Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

May had a choice.  He made the wrong one.  You don’t get a pass because you were unwilling to make an unpopular decision with the local media.  That is why you hire an AD in the first place.  There were plenty on here who were not happy with the decision at the time.

And there were plenty who were happy with it at the time. I believe it is revisionist history that there was an outcry at the time. May had no choice. Not all our choices in life turn out to be correct. If you want to go back and show me your posts to the contrary I will at least concede to you. 

10 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Pretty wild thing to say given how this season has gone. The “people who don’t have anything better to do” are the only ones still showing up to games. 

God, I hate Ford.

5 hours ago, ACE said:

You can "disagree" all you want, but it doesn't make it true.  FACT: In D1 hoops, "Most other teams that season managed to do it and avoid the super spreaders."

You don't have to "cancel the season" to be safe, just take some basic precaution. We saw the result of not doing so.

Didn’t our women’s team miss games?   Should have fired Stone earlier?   If you don’t remember the massive amount of games missed in all of the sports in all conferences, I can’t help you.   I had football tickets in three consecutive weeks for different ACC and SEC football games that were all cancelled.   They must have all gone to the Travis “super spreader” events.  I bet some people are devastated we pulled out that win today.

MB73 likes this

32 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Pretty wild thing to say given how this season has gone. The “people who don’t have anything better to do” are the only ones still showing up to games. 

This is outrageous from a program’s head coach. Imagine being on the hot seat, and calling out the only people who give a rat’s a$$ about the program. If Ford is not fired at the end of this season I will not be renewing season tickets.  Had been leaning that way a long time, but this makes it official.  I actually DO have better things to do than waste any more time on a program giving a giant middle finger to the few left who actually care. 

42 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Reread it - he says it is the people who are negative that doesn't have anything to better not the people who come to the games.   I will be glad when he moves on but lets not make stuff up.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Reread it - he says it is the people who are negative that doesn't have anything to better not the people who come to the games.   I will be glad when he moves on but lets not make stuff up.

surely he knows those groups are not mutually exclusive.   Some of the most negative comments are from the people going to games simply because they are the most passionate fans and are disappointed in where the program sits.

Seriously, what can he say to the team? He can't have them quit. They were teetering and a win today helps their psyche.

The problem for Ford is he built the roster, installed the offense and defense and runs the practices. If all that is done well you can push the psychological buttons to get an edge. If that isn't done well, as we know it's not, psychological buttons only have so much effectiveness.

I'm growing more concerned that SLU has our own Jerry and Steven Jones and not Art and Dan Rooney. 

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Reread it - he says it is the people who are negative that doesn't have anything to better not the people who come to the games.   I will be glad when he moves on but let’s not make stuff up.

I don’t believe I’m making anything up. To me, he’s referring to passionate fans who are correct in their criticisms of the program and lumping them together with a group of people that don’t exist. I haven’t seen anything on social media or at games that I would consider over the line. 

18 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This is outrageous from a program’s head coach. Imagine being on the hot seat, and calling out the only people who give a rat’s a$$ about the program. If Ford is not fired at the end of this season I will not be renewing season tickets.  Had been leaning that way a long time, but this makes it official.  I actually DO have better things to do than waste any more time on a program giving a giant middle finger to the few left who actually care. 

Please go away.  You are one of the more toxic/disturbed people on here.

2 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I don’t believe I’m making anything up. To me, he’s referring to passionate fans who are correct in their criticisms of the program and lumping them together with a group of people that don’t exist. I haven’t seen anything on social media or at games that I would consider over the line. 

He has a bunch of kids - many of them freshman - who likely read this board and definitely read social media that says they suck and their coach sucks.  What do you expect him to do?  Agree?  Of course, he is going to stick up for himself and his guys.  It is also a great rallying cry for the team to prove the haters wrong.

12 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

surely he knows those groups are not mutually exclusive.   Some of the most negative comments are from the people going to games simply because they are the most passionate fans and are disappointed in where the program sits.

He was simply trying to say to the players - don't let those who are negative impact you.  You all can read what you want into it but that is not what he said.  There are those on this board who don't go to any games for a variety of reasons.  Everybody who posts are not attending games regularly.

Just now, Billfan7 said:

He has a bunch of kids - many of them freshman - who likely read this board and definitely read social media that says they suck and their coach sucks.  What do you expect him to do?  Agree?  Of course, he is going to stick up for himself and his guys.  It is also a great rallying cry for the team to prove the haters wrong.

There are things you say publicly and things you do not. Usually you want to the fans to be part of the "us against the world" mentality. His team just lost a game by 40 points to a mid major a week ago. Every single negative thing about Travis Ford and the program is earned. Nobody has been over the top toward in negativity toward his players. Only him.

SLU_Nick likes this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He was simply trying to say to the players - don't let those who are negative impact you.  You all can read what you want into it but that is not what he said.  There are those on this board who don't go to any games for a variety of reasons.  Everybody who posts are not attending games regularly.

I see your point.   I think all message boards get negative.  I think Ford is feeling heat from many directions and he reacted to it.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

8 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Well, he’s had 8 years to prove the “haters” wrong and hasn’t done so. I would also say that the overwhelming majority of the criticism is directed mainly to Travis and May, not the players. 

Just now, stmdragons said:

Well, he’s had 8 years to prove the “haters” wrong and hasn’t done so. I would also say that the overwhelming majority of the criticism is directed mainly to Travis and May, not the players. 

Roster construction is his own doing as well. He messed this up, he has to fix it. He's put his players in this position.

1 hour ago, stmdragons said:

Correct. The casual fan does not have SLU on their radar. They don’t care about billiken basketball at all. We b*tch because we care

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Meh, I don’t have a problem with what he said. What’s he suppose to say?

There are a billion reasons I want Ford out of here but that quote doesn’t make my list. 

I agree.  Pretty much the same post game spiel he’s been giving for the last 7 years when they win.  This one just had some extra pepper on it because he’s feeling the heat.

11 hours ago, willie said:

And there were plenty who were happy with it at the time. I believe it is revisionist history that there was an outcry at the time. May had no choice. Not all our choices in life turn out to be correct. If you want to go back and show me your posts to the contrary I will at least concede to you. 

I’m sure there were plenty happy about it at the time.  I’m sure the current BoT chairman loved it.  Fans remembered the Crews glory days in the MCC.  A conference that matters so much it had to change its name.  Others saw past the happy moment story being sold and realized it had been 13 years since Jim Crews had coached a team with a winning record.  We realized he had been fired from Army for abusing cadets.  Others were in love with the feel good story of the moment and weren’t willing to do a damn bit of research past what felt good.

The AD is supposed to be the voice of reason in the room that stops BoT members from falling in love with what was never a feel good story in the first place.