Transfers - 2023

ACE

Just now, slubillikens43 said:

Jimmy Bell and WVU are going to beat Bama FWIW

score is 0-0 today, my point is there are very few at large bids for anyone except the big boys, so  if it is deemed a failure not making the tourney, get used to failure or find a big boy to root for, imho a 7-11 record in conference should not equate to a bid

slubillikens43 likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Soderball said:

He watched him play all year.

Give me a "low character" coach who wins any day.

You can go watch the Gorloks or Uncle Brad or whatever. Sad. Pathetic. $2,400,000 for "feel good" stories.

None of us is paying his salary. How much he is paid is meaningless. 

We can discuss strategy, approach, uniforms, Team Bluesy, and whatever. But his salary should not figure into our discussions IMHO. I dont give a rat’s axx what he gets from SLU. What i do care about is results, the type of program he runs, the kinds of players I can be proud to say they are/were Billikens.

AGB91, billikenbill and dennis_w like this

3 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

We can discuss strategy, approach, uniforms, Team Bluesy, and whatever. But his salary should not figure into our discussions IMHO. I dont give a rat’s axx what he gets from SLU. What i do care about is results, the type of program he runs, the kinds of players I can be proud to say they are/were Billikens.

well you should to a certain degree.  His contract plays a part in all of this. 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

west virginia 7-11 in conference play, goes to ncaa tournament, fordham 12-6 in conference play with 25 wins doesnt sniff the nit.

WVU beat at least 5 highly (ranked 1 to 15) ranked teams.  WVU had one of the five toughest schedules in college basketball.  

Fordham would have been lucky to win one or two games in the Big 12 this year.  

WVU deserves to go based on their record after playing an incredibly difficult schedule IMO.

8 hours ago, dennis_w said:

my point roy was in response that players will only come to slu if they have no other choice and ford cant coach, if you want to say 21 wins is not enough so be it. but to say ford cant coach and the players dont want to play for him and you still win 21 doesnt make sense. either ford coached up the players that didnt want to play or the players  played above the level of coaching, how can you have it both ways, bad coaching and disgruntled players dont add up to top tier of the conference. pick one. i would have liked more wins, but lets be honest in our criticisms i dont think both positions  can be true

21* wins and nothing to show for it. Cannot consistently beat the top teams in a weak conference. Congrats!  

If you’re looking to transfer to a mid-major school and want to win 20 games a year AND be done before spring break then look no further, SLU and TFord are here for you!

58 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

21* wins and nothing to show for it. Cannot consistently beat the top teams in a weak conference. Congrats!  

If you’re looking to transfer to a mid-major school and want to win 20 games a year AND be done before spring break then look no further, SLU and TFord are here for you!

help me out, what percentage of mid-major schools are still playing?

3 hours ago, dennis_w said:

west virginia 7-11 in conference play, goes to ncaa tournament, fordham 12-6 in conference play with 25 wins doesnt sniff the nit.

I get why people don’t like it but WVU did have a top ten SOS, won twelve Q1 and Q2 games, and had no bad losses (7-0 in Q3 and Q4). They had more Q1 and Q2 wins than over 43% of teams in the top 40 NET.

Fordham, who finished with a NET in the 130s, had zero Q1 wins and 70% of their wins came against Q4 teams.  I do agree it would’ve been cool to see them in the NIT. 

Staying on topic, I hope no one transfers out of Fordham. Would love for them to build on this season’s success. 

13 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

help me out, what percentage of mid-major schools are still playing?

Let's see, there are 353 D1 basketball programs.  If the NCAA Tournament is the only one that means squat to a program, seems 285 teams are irrelevant programs, they missed the cut.  So SLU has a lot of company.  I say fire every single worthless coach from these 285 schools.

dennis_w likes this

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I get why people don’t like it but WVU did have a top ten SOS, won twelve Q1 and Q2 games, and had no bad losses (7-0 in Q3 and Q4). They had more Q1 and Q2 wins than over 43% of teams in the top 40 NET.

Fordham, who finished with a NET in the 130s, had zero Q1 wins and 70% of their wins came against Q4 teams.  I do agree it would’ve been cool to see them in the NIT. 

Staying on topic, I hope no one transfers out of Fordham. Would love for them to build on this season’s success. 

If they put together a schedule sure, if they continue with no one frick them 

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

But his salary does count. Unless you or someone ha 8 to 10 million for a buyout and new hire you have no choice . I have no idea what May really thinks about Ford but there is no way he will go to Fred and the Board saying I need 10 million to buyout someone I just extended. Travis is not going anywhere for at least the next year so why don’t we stop the bitcin$ and hope for the best. Who knows the 7+ kid from France may want to play for the bills. While I am as disappointed as everyone many of us old timers have lived thru a hell of a lot worse. 

5 minutes ago, willie said:

But his salary does count. Unless you or someone ha 8 to 10 million for a buyout and new hire you have no choice . I have no idea what May really thinks about Ford but there is no way he will go to Fred and the Board saying I need 10 million to buyout someone I just extended. Travis is not going anywhere for at least the next year so why don’t we stop the bitcin$ and hope for the best. Who knows the 7+ kid from France may want to play for the bills. While I am as disappointed as everyone many of us old timers have lived thru a hell of a lot worse. 

