New Assistant Coach

slufan13

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Bailey has had 3 A10 jobs in one year.  Briefly at UMass then to SLU in July 2022, and now to Loyola in April 2023.  He is from Chicago, and I hope he finds what he wants going back home.

6 hours ago, ACE said:

We now need an assistant with East Coast connections. 

Considering all of our recent East Coast offers looks like we have on already.  Nunez.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, thetorch said:

Conklin was booted out of the Australian League.  He would have much better connections in Europe or possibly Puerto Rico.  Hiring him now is extremely doubtful as he is still finishing up his season.

Per Wikipedia, Conklin's elbow incident(s) happened during the 2015-16 season when he was with the Townsville Crocs.  He was suspended & then was some contract shenanigans too, but that seemed largely a beef between Conklin & Townsville rather than the NBL as a whole.  He then played in Puerto Rico, Domincan Republic, and France over the next few years, but returned to the NBL in 2018-19 with the Illawara Hawks.  That leads me to think that he'd still have connections in Australian despite being "booted out".

Piecing together the info on Wiki, I believe he has played 4 season in Australia (1 being cut short with the suspension & contract termination), 4 in Puerto Rico, 4 in France, 2 in New Zealand, 1 in Dominican Republic, 1 in Turkey, and 1 in Portugal.  Note that some of those were in the same year & I'm not sure all were full seasons.  I don't think he'd necessarily have better connections in Europe than Australia, but he could potentially have connections in all those places.

Edit: None of this is meant to necessarily be an endorsement of Conklin as an assistant coach nor do I think he'll be the hire we make.

Edited by RUBillsFan