thetorch

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I don’t follow the Wizards day in and day out.  But I do check box scores every few days.  Is Goodwin hurt?  Or has he fallen out of favor?   Seems like his minutes just dropped to almost nothing.  I didn’t see any bad games.

Since Delon Wright came back JG has barely played.

I think that Goodwin may already have obtained most of what he could get out of the Wizards. He has played a number of NBA games, played well. This has allowed him to be in video and in full view of scouts and the management of other teams. I think it is time for him to start looking elsewhere or have his agent see if there is interest for what he has to offer elsewhere.

He's still 3rd on the PG depth chart and will continue to play when the other guards need a day off.  He isn't being dropped to the G League.

The Wizards will be making a ton of moves at and before the trade deadline that may clear out the logjam at wing and guard.  Goodwin will get his shot but it may be several weeks barring injuries until he is back playing regularly.  The Wizards need to showcase some pieces for trades and also better evaluate some pieces like Dotson who they may want to resign.  

The Wizards had a ton of injuries all year = more playing time for JGood.

They are healthy now = less playing time for JGood.

They have won 5 of their last 6 games with their newfound depth.... this is what is happening right now

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Trade deadline is Feb 9th. J Goodwin has also been in 28 games, at 50 games the Wizards have to sign him to a full time contract or trade him. Seems like decision points are getting closer.

Wizards don't have to trade JGood once he reaches the max games on his 2way contract. They can just send him to the G League the rest of the season. If they haven't moved a guaranteed contract player by the trade deadline this is likely what they will do as they will still hold team control of him next season (i.e. he does not become a free agent when the season ends).

21 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Trade deadline is Feb 9th. J Goodwin has also been in 28 games, at 50 games the Wizards have to sign him to a full time contract or trade him. Seems like decision points are getting closer.

I’ve seen people saying on Twitter that he doesn’t have to play in 50 games rather he has to be “active” for 50 games.  Teams can have 15 players on the roster plus 2 two-way players, but only 13 (I think) are active for a game.  No idea how many games he’s been active for, but it’s surely more than 28.

Big date for JGood is January 20th.  That’s when 2-way players contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season.  He’s not at risk of being released, but it’s still a big deal for him from a financial security perspective to have that money guaranteed.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I’ve seen people saying on Twitter that he doesn’t have to play in 50 games rather he has to be “active” for 50 games.  Teams can have 15 players on the roster plus 2 two-way players, but only 13 (I think) are active for a game.  No idea how many games he’s been active for, but it’s surely more than 28.

Big date for JGood is January 20th.  That’s when 2-way players contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season.  He’s not at risk of being released, but it’s still a big deal for him from a financial security perspective to have that money guaranteed.

Goodwin has been active for almost all games Wizards have played (38), so his count is probably at least 35. My guess is that, even if no major trades, Will Barton will be traded for a pick or released, Goodwin will be signed to two- or three-year contract, and another player will be signed to the two-way deal.

2 hours ago, NYBilliken said:

Goodwin has been active for almost all games Wizards have played (38), so his count is probably at least 35. My guess is that, even if no major trades, Will Barton will be traded for a pick or released, Goodwin will be signed to two- or three-year contract, and another player will be signed to the two-way deal.

I hope your guess is correct, would love to see Goodwin get a contract.

19 hours ago, NYBilliken said:

This is the kind of optimism I come to this board for....