Must have overlooked this, sorry, there’s a 7 footer from France who may join in addition to the 7 footer from China signed?

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

my point was that the deck is so stacked it is nearly impossible to get ahead, with the big boys in conference wins are counted as good and losses are not as bad, fordham in conference losses are nearly always looked at as bad, i say again if the tournament is the only goal it is very difficult to get there if you are not a big boy

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

my point was that the deck is so stacked it is nearly impossible to get ahead, with the big boys in conference wins are counted as good and losses are not as bad, fordham in conference losses are nearly always looked at as bad, i say again if the tournament is the only goal it is very difficult to get there if you are not a big boy

I get what you’re saying. Unfortunately most schools don’t get to pick their conference. But If Fordham is truly serious about making the tournament (or at least being taken seriously), a good start would be to play less than 84% of your games against Q3 and Q4 opponents (a good amount of those in non-con). I understand conference games are out of their control and teams like Fordham don’t exactly get to pick and choose all of their non-con opponents, but you can’t look at their schedule and say with a straight face they even attempted to schedule games against decent (Q2) teams to boost their (slim) at-large chances. It could’ve at least given them a better shot at the NIT this year. There is a reason why SLU is 30+ spots ahead of Fordham in NET despite having 4 less wins.

The goal of every mid-major is to make the tournament. I’d say for 90%+ (including Fordham) the greatest odds of reaching that goal is via autobid. I’d put SLU in the <10% that have a legit at an at-large on an annual basis. 

I think Ford’s strategy this year of scheduling a tough non-con was the right one given the squad we thought we had. We just didn’t execute. 

12 hours ago, dennis_w said:

but apparently they win with a terrible coach with players that dont want to play for him, that is the narrative,  interesting line of thought

There needs to be context.  I believe SLU's resources far exceed their competitors in the A-10.  The facility is top notch and I believe is unmatched in the conference.  Then they've got the new athletics complex that is second to none.  This is a program that appears to be funding at a level that would be extremely competitive in the Big East.  However, the results don't show that.  SLU is not getting enough bang for their buck and that lies at Ford's feet.  Now if SLU didn't have the Chaifetz Arena and their spending was in line with the A-10, then I'm fine with the 20 wins and upper half finishes.  But that doesn't appear to be the case here.  I think the Billikens can do better.

Adman likes this

17 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

WVU beat at least 5 highly (ranked 1 to 15) ranked teams.  WVU had one of the five toughest schedules in college basketball.  

WVU deserves to go based on their record after playing an incredibly difficult schedule IMO.

The truth about you comes out. You're a Bob Huggins fan. Heretic.

Fordham, Duquesne and Mizzou all did what they had to do given their situations this year.  New coaches, new rosters, downtrodden programs.  Will we see that next year?  And if we do, will the usual naysayers come out and b*tch about the crappy schedule?  We had that with some this year that thought our schedule was weak as well.

And we face the same situation next year.  Especially in the light roster make up.  All I got is 'wait until next year' and I really don't know what that means.

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Fordham, Duquesne and Mizzou all did what they had to do given their situations this year.  New coaches, new rosters, downtrodden programs.  Will we see that next year?  And if we do, will the usual naysayers come out and b*tch about the crappy schedule?  We had that with some this year that thought our schedule was weak as well.

And we face the same situation next year.  Especially in the light roster make up.  All I got is 'wait until next year' and I really don't know what that means.

We will not be very good next year. Hopefully that will be Ford's last. There will be a million excuses about the roster and about incoming recruits. The reality is the guy just isn't special. 8 years in college basketball is a lifetime.

18 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

West Virginia only played three tough teams in its non-conference schedule (Pitt, Purdue, and Xavier).  They won 1 and lost 2.  Then they played conference games.  The Big 12 as a group, like all conferences, is statistically bound to go .500 as a conference in conference games.  Someone wins and someone loses every game.  WV went 7-11 in conference.  They lost their first five conference games.  At this point, no one was looking at them like a tournament team.  The rest of the way, in the 7 conference wins, they beat four ranked teams.  That's their resume.  That's it.  It wasn't as if they were dominating during this time.  After those first five losses they only went 7-6 the rest of the way.  They just happened to beat four ranked teams, because all they seemed to be playing were ranked teams.  You're going to get a few of those.

Every team is going to win some and lose some in their conference.  The problem for us is that when a team like WV inevitably wins a few games in conference, those wins are way, way overblown and the losses are way, way underconsidered.  Until this problems is solved by college basketball, teams like WV will continue to get into the tournament over lower conference teams.

ACE likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

To add to the above, give me West Virginia and Fordham in a game right now, and I will put money on Fordham.

70% of Fordham's wins were against Q4 teams. Q4!! 0 wins against Q1 teams (0-2) and just 2 against Q2 teams (2-1). Fordham played just 2 tournament teams this year: VCU and Arkansas. They lost by a combined 45 points in those games (26 to Arkansas and 19 to VCU). Fordham would not only lose to WVU 9.9/10 times but by double digits. 

But you did make some good points in the previous post....

20 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

WVU didn't deserve to go and proved it with yet another loss today.

Crazy how many times that WVU team has lost this year. They've really piled them up.