need to become a Duquesne fan 

I have mixed emotions now about tomorrow’s game.  Hard for me to root against the Billikens though.  GO BILLS!

slu72 and cgeldmacher like this

How stupid does Chris May look now?

“Travis Ford will be the coach at SLU for a long long time as long as I’m the AD here.”

How a complete moron like that makes a living, much less an entire career as a division one AD is incredible. Profoundly stupid person and an even bigger wiener. We know Ford is gone, need Chris May to follow him. 

Schasz, laker119 and Soderball like this

I may be in the minority, but if we are worrying about days making a difference for hiring a new coach, wouldn't firing May delay the process significantly? Wouldn't we have to find a replacement for May before we could even look for a new coach? I assume it could take awhile to find a replacement for May considering SLU's history with making "timely" hires. Our wish list of coaches may be gone by then. Therefore, I'd be okay with keeping May if he hires the right guy.

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15
Typo
slu92 and cgeldmacher like this

6 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

A lot of these coaches in Ford situation will take an assistant job. Being that recruiting not what it used to be or his inability to develop players, he may have tough time in that market.

Maybe he's on the phone with his buddy Pitino hoping for a job at St John's. He might actually learn something the second time around. I consider Tricky Ricky to be in the Majerus class of HC’s. 

slu92 likes this

6 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I admittedly don’t have any insight into the hierarchy of the Athletic Department, but is the guy they hired to oversee compliance and NIL someone to keep an eye on as a potential successor? 

No clue, but I know that pretty much all the head coaches and staff will not want Oberle to be the next AD. A large group will go directly to Fred to stop that right away. Universally not respected and word is she’s always the smartest person in any room she is in at any time. Never worked anywhere else but at SLU, for a good reason. Typical SLU lifer. 

Speyburn likes this

I am kind of confused how the Ford being fired before the end of the season rumors started? That is the biggest “Hey look at me, I really screwed this up” move an AD could make. Would Chris May ever put the spotlight on himself like that? He’d then have to explain to his higher ups why the situation is so bad/dire that it cannot wait until the end of the season.

The consensus is that we have one of the worst athletic departments in the country, I tend to doubt we’ve been super proactive on any of the this and the new coach is already under wraps, but hope springs eternal. 

40 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I admittedly don’t have any insight into the hierarchy of the Athletic Department, but is the guy they hired to oversee compliance and NIL someone to keep an eye on as a potential successor? 

I’m a believer that you can never have the compliance guy become the guy in charge. 

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

What else is he supposed to say? No comment?  This is a no win situation for him.  A virtual no comment like what he did is an obvious he’s gone sign.  A comment of support would enrage his donor base probably.  

He should’ve just not offered any comment or interview.  

9 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Where have you heard this?

I haven’t heard anything. You’re right. Stupid post on my part. I guess it came from the report DeVries is only interested in a P6 job.