2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-DeVries makes me wonder like McDermott as to how much of their success is driven by their kids, yes McDermott has done well in Omaha after Doug

I’m intrigued by coaches who were at what should be peer schools to SLU, but have been more successful in basketball than SLU. Devries was a longtime assistant at Creighton (under Altman and McDermott), saw how they built things up there, and now has had some success running his own program at Drake. 
I’m sure entirely convinced that SLU has it in them to do this, as they have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot, but I want them to hire a coach and say to them “You’ve seen how a school like us can win, because you’ve been a part of it. We want you to do that here at SLU, we’re going to support you in that, and we’re going to stay out of your way.“

You can go to Devries and tell him that whatever worked at Creighton, go ahead and do it.

johnbj14 likes this

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There is a lot to love there. Schertz is still my top candidate based on proof of concept at D1, but I think McCollum could be a truly once in a lifetime hire if it can translate to D1 in this era..

Bens the type who literally could be the Mark few.  Schertz feels like he would leave after some success here.  Im with you on Josh, but Id be happy with either. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Bens the type who literally could be the Mark few.  Schertz feels like he would leave after some success here.  Im with you on Josh, but Id be happy with either. 

Neither of them have any connection to DeSmet or CBC, nor have they indicated any interest in the St. Louis Cardinals.

PASS

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

McCollum’s responses to the interview prompts from Katz revealed plenty of of self knowledge and refreshing awareness of the importance of his team’s role in his plan. This differs dramatically from what we’ve heard from SLU.

TheA_Bomb and brianstl like this

A couple of Creighton assistants that have moved on to head coaching jobs are Alan Huss at High Point--1st year there & 22-6 and 11-2 in conference and won a mid-season coach award.  Grew up KC area.

Steve Lutz at Western Kentucky also 1st year there, 19-7 & 8-4 in conference.  Was head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi for 2 years & made NCAA both years.  Assistance to SMU, Creighton & then Purdue before first head coaching job.

10 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’m intrigued by coaches who were at what should be peer schools to SLU, but have been more successful in basketball than SLU. Devries was a longtime assistant at Creighton (under Altman and McDermott), saw how they built things up there, and now has had some success running his own program at Drake. 
I’m sure entirely convinced that SLU has it in them to do this, as they have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot, but I want them to hire a coach and say to them “You’ve seen how a school like us can win, because you’ve been a part of it. We want you to do that here at SLU, we’re going to support you in that, and we’re going to stay out of your way.“

You can go to Devries and tell him that whatever worked at Creighton, go ahead and do it.

DeSmetBilliken and brianstl like this

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

SLU has had a multitude of opportunities to be a consistently good to great program and have squandered them all, so what makes anyone think this time will be different.

Lol Brighton, why are you even here? Everyone's already down and angry. This program landed Majerus and had Charlie Spoonhour, I wouldn't call that squandering. We just need the AD to reform (without Chris May) and get its head out of its a** and we'll be ok again.

47 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Lol Brighton, why are you even here? Everyone's already down and angry. This program landed Majerus and had Charlie Spoonhour, I wouldn't call that squandering. We just need the AD to reform (without Chris May) and get its head out of its a** and we'll be ok again.

And how did they follow up after the little success they had ? That’s the point 

Watching GameDay. I'd take Danny Hurley-like coach all day. I'd take Danny all day (obviously a non-starter discussion).
But his mentality, his approach. Just like Rick. Bobby Knight, etc.

I know there are Hurley-haters here, (I think?) but I love the guy.

Billikenbooster likes this

5 minutes ago, The Don said:

Watching GameDay. I'd take Danny Hurley-like coach all day. I'd take Danny all day (obviously a non-starter discussion).
But his mentality, his approach. Just like Rick. Bobby Knight, etc.

I know there are Hurley-haters here, (I think?) but I love the guy.

Absolutely count me as a Hurley hater. But that’s just respect for fearing Rhode Island during most of his tenure. 

The Don likes this

When Hurley landed UConn I thought it was a tremendous reach on the part of the Huskies. As much as I hated him at Rhody, he’s continuously evolved as a coach and turned out to be pretty dang good in the process. While SLU isn’t UConn, it shows what hiring a guy on the upswing of their career, instead of the downward trajectory, can turn into. 

The Don likes this

10 hours ago, StLouBlue said:

A couple of Creighton assistants that have moved on to head coaching jobs are Alan Huss at High Point--1st year there & 22-6 and 11-2 in conference and won a mid-season coach award.  Grew up KC area.

Steve Lutz at Western Kentucky also 1st year there, 19-7 & 8-4 in conference.  Was head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi for 2 years & made NCAA both years.  Assistance to SMU, Creighton & then Purdue before first head coaching job.

I like Lutz.  I don’t know if he will be looking to make another move so quick and if he is looking for a top tier job WKU has proven to be a program you can do that from.

36 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Can close this thread. After the incredible, groundbreaking win over George Washington, CTF is getting a 7 year extension. 

By default he'll end up with the most wins all time 🤪

Everyone will be happy to learn that our victory yesterday boosted us from 222 in NET to 217, while simultaneously moving GW down to 202 from 195. There are now 3 A10 teams over 200 in NET, GW at 202, LaSalle at 207, and us at 222, trailing them all. We have now moved to 14th in A10, so as long as we stay even with GW in wins we own the tiebreaker.