2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I agree with you about SLU being risk averse, but they are actually at the point where they have nothing to lose.  The team isn’t even a top 200 team (much less tournament contender), recruiting has cratered and we have our worst average attendance (Not including the COVID season) since 1985-86.  1985-86 was Roland Gray’s and Monroe Douglass’s freshman season and the first winning season the Billikens had since 1972-73.

If the team makes a run when Parker returns, the case can be made that this injury-riddled, defensive disaster is an aberration. Add a defensive stopper and upgrade the point guard position and we're right back in the mix.  Which is probably true.  And remember, the money men WANT the sales pitch to be true.

There have been a lot of convincing cases made to make a change at the end of the season.  But none of those cases suggest a course of action that the BOT would actually follow.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the team makes a run when Parker returns, the case can be made that this injury-riddled, defensive disaster is an aberration. Add a defensive stopper and upgrade the point guard position and we're right back in the mix.  Which is probably true.  And remember, the money men WANT the sales pitch to be true.

There have been a lot of convincing cases made to make a change at the end of the season.  But none of those cases suggest a course of action that the BOT would actually follow.  

The BOT is going to act on recommendations from May and Fred P. They are not going to independently take up a coaching issue. 

In the era of unlimited unrestricted transfers & NIL money the fastest way to get better IS to fire the coach.

I am truly mystified why people think firing a coach is some kind of dangerous decision. Look at GMU. 11 new guys this year after getting raided by Providence(who went from losing to us to being ranked) .. and GMU is still top 100 kenpom and looking to get better.

SLU is gonna fall off a cliff once we have lost our fifth and sixth and seventh year guys. Even a cliff from where we are now. Ford could go 300+ ..

36 minutes ago, Soderball said:

In the era of unlimited unrestricted transfers & NIL money the fastest way to get better IS to fire the coach.

I am truly mystified why people think firing a coach is some kind of dangerous decision. Look at GMU. 11 new guys this year after getting raided by Providence(who went from losing to us to being ranked) .. and GMU is still top 100 kenpom and looking to get better.

SLU is gonna fall off a cliff once we have lost our fifth and sixth and seventh year guys. Even a cliff from where we are now. Ford could go 300+ ..

Then a bewildered BOT might be forced to think outside the box for once and turn to the younger generation for advice.  Otherwise the old boy network of doing things will continue.

If you want a different coaching style for SLU, check out Ben Hochmans article today on the St Louis Post-Dispatch. It’s behind a paywall, but here are the highlights. The Greenville University coach, Dr. George Barber, has them scoring 115.8 ppg. The goal is to get 100 FG attempts per game, 50 of them 3 point attempts. They get there by trying to get 32 turnovers a game, and 25 more shot attempts per game by doing a full court press ALL the time, and keep it up by rotating in a new group of 5 players every 1-2 minutes. Not sure if it would work at the D1 level, but it would be entertaining as heck to watch.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/column/benjamin-hochman/hochman-how-does-this-illinois-college-hoops-team-with-stl-native-average-115-points-per/article_30d3251e-ad6b-11ee-a8da-5bcda85712d3.html

At that level the talent isn't as important since everyone isn't that great. On a good D1 team you can expect to get 6-8 serious, big-minute D1 players most of the time.

If you're turning the ball over or fouling too much you're also going to get wrecked.

We need a rounded roster that can actually play defense, protect the rim, and shooters. We also need the most critical part of any CBB team: good point guard play. Biggest part of why we suck so bad right now is that our PGs are woefully inadequate; it's like when we had Aaron Hines leading the A10 in MPG. Horrible.(Aaron was a good kid but he started out as a walkon and it showed throughout his career and Crewsplatt couldnt recruit over him due to laziness and incompetence on the coaching staff.)

