Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

12 minutes ago, Bishop said:

With the number of guys returning to the school they originally left growing by the day...

1. Is there any shot Yuri actually returns? 

2. Am I crazy for not having given up yet? 

3. Seems like if this was as more of a sure thing as we all originally thought, it would be done?

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. His departure is a sure thing. His destination is not.

Old guy likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Some posters keep saying we are a top 25 team so why wouldn't someone want to come  - yes I have seen those predictions but when you read them they all talk about Yuri.  Now that Yuri is gone we aren't that team at least now.

Im not sure anyone is saying that today, we're a T25 team.  What people keep saying is with the pieces we have and the amount of scholarships we possess, we're not far from getting that T25 look again. We don't have to get a yuri type or better, we can get a really good stretch 4 or back up big, and a very capable PG or 2 and be right where we were before Yuri left - potentially better depending on who the starting PG is. 

slufanskip likes this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. His departure is a sure thing. His destination is not.

any reason you seem so certain?

While I would in no way bet any amount of money on Yuri returning, I wouldnt say its 0%

31 minutes ago, Bishop said:

With the number of guys returning to the school they originally left growing by the day...

Is there any shot Yuri actually returns? Actually sits down and talks with SLU staff about schedule/system/shining this year, Ford gets a few scouts to talk to Yuri about playing as 3rd option in a big school and being the man at a mid school, NIL money comes in and evens the playing field...

Am I crazy for not having given up yet?  Seems like if this was as more of a sure thing as we all originally thought, it would be done?

Several people who are usually in the know have definitively said he's gone. He informed the coaching staff by text message after reassuring them that he was returning for several weeks. Javonte and Gibson (his roommate) have both unfollowed him on Twitter. Best to just move on at this point.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

any reason you seem so certain?

While I would in no way bet any amount of money on Yuri returning, I wouldnt say its 0%

Because name 1 player that returned after entering portal?  This isn't due to a coaching change and he entered while  SLU found a new coach then new coach tries to bring him back.

Also think about team dynamics.  A basketball team is 13 guys plus coaches that is a small element.  Unhappiness by influential players or hard feelings will ruin a small unit.  If a walk on isn't happy and has limited influence you'll probably survive if you have good culture.  If your team leader, starring PG isn't happy with the coaches, the other players aren't happy with him that spells disaster.  He can't come back now if he did the team will mentally break down.

Trust me on this I'm well versed in small teams of young men in pressure situations.   There is a balancing act to keep the chemistry right.  Perhaps Yuri leaving can galvanize the remaining players into an US vs errybody mentality.  Do that and push the right buttons over the season we may get the success we want. 

Carr is a guy I really want.  He grew almost ten inches in high school.  He had to adjust to being a much taller player and then worked hard to develop his perimeter shot after getting to college.  He is a hard worker that not only can hit from the outside, but has the kind of foot work you want from an interior threat big man. While not a Rob Loe level passing big man at this point, he is better at finding an open man out of the post than any big we had on the roster last season. He is the kind of big we haven't had in some years and would be a nice complement to play along side Okoro.  Let's get Carr locked up during this trip.

Bizziken, Bilzz and A10Ref like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Andrew Carr (Delaware) is on campus today. Stretch forward, rapidly developing. Cancelled his Wichita State visit to come here. Davidson and Virginia Tech were thought to be the leaders, with VCU also in the mix. More of a 4 to line up with Okoro but could also play backup as a 5 when needed. Would give us some frontcourt versatility, even if we still need some depth there.

This is the kind of player who fits the profile of the type of big we need - a guy who can play the 5, but also has the stretch ability to play alongside Okoro. There's definitely 20-22 mpg for a player like this. Sight unseen, but based on his numbers, this kid looks like he could be an upgrade over Linnsen.

Bizziken likes this

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Because name 1 player that returned after entering portal?  This isn't due to a coaching change and he entered while  SLU found a new coach then new coach tries to bring him back.

Also think about team dynamics.  A basketball team is 13 guys plus coaches that is a small element.  Unhappiness by influential players or hard feelings will ruin a small unit.  If a walk on isn't happy and has limited influence you'll probably survive if you have good culture.  If your team leader, starring PG isn't happy with the coaches, the other players aren't happy with him that spells disaster.  He can't come back now if he did the team will mentally break down.

Trust me on this I'm well versed in small teams of young men in pressure situations.   There is a balancing act to keep the chemistry right.  Perhaps Yuri leaving can galvanize the remaining players into an US vs errybody mentality.  Do that and push the right buttons over the season we may get the success we want. 

