New Assistant Coach

slufan13

Was just joking about Gregory , after the talk of rumors of him becoming our coach, 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our coaching staff being poached by Loyola is pretty shameful.

I hope that Ford is saving face here for his coaching staff who were rightfully forced out because of last season's poor performance.

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

I still think Cuonzo would be a great fit, I really don't understand what people's expectations are. 

he's tainted.   mi$$ouri and purdue bad blood.  let him go somewhere else and f up their basketball team.

thatskablamo likes this

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

I still think Cuonzo would be a great fit, I really don't understand what people's expectations are. 

Whatever expectations are - they better lower them. Ford isn't getting a great, established assistant to come here at this point. Best hope is taking a chance on an up and coming in the Forte/Stuen mold. The rest are going to be Platt-ian level retreads. 

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

Cuonzo is a great defensive coach.  That said, Ford is capable of putting together a decent defensive team(I think), we need the offensive version of cuonzo more.  

gabriel and johnbj14 like this

9 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Or two coaches with two players.

Or intentionally not making the hire official until end of Summer so the coach can recruit free of rules and regulations the next few months.  Tomorrow starts the first live period of the spring AAU session.  Although think we all think our post savior will come from the portal and not the HS ranks. 

billiken_roy likes this

58 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is holding out for a new assistant coach that can bring a player with him.

He actually joked about that on Frank's show last week. Frank joked that he (Frank) was available and Ford asked him if he had any recruits he could bring with him. I actually think this is likely?

39 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Or intentionally not making the hire official until end of Summer so the coach can recruit free of rules and regulations the next few months.  Tomorrow starts the first live period of the spring AAU session.  Although think we all think our post savior will come from the portal and not the HS ranks. 

That only works if the coach(es) he's hiring are out of a job currently. Which I hope we aren't really going down that route because we need guys who have players attached 

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

That only works if the coach(es) he's hiring are out of a job currently. Which I hope we aren't really going down that route because we need guys who have players attached 

I don't know if it really works like that anymore.  Why would any player follow an assistant anymore?  You need to get yourself paid before you worry about getting your favorite assistant paid.

billiken_roy likes this

8 hours ago, gabriel said:

Here's a somewhat objective critique of that hire - too much overlap with Coach Tate's recruiting strengths.

Many of Cuonzo's big recruits Jeremiah Tilmon, Torrence Watson, Javon Pickett, Mark Smith, Mario McKinney, Yaya Keita were local guys, some of whom we recruited and had a decent shot at, but they ended up choosing differently. Coach Tate covers the same ground - Jordan Goodwin, Terrence Hargrove, Javon Pickett, Yuri Collins, Jordan Nesbitt, Carte'Are Gordon.

We might be better off with an assistant who's recruiting strengths compliment Coach Tate's, instead of perfectly overlapping them.

johnbj14 likes this