Transfers - 2023

ACE

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I'm not sure Linssen was that great but he filled and embraced the role perfectly. I'd take him as a bench big man on any team in the country. He also played with passion and intensity and wasn't afraid to show that to his teammates which this team really missed. The guy could have a 4/2 statline and would be the most valuable player in the game 

Der Panzer.  Injury bug really hurt him his last year… he was awesome before that. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All teams need Linssens.  Sometimes they are named Marc Iavaroni.  Sometimes Kurt Rambis.  Sometimes Dennis Rodman.  Other times Luke Jackson.  The point being that not all players are stars, but are serviceable players at what they do and what is needed.  A part or cog of the overall machine.  The problem has been IMHO that Ford's machine design is extremely flawed and short-sighted.  You don't have a roster with one point guard, one serviceable big and 8 similar wings and 2 or 3 projects.  Can't work that way.  Just can't.  

With the loss of Vice (not that he was the true savior by any means) the future in Midtown does NOT require shades.

Coach314 likes this

Not picking on your post and I Agee with it but Denis Rodman was a star. Unbelievable rebounder and defensive player. 

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

All teams need Linssens.  Sometimes they are named Marc Iavaroni.  Sometimes Kurt Rambis.  Sometimes Dennis Rodman.  Other times Luke Jackson.  The point being that not all players are stars, but are serviceable players at what they do and what is needed.  A part or cog of the overall machine.  The problem has been IMHO that Ford's machine design is extremely flawed and short-sighted.  You don't have a roster with one point guard, one serviceable big and 8 similar wings and 2 or 3 projects.  Can't work that way.  Just can't.  

With the loss of Vice (not that he was the true savior by any means) the future in Midtown does NOT require shades.

Major Majerus likes this

@willie:  I'm pretty sure no one said "Hey the Chicago Bulls are in town tonight.  Let's go see Dennis Rodman.  Well .... maybe a few here and there.  But that was Jordan and Pippen but you need Rodmans and Longleys and Kerrs to also do what they do to be as great as they were.  Iavaroni started alongside Doctor J.  Rambis was the odd ball in the Fabulous Forum days.  Luke Jackson was the 4 to WIlt's 5 in Philadelphia.  Team construction is key.  That's two 76er teams mentioned but how many did they win with all those superstars .... J, McGinnis, Bobby Jones, Caldwell Jones, Toney, Dawkins?  None.  Until Moses came along and the chemistry and roster construction worked.  You still need workable parts to form a whole.

Let's see ..... Hughes, Parker, Jimerson, Thames, Rivera, Hargrove and (maybe) Medley.  Technically, they are all guards.  

15 hours ago, Taj79 said:

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@willie:  I'm pretty sure no one said "Hey the Chicago Bulls are in town tonight.  Let's go see Dennis Rodman.  Well .... maybe a few here and there.  But that was Jordan and Pippen but you need Rodmans and Longleys and Kerrs to also do what they do to be as great as they were.  Iavaroni started alongside Doctor J.  Rambis was the odd ball in the Fabulous Forum days.  Luke Jackson was the 4 to WIlt's 5 in Philadelphia.  Team construction is key.  That's two 76er teams mentioned but how many did they win with all those superstars .... J, McGinnis, Bobby Jones, Caldwell Jones, Toney, Dawkins?  None.  Until Moses came along and the chemistry and roster construction worked.  You still need workable parts to form a whole.

Let's see ..... Hughes, Parker, Jimerson, Thames, Rivera, Hargrove and (maybe) Medley.  Technically, they are all guards.  

Not picking on your post and I Agee with it but Denis Rodman was a star. Unbelievable rebounder and defensive player. 

15 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Not disagreeing with anything you are saying just one of the greatest rebounders in history was a star. I would pay to see him play. Besides he kept us from war with North Korea. (Sarcasm just in case)

Tonka likes this

@willie: not arguing back at you but grabbing all those rebounds doesn't put the ball in the basket.  It does get more chances for the real scorers on the roster and last I checked you still needed to score points to win.  Rodman is, however, a perfect example of the various cogs on a team playing to their individual strengths for the betterment of the team.  No doubt.  Rebounders.  Scorers.  Assist men.  Lock down defenders.  Microwaves.  Three point bombers.  Having them all on the roster is one thing; having backup is another; getting them all of the same page is another; and having a system to employ them is another.  And then there is the mental aspect.  The injury bug.  And the head cases --- which Rodman was indeed.

thatskablamo likes this

2 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Any Cal guys still in the portal that could be moving over with Harriman?

Cal won only 3 games last year.   Do we care about their possible transfers?

22 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Probably not too much. It looks like the most interesting players from their roster are big man Lars Thiemann who announced his transfer to Loyola Marymount last week and guard Devin Askew who transferred to Cal from Texas (where he transferred to from Kentucky), but he is from Sacramento, had season ending surgery in January, and presumably would have to sit out if he transferred again. Possibly the next in line would be forward Kuany Kuany (from Kenya and moved to Australia at a young age, so a natural link to Harriman there) who played four seasons at Cal and had the career arc of a developmental role player. Based on our roster he would be a roster fit, but unlikely to be an overly exciting addition (averaged a very inefficient 9 points and 3.9 rebounds and seemingly played more as a wing) and it appears that he actually played more on the wing than in the post at Cal, so doubtful he is much of a solution as playing as the big in a four guard offense, he’d likely need to be paired with a true big.  Freshman forward Grant Newell from Chicago put up solid numbers in his first season, so he might be another guy of interest. ND Okafor (from Nigeria, but moved to Ireland) didn't produce much as a freshman, but has some physical traits as a 6'9, 235 forward, had some big time interest out of high school, and has international playing experience/success. Joel Brown is a combo guard who played four seasons at Cal (played a lot of minutes and started a lot of games, but fairly limited production) and I see someone referenced him as another option.

gabriel likes this

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

unfortunately yes.  There aren't a ton of good options anymore esp. frontcourt help, at least that we have a chance at. Brown * could* start here next year, Kuany would need to be a backup or we're in BIG trouble. 

11 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Tim Dalger from Tulsa appears to be in STL for a visit, averaged 10.2/5.3 last year for Tulsa. Would be a great get. 

6'7", 220 lbs

Stats
2022-23

GP MIN  FG%  3P%  FT%  REB  AST  BLK  STL  PF TO PTS
29 24.5 37.6 35.0  67.7  5.3  0.9  0.1 0.5 2.3 1.7 10.2

I want to preface this by saying I have no idea if SLU would have an interest in this guy - but A Cal guard named DeJuan Clayton hit the portal, so I was just thinking of possible Harriman connections. I'm not necessarily advocating for him, but I'm posting this because he has a fascinating background. This upcoming season would be his 8th college season!

Started at Coppin, went to Hartford and then Cal. It appears that he has had three redshirt injury seasons and I guess if you add in the covid bonus season that's how you get to 8 seasons. I have to think that would be an NCAA record.

BilliesBy40 likes this

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

I want to preface this by saying I have no idea if SLU would have an interest in this guy - but A Cal guard named DeJuan Clayton hit the portal, so I was just thinking of possible Harriman connections. I'm not necessarily advocating for him, but I'm posting this because he has a fascinating background. This upcoming season would be his 8th college season!

Started at Coppin, went to Hartford and then Cal. It appears that he has had three redshirt injury seasons and I guess if you add in the covid bonus season that's how you get to 8 seasons. I have to think that would be an NCAA record.

I was just checking his stats and it looks like his age is catching up to him.  His percentages and points per game have dropped off the last two years. 

Father Time is undefeated.

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Not many guys that can collect NIL and Social Security.