2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

However many it takes for people to realize how bad the culture is within the Athletics Department is.

This can’t be said enough. Chris May is such a fake wanna be who is a snake. I’ve heard too many stories over the years from great sources along with my personal interactions with him as well. He’s a wiener and profoundly stupid. If he was smart and really good at his job, I could look past him being a jerk. But, he’s not. Why Fred or BoT members haven’t asked coaches and employees or former employees about May and his “assistant” screams of a culture of silence and rather just stick heads in the sand. Plus it helps when Oberle is best friends with SLU general counsel, who I imagine oversees HR. I hear that one not too long ago from a decent donor who can’t stand either one of them. Would love more info on that one. Would explain a lot. Place either way is a mess. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You’ve got Fredo Corleone and Mommy Dearest running the athletic department basically. And people can’t imagine why mbb is a mess? Have another glass of warm milk and eat some melba toasts Fred, then take a nap. 

6 minutes ago, TRN said:

It’s ironic that people bitched about posters repeatedly mentioning wanting the coach and/or AD fired, so this thread was created.  

Now people are bitching about people saying it too many times IN THE THREAD SPECIFICALLY FOR THAT TOPIC.

And it's not like any big name sports trackers are hot on the subj...oh wait!  Guess ESPN is watching:

image.png.e58e7d75f3f2897739614c0957f8a2b0.png

Guide to the 2024 men's college basketball coaching hot seat - ESPN

That last sentence just bites a little harder coming from there.  Oofah!

-the link is from almost 5 years ago so clearly the world has changed since then but provided as a bit of context on buyout amounts

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-salary-and-buyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

-since this time Wake paid Danny Manning $14.7mil, IU paid Archie Miller $10.3 but this was reduced with his hiring at Rhodey - those were easy to find as I am sure there are others

what about Bob Huggins?  ?too old, ?too much baggage? players don't graduate(who does with NIL)? His buddy Frank Martin says Huggins is sober and would like to coach again.  He was good friend with Spoon and always liked Scott Highmark 

what about Bob Huggins?  ?too old, ?too much baggage? players don't graduate(who does with NIL)? His buddy Frank Martin says Huggins is sober and would like to coach again.  He was good friend with Spoon and always liked Scott Highmark   

22 minutes ago, slu92 said:

This can’t be said enough. Chris May is such a fake wanna be who is a snake. I’ve heard too many stories over the years from great sources along with my personal interactions with him as well. He’s a wiener and profoundly stupid. If he was smart and really good at his job, I could look past him being a jerk. But, he’s not. Why Fred or BoT members haven’t asked coaches and employees or former employees about May and his “assistant” screams of a culture of silence and rather just stick heads in the sand. Plus it helps when Oberle is best friends with SLU general counsel, who I imagine oversees HR. I hear that one not too long ago from a decent donor who can’t stand either one of them. Would love more info on that one. Would explain a lot. Place either way is a mess. 

This can't be emphasized enough. On a scale of broccoli to frankfurter dude maxes out as a Weiner.

55 minutes ago, papal said:

Well, his Catholic bashing directed at Xavier probably not gonna help his chances of being hired by a Catholic school. He's a fossil. 

stmdragons and AGB91 like this

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Me!? You should talk to those who’ve worked under him. Or student athletes current or former. Weird that not ONE Chris May hire has taken a larger role at another university. Isn’t it? 

I’ve said many times I thought May was up sh*t creek with Crews. Tough to sell not hiring the national coach of the year. But again, he has presided over 2 basketball coaches in a row who’ve flirted with historically bad seasons. His replacement for Anne Kordes demolished everything the program had built. I dislike Chris May, that’s no secret. But my posts aren’t just wild claims based in hatred. 

May was always a colossal a**hole to the pep band during my time at SLU. Athletics department was always disorganized, chaotic, and when sh*t happened that put the band in a tough spot, it was never a culture of taking responsibility and simply saying "oh we're sorry, allow us to make amends." They'd blame the band for their own f ups. That is just the kind of person May is. I've worked with plenty of others over the years in my profession to know his type. He is a snake. If anything, Janet was always the one doing the heavy lifting around there and cleaning up the messes. 

As others have said, all of his schtick would be forgivable if the basketball program wasn't in shambles and could have something to show over the past decade other than just a single NCAA appearance. 

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

All of my IU buddies were bragging about how they got "one of the best NBA assistants" in Mike Woodson to be their coach. Now every single one of those guys is begging for Dusty May to take over.

