GDT: vs Boston College

I’m back fellas!  Great win! Yurimania!  Don’t stress too much about the end of the game, coach on radio said he told the guys if yuri threw it to them to fire it up (more assists), but caused the closer game.  Okora looked good, I was impressed the most with the blocks.  Bad news is we have auburn up next who has same if not more talent than Memphis and much better coached.  Ford better start cooking now with that chalkboard.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, CBFan said:

They scored more points in the second half than the first, that did not happen the last 2 losses.

This was a great win and the wife and I are celebrating in the local bar and grill.

Yuri was not the only player to play well.

While true, still can’t be giving up 50 points in a half. Period. 

also I don’t want to take a away an historic night from yuri. GJ was GJ, amazing.  And okoro had his best game yet. Not trying to take away from them. 

Notes from the game:

Much better effort and energy from the entire team tonight. It was noticeable.

Okoro played without tentativeness tonight. Twice he went right up with a shot upon receiving the ball in the post with his back to the basket. One was a fadeaway to beat the shot clock, and one was a hook bank shot. He made both.

Yuri was under control all night and only turned the ball over twice. Both times feeding the post. I will live with that any day. His transition defense was as remarkable as his school record in assists.

When we take what the defense gives us, we make shots. It's nice to win that last game before finals. Let's keep the momentum going next week.

Yes BC had a better 2nd half but they only won the half by 6  and they lost the 1st half by 17 I think.  With 5 minutes or so left I think we were still up by 16.  Yes BC scored more but we pretty much stayed up with them so it is not like they blew us out of the building.  I think anybody upset about the 2nd half needs to step back and take a deep breath.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know if this was noted already, Yuri switched up from a headband to a tie back. I hope someone hides or burns that headband. No going back at this point.

Yuri constantly messed with his head band and the head band would come off sometimes.

The wife and I thought that the head band messed with Yuri’s concentration so we liked the Yuri pulled back hair look.

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Yuri constantly messed with his head band and the head band would come off sometimes.

The wife and I thought that the head band messed with Yuri’s concentration so we liked the Yuri pulled back hair look.

Wow. I meant it just from a luck stand point. But you are right, he does mess with it a lot and it falls off at least once per game.

Missed the game but watched the first half replay and the highlights. It looks to me like Franco is gaining confidence in his offense and is on his way to reaching his potential. Once he figures out how to get out of his own way and let his talent out, he can be an All-Conference player. 

Yuri was fabulous, just no other way to put it. Some soul-searching, film study, and the team meeting definitely worked. Question is, was last night a one-game wonder for the team or the start of long-term success? If we can stay competitive with Auburn and take down Drake as we should, I think it’s the latter.

Look, it was a win we needed no doubt about it and Yuri performed amazingly.  But it WAS Boston College, a team lower than us in experience, with a new coach, at home, with a limited bench, lower rating, lower NET, yada, yada.  This was not a team as seasoned as either Belmont or even UAB, although UAB was mostly transfers.  Jimerson made shots.  Okoro made shots.  Yuri got assists.  It's definitely a good sign going forward but now here comes a real team ---- Top 25 Auburn.  Then a veteran Drake team.  So I'll take it but I'm not proclaiming that all is well.  All is much better than it was for sure.

The best thing is it's a win before finals and a win before our biggest opponent to date.  There is one less thing to worry about --- a losing streak --- as we head into finals and game prep for Auburn.  Don't discount that.  The one thing I will take away is how we seem to really lose our edge when it becomes walk-the-ball up time.  Nesbitt is the only guy who can go one on one in the hero ball routine with the shot clock winding down.  And he's a freshman still looking to find himself.  As we slow the ball down to kill clock, hero ball comes into play.  We are at our best when Yuri continues to push it and finds open Jimersons, Okoros and Hargroves out there.  We were up 23 and dropped to 8.  That's kind of like both Belmont and UAB.  It didn't bite us this time but the pattern remains.  I hope, if nothing else, we can look back at this wins and say we found something to change at the end of games --- the slow down.  It's a fine line --- keeping the lead and the momentum.  We are truly a team that needs all our individuals meshing as one.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Look, it was a win we needed no doubt about it and Yuri performed amazingly.  But it WAS Boston College, a team lower than us in experience, with a new coach, at home, with a limited bench, lower rating, lower NET, yada, yada.  This was not a team as seasoned as either Belmont or even UAB, although UAB was mostly transfers.  Jimerson made shots.  Okoro made shots.  Yuri got assists.  It's definitely a good sign going forward but now here comes a real team ---- Top 25 Auburn.  Then a veteran Drake team.  So I'll take it but I'm not proclaiming that all is well.  All is much better than it was for sure.

The best thing is it's a win before finals and a win before our biggest opponent to date.  There is one less thing to worry about --- a losing streak --- as we head into finals and game prep for Auburn.  Don't discount that.  The one thing I will take away is how we seem to really lose our edge when it becomes walk-the-ball up time.  Nesbitt is the only guy who can go one on one in the hero ball routine with the shot clock winding down.  And he's a freshman still looking to find himself.  As we slow the ball down to kill clock, hero ball comes into play.  We are at our best when Yuri continues to push it and finds open Jimersons, Okoros and Hargroves out there.  We were up 23 and dropped to 8.  That's kind of like both Belmont and UAB.  It didn't bite us this time but the pattern remains.  I hope, if nothing else, we can look back at this wins and say we found something to change at the end of games --- the slow down.  It's a fine line --- keeping the lead and the momentum.  We are truly a team that needs all our individuals meshing as one.

I am not a fan of our walk it up run time off the clock strategy but if we continue to play fast and take quick shots early in the shot clock and not score then people complain and say why don't they work the clock with a 23 point lead.  The problem is that we simply are not a half court offensive team without  Perkins - Jimmerson tries that little curl shot that Perkins is so deadly on but he is not very effective with it unless he is facing the basket without jumping up on the move.  Without Perkins we really should not be playing a half court offense unless we have too.  The team's defense suffers when this happens also.  At some point this team needs to run to keep their intensity high and we as fans have to just accept that they will take quick shots and sometimes turn the ball over with unforced mistakes.  We can not have it both ways.

bauman and Fraz like this

32 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Quote of the day from Yuri in the Post:

“I talked to the coaches, and one thing we emphasized was pushing the pace,” he said. “That’s how I like to play. I’m more effective that way, and that’s what we did. We got a lot of open shots.”

Well, if Travis leaves, I nominate Billiken Roy for HC. He’s been screaming this for 3 years. Push the ball! Speed it up! Use our athleticism! Fast break the fouck out of them! 

Reinert310 and Fraz like this