GDT: Richmond; What's a dog's favorite basketball player?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NYBilliken said:

Ouch. Wasted a great game by Perkins and Jimerson. When we had a chance to run up a lead, we let Richmond back into the game. Took seven-point lead back at 74-67, then fell apart on both ends of the court. Richmond didn't even play that well. We defeated ourselves.

i was most disappointed we didnt see the ball in perkins or jimerson's hands much in the last 6 minutes.   it was time for walk the ball down, dribble in circles and yuri try to drive if not throw to anyone not named gibson or javonte and pray for a miracle shot.  box score says yuri had a great game.   i say he lost the game for us.  sadly at about the 14 minute mark i was thinking this is yuri's best game.   he is playing point guard only, he is keeping the pace up, and we got a decent lead.   gradually it all went to hell and while yes, give richmond credit for capitalizing on our lazy defense, but collins then got more and more selfish every time down the floor.  you could just see it coming.

The thing about the perimeter defense.  Let's just say you gave up say 15 in a game you might talk about it and practice how to not give up 15 in the next game.  Or you could say F it and give up 17 the next game.

Perimeter defense is tough because sometimes guys just hit shots.

However the Billikens consistently give up big percentages beyond the arc, to the point of statistics reflecting this.

These Billikens have incredible shooting ability, good size and rebounding, but cannot defend worth a piss.

We got only one of majerus' keys down. We win vs bad teams, win at home, and lose vs good teams. Reflected in a crummy NET rating that accurately depicts SLU.

Jimerson has been on a total heater for a few weeks now and he had 15 points in the first half. And then he only got 4 shots in the 2nd half, one of which was a desperation 3 at the end. Teams adjust to take him away and our coach and best point guard in America just say okay

35 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Jimerson has been on a total heater for a few weeks now and he had 15 points in the first half. And then he only got 4 shots in the 2nd half, one of which was a desperation 3 at the end. Teams adjust to take him away and our coach and best point guard in America just say okay

thats because imo collins thinks he is capable of being jimerson as well as the best point guard.  he's not.   when he plays his position the billikens are much much better when he decides he is iverson or kyrie irving, he's a detriment to the team.   the problem is 2 out of 9 times he's successful with his wild drives and off balance mid range shots, so he keeps doing it and ford let's him.

MB73 likes this

56 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

“Well boys, they adjusted, so there’s simply nothing we can do!  Almost had ‘em!”  -Travis in timeouts, I’m pretty sure. 

Bizziken and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

thats because imo collins thinks he is capable of being jimerson as well as the best point guard.  he's not.   when he plays his position the billikens are much much better when he decides he is iverson or kyrie irving, he's a detriment to the team.   the problem is 2 out of 9 times he's successful with his wild drives and off balance mid range shots, so he keeps doing it and ford let's him.

am I going crazy? Yuri took ONE bad shot in the last five minutes. One. He took three total. Made one and missed a wide open eight foot fade, which the only negative you can say about that is it was too early in the shot clock. He's shooting like 80% on those this year

Like I know some don't like Yuri for some of his decision making earlier in the season, but pretending our O (and mainly Yuri like some are saying) lost this one is crazy. 

We scored 42 points in the second half and were outscored by 12. Anyone talking about the offense this morning already had their mind made up before actually watching the game and are using old talking points

Oh, and I know counting stats aren't everything, but Yuri's line last night:

9 points on 50% shooting, 2 rbs, 17 assists on 2 turnovers (That's 8.5 a/to), and 4 steals.

You could argue he was one of the main reasons we even had a chance... (along with Gib and Perk obv)

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

am I going crazy? Yuri took ONE bad shot in the last five minutes. One. He took three total. Made one and missed a wide open eight foot fade, which the only negative you can say about that is it was too early in the shot clock. He's shooting like 80% on those this year

Like I know some don't like Yuri for some of his decision making earlier in the season, but pretending our O (and mainly Yuri like some are saying) lost this one is crazy. 

We scored 42 points in the second half and were outscored by 12. Anyone talking about the offense already had their mind made up before actually watching the game

9 points on 50% shooting, 2 rbs, 17 assists on 2 turnovers (That's 8.5 a/to), and 4 steals.

You could argue he was one of the main reasons we even had a chance... (along with Gib and Perk obv)

I didnt think Yuri did anything wrong. I dont get the Yuri digs, at least for last nights game. 

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU played good defense in that possession, only to have Nelson bank home a desperation 3 at shot clock expiration at :25.  The musings of the hometown Richmond announcers notwithstanding, I'm confident Nelson did not call bank.