- if you see Jon Rothstein's tweets, there's a few players who return to that school.  He typically tweets something about how that player is returning and makes it a big deal - not talking nba evaluation.

As pissed as everyone is , and rightfully so, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money if Yuri walked in and apologized, everyone would take him back with open arms. To our knowledge he never made any personal attacks on players or staff- or punched anyone in the face.

Like I said before, I strongly doubt he comes back for numerous reasons. I'm not sure I'm at the no chance or 0% just yet, although I'm not far. 

From what I can tell, Andrew Carr is essentially what this board has been dreaming about. A real stretch big. Looks like a 4 most of the season, then played the majority of the minutes in their last 5 games at the 5.

Has anyone actually seen him play? Other than quick highlights MMP tweeted. Any other insights?

Bilzz likes this

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

From what I can tell, Andrew Carr is essentially what this board has been dreaming about. A real stretch big. Looks like a 4 most of the season, then played the majority of the minutes in their last 5 games at the 5.

He can pass it well too. 

And ya he played the 4, he's not just some center who you can throw out there to play the 4 at times. 

had 6 assists in a game against JMU, and then 5 against W&M

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

That doesn't answer the question.  What you are saying that we have the best speed ice skater from Jamaica so we can be competitive in the Olympics.  

im saying i dont want to waste a roster spot on the east st louis incoming freshman as we already have the equal if not better freshman to be point guard.

Thank you everyone for for passing along any updates.

One thing for sure has been an interesting Spring , good and not so.

I am hopeful we can land Carr , a stretch 4 intrigues me.  

One big question , Can he dunk?

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im saying i dont want to waste a roster spot on the east st louis incoming freshman as we already have the equal if not better freshman to be point guard.

Once you get to roster spots 11-13, they'll all be pretty similar in talent level.  And in reality they're not playing unless someone gets hurt. 

Would you rather have a one trick pony like Lorentsson or a Swiss army knife like Christian Jones riding your bench?  Because it will be a choice like that.  You're not going to have guys capable of starting for your competitors filling out the last of your roster spots.

Jay Blossom took the Principia HC job. He knows Tyler Coleman from his Webster Groves days.

I don't think being an assistant coach at a small HS program prohibits Coleman from doing the other things he does, like Elite Amateur Sports. It's a part time job that can't pay much. It's not like a college assistant job. "Scouting Analyst at Elite Am Sports" is still the first thing he lists on his Twitter bio. Principia is second.

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

- if you see Jon Rothstein's tweets, there's a few players who return to that school.  He typically tweets something about how that player is returning and makes it a big deal - not talking nba evaluation.

As pissed as everyone is , and rightfully so, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money if Yuri walked in and apologized, everyone would take him back with open arms. To our knowledge he never made any personal attacks on players or staff- or punched anyone in the face.

Like I said before, I strongly doubt he comes back for numerous reasons. I'm not sure I'm at the no chance or 0% just yet, although I'm not far. 

He’s gone and is not coming back.  As soon as he entered the portal it was over.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jay Blossom took the Principia HC job. He knows Tyler Coleman from his Webster Groves days.

I don't think being an assistant coach at a small HS program prohibits Coleman from doing the other things he does, like Elite Amateur Sports. It's a part time job that can't pay much. It's not like a college assistant job. "Scouting Analyst at Elite Am Sports" is still the first thing he lists on his Twitter bio. Principia is second.

depends on how serious Jay is about the principia job.  At Webster, no chance an assistant would really have time even if they were allowed(?) in the later years of Jays tenure with the national scheduling.  

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Once you get to roster spots 11-13, they're all going to be pretty similar in talent level.  And in reality they're not going to play unless someone gets hurt. 

Would you rather have a one trick pony like Lorentsson or a Swiss army knife like Christian Jones riding your bench?  Because it's going to be a choice like that.  You're not going to have guys capable of starting for your competitors filling out the last of your roster spots.

Not that it matters, because as you said at the end end of the bench you're not going to play anyway, but since you asked, I'd actually take Lorentsson over Jones.

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

depends on how serious Jay is about the principia job.  At Webster, no chance an assistant would really have time even if they were allowed(?) in the later years of Jays tenure with the national scheduling.  

I don't know how familiar you are at the talent level at Principia, but they certainly won't be playing a national schedule.

Fun fact - I had a very inefficient 11 & 4 @ Principia in 2011