Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

The  greatest act of self destructive stupidity committed in the XVIII century was the French help provided to the American colonies during the revolutionary war. We could not have defeated the Brits without them; however, this "infected" France, and the French Army, with independence and democratic ideals which were not possible to eliminate. Louis XVI, known as a pleasant fellow but no intellectual genius, just did not see it coming, and the "let them eat cake" quote from Marie Antoinette sealed the deal. A whole generation of ingrown noble parasites paid for this mistake literally with their heads. The Marsellaise is a hymn to freedom and independence that marked the bloody passage into a new world. Culturally and historically France, and the Western world, were never the same after this.

A similar situation occurred in 1905 when, in the midst of winter with a horrible depression and widespread starvation, and with the background of a failed war with Japan (a massive military upset, no one expected Japan to win), Russian workers staged a massive march, lead by their priests, to the winter palace to ask the Tsar ("our little father") for food to feed their families. They were met by masses of cossack cavalry which slaughtered them instead. The idea of a benevolent father (the Tsar) surrounded by crooked politicians died that night and made the 1917 revolution inevitable. Nicholas II was a pleasant but ineffective person married to a high strung woman who believed the crooked politicians (Rasputin). Of course, the royal family was slaughtered and Russia was never the same after that.

The same thing can be said about British troops massacring a mass of populace in Srinagar, Kashmir, prior to WWII. Unarmed women, children, old folks, and adults were attending a peaceful pro Ghandi meeting when they were indiscriminately killed by charging British Gurkha troops. The orders came from an arrogant British general who believed in British supremacy and thought a good Indian was a dead Indian, particularly if they supported Ghandi. This single act made the independence of India an inevitable event.

History is important in many ways.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The  greatest act of self destructive stupidity committed in the XVIII century was the French help provided to the American colonies during the revolutionary war. We could not have defeated the Brits without them; however, this "infected" France, and the French Army, with independence and democratic ideals which were not possible to eliminate. Louis XVI, known as a pleasant fellow but no intellectual genius, just did not see it coming, and the "let them eat cake" quote from Marie Antoinette sealed the deal. A whole generation of ingrown noble parasites paid for this mistake literally with their heads. The Marsellaise is a hymn to freedom and independence that marked the bloody passage into a new world. Culturally and historically France, and the Western world, was never the same after this.

A similar situation occurred in 1905 when, in the midst of winter with a horrible depression and widespread starvation, and with the background of a failed war with Japan (a massive military upset, no one expected Japan to win), Russian workers staged a massive march, lead by their priests, to the winter palace to ask the Tsar ("our little father") for food to feed their families. They were met by masses of cossack cavlary which slaughtered them instead. The idea of a benevolent father (the Tsar) surrounded by crooked politicians died that night and made the 1917 revolution inevitable. Nicholas II was a pleasant but ineffective person married to a high strung woman who believed the crooked politicians (Rasputin). Of course, the royal family was slaughtered and Russia was never the same after that.

The same thing can be said about British troops massacring a mass of populace in Srinagar, Kashmir, prior to WWII. Unarmed women, children, old folks, and adults were attending a peaceful pro Ghandi meeting when they were indiscriminately killed by charging British Gurkha troops. The orders came from an arrogant British general who believed in British supremacy and thought a good Indian was a dead Indian, particularly if they supported Ghandi. This single act made the independence of India an inevitable event.

History is important in many ways.

Nice change to see something of unexpected depth.

29 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Umm, this could be significant news and very relevant to SLU. It likely deserves to be moved to the Yuri thread.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  I don't really think it's going to affect Collins for a handful of reasons.  Bottom line, I feel fairly confident Tennessee was planning on taking and landing both Key and Collins and that Collins knew this.  BUT, it's possible that's not true and I'm wrong.  However, even if Collins reverses course and goes elsewhere, there's a very good chance the bridge with SLU has been burned (as several other people on here have surmised).  Anything is possible, but I would say it's more likely than not he's still heading to Tennessee.  And if he's not going to Tennessee, I would say it's more likely than not he would wind up somewhere other than SLU.  But all we can do is wait and find out.