The last banked shot and the last rushed possession did not singlehandedly beat us.  Too many bad defensive sequences and too many undisciplined shots.  Should have had a double digit margin at the end.

Just now, wgstl said:

I didnt think Yuri did anything wrong. I dont get the Yuri digs, at least for last nights game. 

He wasn't great on D imo but he didn't get much of a break. LH wasn't great last night so couldn't really afford to give Yuri a rest. Last night was the first time I thought we missed Fred on O if only to give Yuri a rest. But then again I haven't seen that mentioned with the complaints

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

0 points for Okoro is ludicrous.

Problem was the bigs didn't produce anything. Okoro had adequate RBs and was a fouling machine with no points.

Fred Thatch was never going to be a point guard.  If you think so, just watch Perkins and Pickett.  Ford didn't get a backup point guard and never used the OOC to develop Hughes or Thames into anything serviceable at that position.  So that's on Ford.

We didn't need offense last night -- we had Perkins, Jimerson and Pickett in double figures.  These guys were scoring quite well until the end when it seems the point guard, who did indeed have a great game offenbsively to that point, seemed to decide, on hsi own or per the bench, to take it upon himself to score.  This is what I believe many talk about when they get on Collins for his actions.  Why did he, and does he, ignore the scorers when we get down into crunch time?  Why can't our $2.4 million  genius draw up a play to free up our two or three main three point threats to get a decent shot off?  He seems to do pretty well at inbounds layups and halftime final shots?  

It seems to me that the definitions are out there.  How many leads have we blown this year?  Yes, some we've won and others we've lost.  But we blow them all the same.  We don't seem to have any set plays to free our shooters up but rather rely n Collis to dribble around until he finds someone.  This gets amplified in the closing minutes because the pressure comes on and the shot clock is winding down.  A Forrester blown layup them turns into a five point swing.  Seems tome our point guard is the embodiment of the coach on the floor.  Either the coach is telling him to take over or he is doing it with ample permission.  And maybe, in his defense, he has to because the idiot on the bench doesn't seem to have anything to go to to employ the strengths of his shooters.  

This is one of the oldest, most veteran teams in the NCAA.  When Nelson missed his free throw, it should have been rote memory to come down, get into position, and run the three point shot play.  Instead, we are launching ill-advised shots from poor positions.  And even if we get a shot, it will be off a single pick meaning the hedge guy will be right there with us.  

Maddening.  Insanity.  Same ol', same ol'.

billiken_roy and TaLBErt like this

19 minutes ago, Soderball said:

0 points for Okoro is ludicrous.

Problem was the bigs didn't produce anything. Okoro had adequate RBs and was a fouling machine with no points.

Yes this was a problem.  Only 2 shots against for Okoro a soft big man?  Get him the ball!  And no blocks. 

Yes he got 14 rebounds, but a good number were totally uncontested. (Yes they all count the same.) Richmond didn't crash the boards on most plays.  The Spiders are last in the A10 in offensive rebounds.  And our guys, seeing it was uncontested, let Okoro gather it as he normally would have been closest to the ball. 

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

These guys were scoring quite well until the end when it seems the point guard, who did indeed have a great game offenbsively to that point, seemed to decide, on hsi own or per the bench, to take it upon himself to score.  This is what I believe many talk about when they get on Collins for his actions.  Why did he, and does he, ignore the scorers when we get down into crunch time?  Why can't our $2.4 million  genius draw up a play to free up our two or three main three point threats to get a decent shot off?  He seems to do pretty well at inbounds layups and halftime final shots?  

I give up

51 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

We scored 42 points in the second half and were outscored by 12. Anyone talking about the offense this morning already had their mind made up before actually watching the game and are using old talking points

yeah i am sure you yuri idolizers got it figured out.   however some of the unsuccessful trips arent about him shooting.   could be he hits the wall then instead of finding jimerson or a hot perkins he has to try to dump it off to okoro or pickett for a miss.   or maybe it becomes a turnover.   

but if you want to make it about pure shooting percentages i got it and apologize for not conforming to the black and white stats.   i perfer to look at the productive trip down the floor.   prior to the last half of the second half we saw a different yuri.   one that was leading the break, playing exclusively point guard.   getting the ball to hot jimerson and hot perkins.  then all at once they were both forgotten. 

personally I think yuri is a very very good point guard.   probably the second best in billiken history.   but when he decides he is done playing point guard for the night i cringe.   it's happened too often this year imo.    

Bizziken likes this