Transfers - 2023

ACE

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

perhaps. His size(weight) still worries me a lot. If we get him, I think there will be a strong emphasis on adding as much weight as possible.

Im not against getting him, but if we have any chance, I'd rather get Mohamed Diarra.  Very similar player.

I know the terms are dated and these guys are listed at very similar size with somewhat similar JUCO production on paper (Pryor average 14.8 points and 8.0 rebounds while Diarra averaged 17.8 points and 12.6 rebounds). However, Diarra strikes me as more of a true big (maybe proven by his rebounding numbers compared to Pryor (Diarra averaged 3.6 offensive/9 defensive vs 1.7 offensive/6.3 defensive for Pryor) and blocks (Diarra averaged 2.37 blocks vs 1.4 for Pryor) with stretch ability (he has some point forward type attributes to me) while Pryor to me looks more like a wing with length (not sure any of the stats prove that out though beyond far fewer TOs and him shooting a bit better from 3 on similar attempts and from the free throw line on much fewer attempts). Having watched Diarra at Mizzou, it certainly emphasizes to me the need to have the right expectations for kids moving up from the JUCO level especially if the expectation is for them to defend the paint and score at the rim. I will say when I watch both of those guys there is an awkwardness about their games that is somewhat similar. Is Diarra looking to continue playing in college? He had some somewhat intriguing attributes if allowed to play as more of stretch big instead primarily in the paint.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Roy, I agree with you, but...

the reality is we are a middling program in a Juan Bid League. We take what we can get at this point. Power 5 big guys will mop the floor with our bigs. The last time we competed in that arena was when we had Willie Reed, who had the potential to develop into a monstrous talent.

I know someone will come at me "but French and Goodwin" both fantastic players(especially goodwin) but not really traditional "5" big guys. French's height sometimes cost us, but the combo of him and goodwin allowed us to compete with the big boys on the boards sometimes.

i dont disagree it was the best we could get, and as my comments reflect, i have positive thoughts about what he gave us in effort and his production, but he wasnt the level some of these comments are projecting.   

gabriel likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i dont disagree it was the best we could get, and as my comments reflect, i have positive thoughts about what he gave us in effort and his production, but he wasnt the level some of these comments are projecting.   

Correct. Linssen was a very solid backup big, but folks seem to be going far beyond that romanticizing his time as a Billiken.

billiken_roy and gabriel like this

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

You don't believe a local realtor is the guy to deliver us results against high-major programs?

watch it, I could lead us against High major programs...

Interesting comment from Mizzou Coach Gates in the PD.  We knew this was likely to happen, but it seems like a real thing.

Until the May 11 portal deadline passes, Gates won’t know for sure how many scholarship spots are available. But for the roster mathematicians trying to calculate the team’s scholarship situation, a growing trend further clouds the picture. NCAA rules allow teams to carry a maximum of 13 scholarship players, but loopholes have emerged. Gates noted that several teams now feature scholarship-caliber players who aren’t on scholarship, subtly suggesting they’re being paid NIL income in lieu of scholarships.

“Certain kids are qualifying for in-state tuition and some kids are now able to pay their own way,” he said. “So you can’t operate and assume that rosters are capped at 13 kids. You can’t assume that because ultimately there’s ingenuity into building rosters more than ever before.”

slufan13 and Young Charles like this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting comment from Mizzou Coach Gates in the PD.  We knew this was likely to happen, but it seems like a real thing.

Until the May 11 portal deadline passes, Gates won’t know for sure how many scholarship spots are available. But for the roster mathematicians trying to calculate the team’s scholarship situation, a growing trend further clouds the picture. NCAA rules allow teams to carry a maximum of 13 scholarship players, but loopholes have emerged. Gates noted that several teams now feature scholarship-caliber players who aren’t on scholarship, subtly suggesting they’re being paid NIL income in lieu of scholarships.

“Certain kids are qualifying for in-state tuition and some kids are now able to pay their own way,” he said. “So you can’t operate and assume that rosters are capped at 13 kids. You can’t assume that because ultimately there’s ingenuity into building rosters more than ever before.”

Get ready for teams subbing offense for defense with two different squads......

53 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

You don't believe a local realtor is the guy to deliver us results against high-major programs?

I don't think the guy running it is the problem.  As @cheeseman said you got donors that are hesitant because they don't want to throw good moody after bad after losing faith in Ford.  I think a bigger long term problem could be that you might have a group of donors including one huge donor that are now pissed at the athletic program and SLU in general.  It goes beyond Ford now.  They don't want to give at all to anything.  I don't know how you fix that in the short or medium term regardless of what happens with the coaching situation in future years, if that really is the case.

billiken_roy likes this

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Might as well tag Arkansas in this. 

34 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Right, my post was just a joke.

Me too kinda.  But for real Ryan Luechtefeld is much smarter.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don't think the guy running it is the problem.  As @cheeseman said you got donors that are hesitant because they don't want to throw good moody after bad after losing faith in Ford.  I think a bigger long term problem could be that you might have a group of donors including one huge donor that are now pissed at the athletic program and SLU in general.  It goes beyond Ford now.  They don't want to give at all to anything.  I don't know how you fix that in the short or medium term regardless of what happens with the coaching situation in future years, if that really is the case.

My concern as well

Not to pile on what is already a difficult day for our program, but I hope people are not looking at the BVF as a way to elevate our program.  Here is what I mean.  There is almost no chance that our NIL fund is in the same league as the NIL funds of power conference state schools that kick out tens of thousands of graduates each year.  The power conference schools will always have more NIL money to spend, possibly by a lot, than we will.

Also, while I agree that kids will follow the money, there probably will not be a direct correlation between money offered and getting a kid.  If we offer a kid $100,000 to come to SLU out of the BVF, and, let's say, West Virginia offers the same kid $50,000, that kid may still choose WV, because he wants to play in a power conference.  He might think that he's going to be just fine on $50,000 a year, and the difference between that and the $100,000 we offer is not enough to sway him.

Having NIL money to offer and the BVF to organize that money and utilize it well is necessary in the present environment, but please don't think that our fund is going to change the landscape in comparison to others or suddenly cause us to get kids we wouldn't have gotten in the past.

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

look i hate the NiL b.s. as much as anyone.  but it is what it is.   and the toothpaste is out of the tube now.   there is no going back.   how in the hell do you think a kid from the ghetto is not going to be all about the money first and foremost?

coming out with the pat answer when asked about NiL money "we want guys that want to be here" might be the most head in the sand thing i have ever heard.  talk about destined to fail.   imo if we dont get in on this asap.  slu basketball arrow is going to be pointed down.  

Again, i dont like it, but it's now become part of the game and you dam well better embrace it or be left behind.  seriously, imo, we are headed towards D3 if we dont.

All time cliche post 🤔😃🏀

willie and VeniceMenace like this

4 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

I can’t believe the revisionist history with Marten right now. He was rock solid on offense and defense, only tailing off after a bad ankle injury that he dealt with the back half of his senior season. Give me a big man rotation of 3 Linssens and I’d be thrilled. 

Thank you John. I fu*king loved Linssen. 

I'm not sure Linssen was that great but he filled and embraced the role perfectly. I'd take him as a bench big man on any team in the country. He also played with passion and intensity and wasn't afraid to show that to his teammates which this team really missed. The guy could have a 4/2 statline and would be the most valuable player in the game