Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I know others disagree but I'm of the opinion that a Deandre Jones player would suffice considering the rest of the talent on the roster. We need someone better but a player like that could still get us to the NCAA. If Fodd can land Jones when Yuri was still on the roster, I'm confident he can do it again. But I do agree with you that getting a player even a small notch below Yuri is going to be tough

i'd rather play thames at pg than jones.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I know others disagree but I'm of the opinion that a Deandre Jones player would suffice considering the rest of the talent on the roster. We need someone better but a player like that could still get us to the NCAA. If Fodd can land Jones when Yuri was still on the roster, I'm confident he can do it again. But I do agree with you that getting a player even a small notch below Yuri is going to be tough

I agree, Jones came to SLU with 500 assists.

First, we need a Point Guard who can organize the offense.  That isn't as easy as it sounds.  Organize the play with 25 seconds on the shot clock versus 5 seconds on the clock are two different items.

Second, we need a Point Guard that can defend.  Doesn't need to be All-D conference but has to be able to have good on-ball and off-ball skills.  Ford uses a lot of help defense, so he has to be able to handle that.

Third, we need a Point Guard that can score or at least is a threat to score.  Needs to be a threat from the arc and has to be able to run the pick and roll.  (Thames could be perfect in both aspects of the P and R.)

Fourth, we need a Point Guard that can bring the ball up against a press.  We don't face all that many full court - Havoc style - presses.  Token pressure, slowing the ball down moving up-court, is more typical of what we see.  

Last, we need a Point Guard who can register 3 to 6 assists per game.  Team assists can improve with certain players improving their passing game (Okoro).

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Some posters keep saying we are a top 25 team so why wouldn't someone want to come  - yes I have seen those predictions but when you read them they all talk about Yuri.  Now that Yuri is gone we aren't that team at least now.

Money would be one issue.  [Want to play on a Top 75 team for $$ or a Top 25 team for $.]

Andrew Carr (Delaware) is on campus today. Stretch forward, rapidly developing. Cancelled his Wichita State visit to come here. Davidson and Virginia Tech were thought to be the leaders, with VCU also in the mix. More of a 4 to line up with Okoro but could also play backup as a 5 when needed. Would give us some frontcourt versatility, even if we still need some depth there.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Are you saying Thames is ready to be the main pg?

every bit as much as the to be freshman point guard that was committed to Mi$$ouri from east st louis, Jones

Pinson is ranked 1 spot higher in available PGs in the portal than yuri. Not saying that ranking is everything, but at the very least they are close to each other talent wise. 

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Andrew Carr (Delaware) is on campus today. Stretch forward, rapidly developing. Cancelled his Wichita State visit to come here. Davidson and Virginia Tech were thought to be the leaders, with VCU also in the mix. More of a 4 to line up with Okoro but could also play backup as a 5 when needed. Would give us some frontcourt versatility, even if we still need some depth there.

Kid can play

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

every bit as much as the to be freshman point guard that was committed to Mi$$ouri from east st louis, Jones

That doesn't answer the question.  What you are saying that we have the best speed ice skater from Jamaica so we can be competitive in the Olympics.  

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Didn’t we recruit Hunter Jr. out of high school?

13 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Hunter was a HS sophomore during Calbert Cheaney's last season at SLU, so it's possible they were on him before Ford came in, but I don't see anyting on rivals or other sites.

I don't think so. Name doesn't ring a bell and he's not in any of my notes from the time. If we did, it was brief interest that escaped my attention - which is certainly possible.

46 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Some posters keep saying we are a top 25 team so why wouldn't someone want to come  - yes I have seen those predictions but when you read them they all talk about Yuri.  Now that Yuri is gone we aren't that team at least now.

As Rammer said yesterday on Frank's show, it's all about the $$$ now.  If you want to get a really good player out of the portal you are now needing NIL money.  This is sick.

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I miss the good old days of recruiting with hookers and blow.

That at least involved some strategy. Does he like blond hookers or brunettes?  Does he like them thick or thin? 

Anybody can throw a bag of cash at you I want my recruiters actually doing some work.

Back when the Pitino school of thought was universally accepted

With the number of guys returning to the school they originally left growing by the day...

Is there any shot Yuri actually returns? Actually sits down and talks with SLU staff about schedule/system/shining this year, Ford gets a few scouts to talk to Yuri about playing as 3rd option in a big school and being the man at a mid school, NIL money comes in and evens the playing field...

Am I crazy for not having given up yet?  Seems like if this was as more of a sure thing as we all originally thought, it would be done?

majerus mojo likes this

5 minutes ago, Bishop said:

With the number of guys returning to the school they originally left growing by the day...

Is there any shot Yuri actually returns? Actually sits down and talks with SLU staff about schedule/system/shining this year, Ford gets a few scouts to talk to Yuri about playing as 3rd option in a big school and being the man at a mid school, NIL money comes in and evens the playing field...

Am I crazy for not having given up yet?  Seems like if this was as more of a sure thing as we all originally thought, it would be done?

D50517C3-1B26-439B-8C49-4C65D9BE41C6.gif