Mike Woodson was a twice failed NBA head coach before he took the IU job.

Ahearn isn’t in my top 5 candidates, but he has just as much or more going for him as the candidates outside that group.  I could live with him getting the job, once you get past a few candidates there isn’t anyone I would label as 100% can’t miss hires.  

AGB91 and 2010andBeyond like this

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

May was always a colossal a**hole to the pep band during my time at SLU. Athletics department was always disorganized, chaotic, and when sh*t happened that put the band in a tough spot, it was never a culture of taking responsibility and simply saying "oh we're sorry, allow us to make amends." They'd blame the band for their own f ups. That is just the kind of person May is. I've worked with plenty of others over the years in my profession to know his type. He is a snake. If anything, Janet was always the one doing the heavy lifting around there and cleaning up the messes. 

As others have said, all of his schtick would be forgivable if the basketball program wasn't in shambles and could have something to show over the past decade other than just a single NCAA appearance. 

I'm always going back to him calling me the "flag guy" because my instrument didn't travel for a pep rally on a trip when he knew (or should have damn well known) I played bass.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Ahearn isn’t in my top 5 candidates, but he has just as much or more going for him as the candidates outside that group.  I could live with him getting the job, once you get past a few candidates there isn’t anyone I would label as 100% can’t miss hires.  

Wonder who would be better Ahearn or Carrawell?

Another day….Ford and May are still at SLU. Fred watched Donnybrook, listened to Doris Days Greatest Hits record while he ate his Healthy Choice Greek Chicken Powerbowl, watched some nick at night and went to bed right now around 8:30….stayed up wayyyyy too late on a school night. Fran was watching American Gladiators and drinking a 12 pack of Hamms. 

Fraz likes this

52 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Wonder who would be better Ahearn or Carrawell?

I would prefer a guy like Ahearn that at least has experience as a player at a similar level program over a guy like Carrawell who has only experienced college basketball at Duke and Marquette.  That said, there are many positives about Carrawell and you can make a strong case for him.  Neither would be at the top of my wishlist, but they are both better options than some of the names that have come up.

13 hours ago, brianstl said:

Mike Woodson was a twice failed NBA head coach before he took the IU job.

What’s funny is if you ask some of those same friends why Woodson was hired at IU they’ll tell you one reason was his NBA head coaching experience (style of play) despite his abysmal record as a head coach. Another factor being  knowing what it takes to play in the NBA,  which was sold as an extremely valuable marketing/recruiting tool (now less valuable with the emergence of NIL). But they’ll tell you it was ultimately  his connections to IU (Bobby Knight descendent) that landed him the job. 

Not sure I’d even have Ahearn as a consideration unless we find ourselves in a position of extreme desperation. How many NBA assistant coaches out there? 90? 100? But because he’s from STL he should be a consideration? There are probably dozens of other NBA assistants that have equal or better qualifications/skills than Ahearn. Will any of those assistants be considered? If not, it sounds like we’re more interested in a guy form STL than an NBA assistant.  Yes, I get that it is harder to sell the SLU job to an NBA assistant with no local ties but personally the whole local ties angle is dumb to me and so would be hiring an NBA assistant. Given the current status of this program, hiring someone with zero college coaching experience would be a bad move. Would I take Ahearn over the Creans and Webers of the world? 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Again, just one idiot’s opinion. 

Old guy and DeSmetBilliken like this

Based on absolutely nothing but I think we land one of the handful of guys most talked about recently: McCollum, Schertz, Holtmann, DeVries, etc. McCollum probably the least likely because SLU is too chicken sh*t to pursue a D-II coach, followed by Holtmann who probably takes a P-6 job. But if we strike out on those top 4-5 I really like Jack Godar's approach of sifting through resumes and finding coaches that have consistently won at places with less resources than SLU or are currently winning a lot at a place with less resources than SLU (Pat Kelsey for example). I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of the 300+ D-1 college coaches but I'd imagine we could pull a handful of decent candidates using that criterion. Strike out again? Desperation time. Okay, time to shift focus to guys with local ties that may have what it takes to be a college head coach.

johnbj14 and billiken_roy like this

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The computer has already reviewed the situation .....

It selects....Schertz

He checks all the boxes.

my pick as well.   as a father that visited terre haute a lot during my daughter's college days, to have the success he has with the city concerned, and with an mvc school with no sterling success since Larry Bird, this guy is it imo.   add to it they play a pretty exciting brand of basketball schertz is the man.