GDT: SLU v. VCU

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first time seeing the boys in person this year. Was able to get back to STL for the game.

I was impressed by the effort level, but we just could not match up with them physically. Agree with all these posts about our non-existent defense.

We had one really nice sequence where we mixed things up for one possession, threw a 1-3-1 at them and scored a turnover. But too little of that and too much letting them get the 3s they wanted, getting to the bucket, getting offensive rebounds.

Would Hasan French and Jordan Goodwin allow 95 points in our building? We should be ashamed.

Stop worrying so much about how much we score, worry about giving up 80+ game after game after game. This is so unbelievable to watch. I'm just dead to it. Tired of watching pointsball. No more f'ing points. pointspointspointspointspoints.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There were no bright spots on defense. Individual or team. They're all bad.

Bright , no. Not even close. But Parker was better defensively not that it matters if the other 10 players don’t try either. But it was refreshing to see Parker score and 30 and try on defense. Again, not that it matters bc he’s showcasing his skills for a T10 team next  year  

The Hughes tech, in the first half summed up the season. Tie game, we get a steal, and draw a foul.  The tech gives VCU two free throws (which they drain), AND they hit a three on the follow-up possession.  Larry misses his free throw opportunity, and a tie game (with possession of the ball) turns into a 5-point deficit. 

willie and dlarry like this

7 hours ago, thunderdan said:

The Hughes tech, in the first half summed up the season. Tie game, we get a steal, and draw a foul.  The tech gives VCU two free throws (which they drain), AND they hit a three on the follow-up possession.  Larry misses his free throw opportunity, and a tie game (with possession of the ball) turns into a 5-point deficit. 

Tech was brutal, but if I’m going to pick only one reason for why we lost, it was our 3 point shooting.  Sincere a solid 4-6, our other three big guns: 2-6, 1-5, 0-5….and many of them wide open.  VCU did not miss their open shots.

We’re not going to win any shootouts with those kind of percentages.

40 minutes ago, Scoop said:

No excuse for this lack of defense. Have some pride. Lock your man up. Worst defense Bills team I’ve ever seen. Embarrassing.

Agreed. We fall for every jab-step and head-fake. Opponent blows right past us, and we expect a teammate to bail us out, instead of beating the opponent to a spot, or standing on the baseline so he can’t drive by.

Once the help comes, it opens us up for an alley-oop or an open 3. And, if the opponent somehow misses, we rarely grab the first rebound.

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Thought the game was Saturday. I got lucky 

The women play tonight. Come on out!

I rarely miss a home game but decided I didn't want to go out last night. Watched it on my pirate. About the only thing worth watching for right now is Parker's offense. He's just deadly right now. The rest is just turnovers, stupid fouls and losses.

40 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I rarely miss a home game but decided I didn't want to go out last night. Watched it on my pirate. About the only thing worth watching for right now is Parker's offense. He's just deadly right now. The rest is just turnovers, stupid fouls and losses.

2nd this ^ women are fun to watch any given night. 

4 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Parker’s shot making is crazy.  His development can be considered a massive bright spot-

Main objective outside of nailing the HC hire is keeping him at SLU

26 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Parker’s shot making is crazy.  His development can be considered a massive bright spot-

Main objective outside of nailing the HC hire is keeping him at SLU

Teaching him defense would also help. Not sure he’s aware you can actually try to stop the other team from scoring.

Billikenbooster likes this