2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF they want to go the retread route - here are some experienced coaches who were let go last year, in no particular order ...

Mark Fox - he's only 55, seems like he's been around forever

Mike Brey

Mike Anderson

Josh Pastner (ugh, no!)

Brian Gregory (we could actually have him now!)

Rick Stansbury

Some others from the year before who I don't think have head coaching gigs

Dan Muller

Bruce Weber - old at 67, but a lot of experience recruiting the Midwest. Perhaps he's done

Mark Turgeon - this one might be interesting

Chris Mack - mentioned many times

Cuonzo Martin

On the other end of the spectrum, some programs from the low major level currently in or just outside the Top 100 who have coaches who may be worth a look..

McNeese, Samford, Cornell, Western Carolina, Drexel, High Point

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

IF they want to go the retread route - here are some experienced coaches who were let go last year, in no particular order ...

Mark Fox - he's only 55, seems like he's been around forever

Mike Brey

Mike Anderson

Josh Pastner (ugh, no!)

Brian Gregory (we could actually have him now!)

Rick Stansbury

Some others from the year before who I don't think have head coaching gigs

Dan Muller

Bruce Weber - old at 67, but a lot of experience recruiting the Midwest. Perhaps he's done

Mark Turgeon - this one might be interesting

Chris Mack - mentioned many times

Cuonzo Martin

On the other end of the spectrum, some programs from the low major level currently in or just outside the Top 100 who have coaches who may be worth a look..

McNeese, Samford, Cornell, Western Carolina, Drexel, High Point

If they consider a single person on this list besides Mack, just fold the program now. 

23 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

If they consider a single person on this list besides Mack, just fold the program now. 

If Mack is not happening, then who you got?

BTW - I was not really advocating for anyone on that list, just curious what people think. I haven't been very inspired either by most names tossed out there.

25 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Let’s get real for a minute. What would be attractive about SLU to Mack? Unless he’s in a position like Pitino was when Iona tossed him a lifeline, ie no one else would touch Rick with a ten foot pole, Mack should get a handful of P5 offers. Were his offenses at UL as bad as Pitino’s? I don’t mind giving offending coaches a shot at redemption and neither did the Houston or Auburn programs that are flourishing with ex con coaches. I just don’t see Mack thinking SLU is a good landing spot unless we throw a bucket full of money at him and an overflowing NIL war chest. And if he were to succeed here, he’d likely bolt just like Pitino when the first P6 comes knocking on his door. I don’t see him as a long term fix. 

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

If Mack is not happening, then who you got?

BTW - I was not really advocating for anyone on that list, just curious what people think. I haven't been very inspired either by most names tossed out there.

I don’t honestly thing SLU will land Mack at the end of the day. He’ll have his pick of jobs, and possibly multiple Big East opportunities to pick from this cycle, if some rumors around Sean Miller at Xavier are to be believed. 

I don’t necessarily have a dream candidate at the end of the day. Some interesting names have been thrown out between here and Twitter. I guess if I had to name a profile though, I’d lean more on the side of a guy who is rising through the low/mid-major ranks, winning with less resources than SLU probably has. 

55 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I'm not saying you're wrong I just find it funny how fairly quickly some "big name" up and coming coaches can be regarded as retreads and suddenly not even good enough for SLU - Pastner was a media darling, a boy wonder, Gregory - we know all about him, Mike Anderson, promoted several times at P6 programs, Cuonzo hired at several P5 programs, Dan Muller - pretty highly regarded not long ago when he had a Top 40 team who got snubbed by the Tourney committee - he was even mentioned as a possible replacement for Groce (another one time up and comer) at Illinois.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Bruce Weber lives in Webster Groves, not an endorsement

-I like the Chris Mack idea but if not him my candidate will have had success beyond what one recruiting class provides, I don't know who that is

It wouldn't be the worst idea to have him as an assistant coach paired with a young head coach, if something like that would appeal to him.

17 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I like the Chris Mack idea but if not him my candidate will have had success beyond what one recruiting class provides, I don't know who that is

I had heard that but I legit thought the person was getting him mixed up with someone else. How random?

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not saying you're wrong I just find it funny how fairly quickly some "big name" up and coming coaches can be regarded as retreads and suddenly not even good enough for SLU - Pastner was a media darling, a boy wonder, Gregory - we know all about him, Mike Anderson, promoted several times at P6 programs, Cuonzo hired at several P5 programs, Dan Muller - pretty highly regarded not long ago when he had a Top 40 team who got snubbed by the Tourney committee - he was even mentioned as a possible replacement for Groce (another one time up and comer) at Illinois.