5 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Umm, this could be significant news and very relevant to SLU. It likely deserves to be moved to the Yuri thread.

The Tennessee board has been talking about Key before they were talking about Yuri. They’ll be playing alongside one another, won’t impact him going there

32 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The Tennessee board has been talking about Key before they were talking about Yuri. They’ll be playing alongside one another, won’t impact him going there

Yes they plan to get both and have felt like they're the leader for both for a few weeks. That being said, Yuri seems to be moving slowly with his decision. I don't think SLU is a factor at all but he may overplay his hand if he doesn't make a move soon

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Yes they plan to get both and have felt like they're the leader for both for a few weeks. That being said, Yuri seems to be moving slowly with his decision. I don't think SLU is a factor at all but he may overplay his hand if he doesn't make a move soon

This is starting to look like a replay of Willie Reed's drama in the NBA. An inflated idea of his self worth, looking for too much, and winding up in foreign leagues.

12 hours ago, Eadsbee said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  I don't really think it's going to affect Collins for a handful of reasons.  Bottom line, I feel fairly confident Tennessee was planning on taking and landing both Key and Collins and that Collins knew this.  BUT, it's possible that's not true and I'm wrong.  However, even if Collins reverses course and goes elsewhere, there's a very good chance the bridge with SLU has been burned (as several other people on here have surmised).  Anything is possible, but I would say it's more likely than not he's still heading to Tennessee.  And if he's not going to Tennessee, I would say it's more likely than not he would wind up somewhere other than SLU.  But all we can do is wait and find out.

Happy to be wrong!!!!!! (To be fair to myself, not sure if the Key commitment was part of it.  Hard to say.  Not sure we'll get the full story, but as a curious fan, I hope the story comes out.  At any rate, I was definitely wrong about the bridge being burned.)

Bilzz likes this

On 4/22/2022 at 1:58 PM, Bills By 40 said:

There is not a single player in the country who is in the conversation of being as good at any type of passing as Yuri. 

That’s why we’ve gotta find one. There aren’t many in the whole country, so oughta be hard, but I will echo others and say that there can’t be a much more attractive destination right now with all things considered. 

If we land Carr our PG will follow. Even if we don’t I bet we see one real soon. 

Corrected this for you

More updates on names the coaches were tracking:

-Patrick Cartier (Hillsdale) - Committed to Colorado State.
-David Skogman (Buffalo) - Committed to Davidson.
-Trendon Hankerson (NIU) - Committed to Akron.
-Tyler Beard (Georgetown) - Committed to Pacific.
-Juwan Gary (Alabama) - Committed to Nebraska.
-Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (Tennessee) - Committed to Louisville.
-Kyrell Luc (Holy Cross) - Visited St. Bonaventure and UIC.
-Brevin Galloway (BC) - Down to Clemson and South Carolina.
-Dexter Dennis (Wichita State) - Announcing top 5 soon.

Compton likes this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

More updates on names the coaches were tracking:

-Patrick Cartier (Hillsdale) - Committed to Colorado State.
-David Skogman (Buffalo) - Committed to Davidson.
-Trendon Hankerson (NIU) - Committed to Akron.
-Tyler Beard (Georgetown) - Committed to Pacific.
-Juwan Gary (Alabama) - Committed to Nebraska.
-Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (Tennessee) - Committed to Louisville.
-Kyrell Luc (Holy Cross) - Visited St. Bonaventure and UIC.
-Brevin Galloway (BC) - Down to Clemson and South Carolina.
-Dexter Dennis (Wichita State) - Announcing top 5 soon.

Can't help but wonder whether, as the number of transfers balloons, the proportion that end up at a higher level program decreases. This small sample size looks like a lot of reshuffling the deck chairs - P6 guys going P6, mid-major guys going mid-major, etc... (except for DII and JuCo examples, where any move DI program is upward).