People like billiken_roy don't like to talk about the reality that PG play was not the problem last year; sure it was less-than-ideal that the main PG wasn't a stone cold scorer in addition to other skills, but last years team was also a top-100 performer and beat great teams like Memphis and got a win over UD at home. The problems they had were more nuanced than just sucking. Our big men(we did have big men) were soft(forrester) or had bad hands(okoro) .. but the size and and core wasn't an issue. Before we got Brad we had like 0 points in the paint, and we still can't defend the rim at all(Ezewiro is still woefully out of shape and can't play big minutes or put real effort on defense) .. We were 12-6, the issue was that we weren't 16-2. Ace Baldwin ate our lunch three times.

This year we are beating Dartmouth by 1, getting blasted by SIUC, and losing at home to Loyola.

yuri lost more games with ford's blessings than he won.   he's definitely not on my all time billikens list.   maybe if we change the list name to all time selfish billikens list, he'd make that.  

AGB91, Old guy and NextYearBill like this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

yuri lost more games with ford's blessings than he won.   he's definitely not on my all time billikens list.   maybe if we change the list name to all time selfish billikens list, he'd make that.  

I just find this legitimately baffling.

He would never be on my all-Billiken team either; (Marquee Perry and KM take the cake at the PG slot hands down, no question, MUCH better individual scorers and stone cold killers late game)

He was much better than the kind of PG play we are seeing this year.

I still blame the "Ford Weave" for our offensive ills. I legitimately think slufanskip's school kids can run a more complicated offense than the Bills do.

6 minutes ago, Soderball said:

He would never be on my all-Billiken team either; (Marquee Perry and KM take the cake at the PG slot hands down, no question, MUCH better individual scorers and stone cold killers late game)

I still blame the "Ford Weave" for our offensive ills. I legitimately think slufanskip's school kids can run a more complicated offense than the Bills do.

Agree.  I would add that Yuri was doing 100% what CTF asked him to do.  Why else would CTF dub Yuri "the best PG in the nation" multiple times.

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So the guy who led the country twice in the stat which is most "unselfish" is considered selfish? 

CenHudDude likes this

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

So the guy who led the country twice in the stat which is most "unselfish" is considered selfish? 

ace if he played the game in the normal course of the flow of the game i would be fine.   he was a very good point guard, but the situations where he would purposely stop action and dribble around in circles in the half court then make a wild drive to the basket and get blocked or miss by a mile far exceeded his success.  

as to the assists, good for him.   no doubt he was a good passer with a lot of highlight film passea those were fun.   but the hero ball was horrible.   and while i cannot find it, i would bet his is the program's all time turnover leader as well.   those not so much fun.  makes you wonder sometimes why he even would try those passes?   is that part of the selfish yuri to pad his stats?   i dont know.  but i didnt like it. 

MB73 likes this

6 hours ago, Soderball said:

I don't care how a team scores.  If you have a system and recruit players to that system, great.  If you have a trio of one-on-one scorers and let them carry the offense, fine.  If you have the nation's leading assist man to set the table, then do that.  But if you don't have a system or multiple one-one players or Yuri Collins you can't carry out any of these options.

The cool thing about having a system is theoretically you can plug in another guy and still be somewhat effective.  When your success depends mostly on players making plays and one of those key players is unavailable, you're hard-pressed to even win a game.

According to my fellow MBMs, the BVF has $500K+ to sign players.  That's enough to sign a scoring point guard, a defensive stopper, pay Parker and Big Brad and the role players around them.  If Coach Ford does return, he should thank Troy Robertson and company for building up a respectable war chest.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

So Travis is saying he is playing walk-ons - who?  Unless I have been asleep I have yet to see a walk on play this year - correct me, please or is this just another Ford grasping at excuses to cover his mess.

I guess Hughes has been relegated to walk on status again.  Small sacrifice to protect King Travis.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I guess Hughes has been relegated to walk on status again.  Small sacrifice to protect King Travis.

I know you are kidding but that would be rich if he really did take a schollie away to prove his claim.

48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So Travis is saying he is playing walk-ons - who?  Unless I have been asleep I have yet to see a walk on play this year - correct me, please or is this just another of Ford grasping at excuses to cover his mess.

-no, not Travis