Reputations change quickly. It’s all about if a person can reinvent themselves when they move back down a level after being at a P6 and not meeting expectations. 

I just really don’t want to end up with someone who ends up being another Travis Ford, and SLU is stuck in a land of being good, but not dancing. 

20 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

If Bruce does live in WG, how many BIllikens games has he attended?

5 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Reputations change quickly. It’s all about if a person can reinvent themselves when they move back down a level after being at a P6 and not meeting expectations. 

I just really don’t want to end up with someone who ends up being another Travis Ford, and SLU is stuck in a land of being good, but not dancing. 

The following may be a take that is not very popular, but I don't think Ford was a bad hire...

He got the team in the Dance in just his third year following the Crews dumpster fire; then the following 3 seasons, he had 3 Top 50 ish teams (I don't want to rehash bad luck v. excuses v. self-inflicted wounds) but the bottom line is not too many coaches in SLU history stacked recruiting classes and built rosters like that over a four-year period.

BUT.... BUT I also think that in the new NIL/Portal wild west era, things have clearly headed in the wrong direction. His time has probably run its course and a change is probably for the best.

In conclusion, because it's time for a change now, does not necessarily mean it was a bad hire then... both things can be true.

With NIL I don't think you should go about hiring a head coach and building a staff the same way you used to.  Hiring ace recruiters isn't nearly important as it once was.  Far more important now is skill development, talent evaluation and running a system that players can quickly adapt to.  Just as important is a willingness to hire someone who is willing to go all in on selling the importance of giving to NIL to the fanbase.

Those things probably should work against some of the more established names.  Not everyone of them, but I really do wonder if some of the are really ready for this new world.

2010andBeyond likes this

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

The following may be a take that is not very popular, but I don't think Ford was a bad hire...

He got the team in the Dance in just his third year following the Crews dumpster fire; then the following 3 seasons, he had 3 Top 50 ish teams (I don't want to rehash bad luck v. excuses v. self-inflicted wounds) but the bottom line is not too many coaches in SLU history stacked recruiting classes and built rosters like that over a four-year period.

BUT.... BUT I also think that in the new NIL/Portal wild west era, things have clearly headed in the wrong direction. His time has probably run its course and a change is probably for the best.

In conclusion, because it's time for a change now, does not necessarily mean it was a bad hire then... both things can be true.

The college basketball environment changed drastically over the last 3 years.  Some of the OGs decided to retire so they didn't have to deal with it.  Some of the coaches who were leading top 25 teams before NIL are struggling to make the tournament now. 

If the BOT wants an established name all they have to do is wait a year.  The list will just get longer.  Any search firm that claims that they can pick a winner in this new environment is lying.  It's the Wild Wild West out here.  

1 hour ago, ACE said:

TF generated legitimate buzz when he was announced.  He brought big time coaching experience, media skills, etc.   In other words, a similar package to several nominees on the growing list of coaching possibilities posted so far.

18 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

Hmm... didn't know this.  Doesn't seem to own any property in St Louis County though, does he rent?

1 hour ago, TheBand said:

Hmm... didn't know this.  Doesn't seem to own any property in St Louis County though, does he rent?

After trying a few things I think I found it on the county website. Jeez I'm a creep. Assume it's him (middle initial is the same, wife's name, and the mailing address is a house in Naples worth over $4M). Purchased in the fall of 2020. So random, why would he own property in Webster Groves?!

19 hours ago, slu72 said:

Let’s get real for a minute. What would be attractive about SLU to Mack? Unless he’s in a position like Pitino was when Iona tossed him a lifeline, ie no one else would touch Rick with a ten foot pole, Mack should get a handful of P5 offers. Were his offenses at UL as bad as Pitino’s? I don’t mind giving offending coaches a shot at redemption and neither did the Houston or Auburn programs that are flourishing with ex con coaches. I just don’t see Mack thinking SLU is a good landing spot unless we throw a bucket full of money at him and an overflowing NIL war chest. And if he were to succeed here, he’d likely bolt just like Pitino when the first P6 comes knocking on his door. I don’t see him as a long term fix. 

If a coach "bolts" that means he was successful -- what is this attitude? VCU has had "bolt"ing coaches forever and they are way more successful than us.

You don't think Ford would leap and sprint at the opportunity for a P5+1 job? Lol. Ford is here because noone wants him. The very problem is that we have a coach that can't bolt - because he's not good enough.

laker119 and TheChosenOne like this