Toby Gillen Going for National Championship in 5,000 m

https://slubillikens.com/news/2023/5/26/track-field-gillen-qualifies-for-ncaa-championships.aspx

I've had tickets for the NCAA Track National Championship for months.  Nice to see that a SLU Athlete will be competing.

Let's go Toby Gillen!

5,000 meter race NCAA Track championship

Pistol and cgeldmacher like this

Well he's wearing a SLU uniform at the NCAA National Championship. If he wins It'll count for us. 

D@mn all this movement school to school even in track?!

Are schools poaching our chess team yet? What about mock trial?

i would think the big track schools will take care of him.  if so, cant blame him for leaving.   tough to blame a private school like slu with high room and board and tuition costs to justify an abundance of scholarship money for a non revenue sport.   does the ncaa limit all schools to 12.6 track and field scholarships?   i find it hard to believe the likes of track and field powerhouse schools like standford or illinois that have huge teams and annual success only giving out 12.6 scholarships a year and maintain that consistentcy.  but i also profess i dont follow college track and field very closely.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i would think the big track schools will take care of him.  if so, cant blame him for leaving.   tough to blame a private school like slu with high room and board and tuition costs to justify an abundance of scholarship money for a non revenue sport.   does the ncaa limit all schools to 12.6 track and field scholarships?   i find it hard to believe the likes of track and field powerhouse schools like standford or illinois that have huge teams and annual success only giving out 12.6 scholarships a year and maintain that consistentcy.  but i also profess i dont follow college track and field very closely.

I believe they just double dip with cross country scholarships. Anyone who is on cross country is also on the track roster so those scholarships are going towards both programs realistically. 

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

College sports just totally suck right now.

Maybe hop on the Pickleball train. It's pretty fun. I started a league the Driveway Pickleball Association (DPA) @Slu Let The Dogs Out already signed up.  Get Leon in and you can get a franchise. Buy in is $68 but that goes toward your Franklin half court starter set.  I'm in discussions with Doritos Dynamitos to sponsor my team. They're like Takis but better. Also looking at a NIL deal with former SLU Walk on Luke Woltering. Games will be broadcast in 30 second increments via what's app and snap chat with a select group. Looking at a deal with Apple Cloud but that's behind a paywall and could hinder our outreach.

10 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Well he's wearing a SLU uniform at the NCAA National Championship. If he wins It'll count for us. 

D@mn all this movement school to school even in track?!

Are schools poaching our chess team yet? What about mock trial?

Our chess program exists because a coach and a handful of players were poached from another school.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Maybe hop on the Pickleball train. It's pretty fun. I started a league the Driveway Pickleball Association (DPA) @Slu Let The Dogs Out already signed up.  Get Leon in and you can get a franchise. Buy in is $68 but that goes toward your Franklin half court starter set.  I'm in discussions with Doritos Dynamitos to sponsor my team. They're like Takis but better. Also looking at a NIL deal with former SLU Walk on Luke Woltering. Games will be broadcast in 30 second increments via what's app and snap chat with a select group. Looking at a deal with Apple Cloud but that's behind a paywall and could hinder our outreach.

damn now $$ involved in Pickleball? damn I've never played but more than semi-done now.

Gillen has a chance to be a world class olympian runner. SLU's program just can't support what he needs to develop further. He may bring home a natty for us and enjoy it. It is either transfer or go pro in some sort of fashion.  He really needs his own personal coach and training staff. Our coach drives the bus to meets.

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Our chess program exists because a coach and a handful of players were poached from another school.

And because a billionaire obsessed with chess is donating a lot of money.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Not that I can see. Dude is WAY into chess. Maybe he would sponsor an event where the 5 starters on two basketball teams matched up over chess boards, team that wins 3 of the 5 games wins the event. 

Rex certainly likes sitting courtside at SLU bball games

7 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

He’s probably dreaming of opening moves for his next chess game.

7 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Rex certainly likes sitting courtside at SLU bball games

To be totally accurate he likes sitting on the baseline. Probably made about 1/3 of the games. 

22 hours ago, thetorch said:

Gillen has a chance to be a world class olympian runner. SLU's program just can't support what he needs to develop further. He may bring home a natty for us and enjoy it. It is either transfer or go pro in some sort of fashion.  He really needs his own personal coach and training staff. Our coach drives the bus to meets.

He is looking at going to Northern Arizona University, who currently hold the NCAA 5000m record.

1 hour ago, Speyburn said:

He is looking at going to Northern Arizona University, who currently hold the NCAA 5000m record.

NAU is one of, if not the premier, cross country schools in the nation.  They have won 6 NCAA championships and have been runner up 3 times.  While their T&F teams is quite good, it doesn't have the national results that the XCC team does. 

The daily competition Toby would get there is what would make a difference in his development.