Other College Basketball Games 2021-22

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Too light of a punishment. Any other adult and they lose their job. Had the wisconsin coach slapped Howard would he have gotten off so light? Highly doubt it

Ever heard of a bank too big to fail? Juwan Howard has helped to create so much capital for the UM that he literally had enough goodwill in the account to finagle his way out of the worst possible punishment. And I think that is what Stephen A Smith was talking about today as well. Even though Woody Hayes crossed the line, Woody was on his way out and a generation behind. Firing Howard would set the Wolverines program back ten, maybe fifteen years. 

It is what it is, folks. UM could have sent a message, but Juwan Howard has given so much to that school as a player, alum and now coach that his own personal investment in the program merited just a proverbial slap on the wrist. 

I think you could easily argue the position that both sides here have put too much in to just throw it all away. On the flip side, he does have at least two major strikes on the sideline and I’m sure the AD and Mary Sue Coleman will be watching him with an eagle eye moving forward. 

billiken_roy likes this

12 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Too light of a punishment. Any other adult and they lose their job. Had the wisconsin coach slapped Howard would he have gotten off so light? Highly doubt it

I don’t know.  My first reaction was he needs be fired, but I have come off that stance.  I think we as society have reached a point where we want fire and cancel everyone when that shouldn’t be the case.  I think it is fueled by social media where the most hardcore stances get the most interaction and are constantly echoed.  The first hot takes of a few individuals have now become the accepted belief and the accepted way we operate as a society.

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t know.  My first reaction was he needs be fired, but I have come off that stance.  I think we as society have reached a point where we want fire and cancel everyone when that shouldn’t be the case.  I think it is fueled by social media where the most hardcore stances get the most interaction and are constantly echoed.  The first hot takes of a few individuals have now become the accepted belief and the accepted way we operate as a society.

Talk about cancel culture all you want but the dude literally slapped another grown man. It's not like he made an insensitive remark or a crude joke. Society has nothing to do with this. He's supposed to be leader of young men? Come on. Any other job in any industry and there's zero tolerance. Maybe even the authorities are involved. 5 games is nothing. Should have been rest of season or fired. 

Standards in life should be consistent for everyone Michigan has in my opinion has different standards for their sports program which is not a surprise.

Howard should have been fired.  I am not of the cancel culture person that feels people should be fired because of what they say, Howard assaulted another coach.  Howard put his hands on someone and that is against the law.

I was a Howard fan I watched him play as part of the fab 5 for Michigan and the NBA.  I never realized he had an anger control problem.

I am concerned we will see more of this in college basketball since the slap on the wrist.

None of us should not be surprised if a player hits another player now.  The NCAA better not do anything if the NCAA does nothing to Howard.  I do want to hear about a kid being kicked out of school for this since Michigan and the NCAA set the standards.

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting that discussions have yet to break down along racial lines (which I believe have nothing to do with this).  But the reality is there.

Has nothing to do with it yet there would be calls for the assistant coach's head if he had hit Howard. Unfortunate reality and shouldn't be a factor yet that is the world we live in now. 

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Standards in life should be consistent for everyone Michigan has in my opinion has different standards for their sports program which is not a surprise.

Howard should have been fired.  I am not of the cancel culture person that feels people should be fired because of what they say, Howard assaulted another coach.  Howard put his hands on someone and that is against the law.

I was a Howard fan I watched him play as part of the fab 5 for Michigan and the NBA.  I never realized he had an anger control problem.

I am concerned we will see more of this in college basketball since the slap on the wrist.

None of us should not be surprised if a player hits another player now.  The NCAA better not do anything if the NCAA does nothing to Howard.  I do want to hear about a kid being kicked out of school for this since Michigan and the NCAA set the standards.

I found it totally not shocking that even the UM AD wanted limited culpability - letting the Big Ten be Pontius Pilate in this scenario; he knows that the mob mentality wouldn’t be able to go from Ann Arbor to Chicago to standout with their pitchforks so he initially put the onus on the conference. Deflection was a smart move by him.

However, you’re absolutely right that this has set a disturbing precedent. There will be players that try to test the limit of what they can get away with before the hammer falls.

In the 80's John Cheney tried to choke out the GW coach.  In the 90's Cheney interrupted Calipari's press conference, charged after him and threatened to kill him.  He didn't get fired.  Just five years ago we had assistant coaches at Mizzou and UGA pushing, grabbing and poking each other in the face at half-time.  They didn't get fired.  I don't think what Howard did deserves a termination.  I don't think he was trying to punch or slap the coach.  I think he was trying to grab him.  I do think he probably should have been suspended  throughout the rest of this season and post-season.  

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://twitter.com/IlliniNewsTweet/status/1495512659135025154

For the uninitiated, that’s satire. Most who hail from Illinois will understand.

Adding insult to injury that Lou Henson let him get away… sweet Lou didn’t have much after that 88-89 squad. That was right about the time Howard and his Vocational team hit the market. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

There are way more fights on the court than there used to be years ago.  Coaches are supposed to be the cool headed ones that head off these incidents.  Conferences and schools rely on the coaches to be the calming influence on the players to avoid such fights on the court.  When a coach is the one that starts throwing the punches, that's a serious red flag that has to be addressed.

Now that he has been given a slap on the wrist, albeit a pretty hard one, what happens the next time a Michigan player gets really pissed off at an opponent on the court and wants to hit him.  Will he think, "better not do that or my coach will be mad at me," or does he think "hell coach don't put up with no sh*t, why should I."  That's the dangerous message that Howard just sent.  It is also why Dayton's Grant should have been suspended at least one game for running all the way across the court acting like he wanted to fight a fan.

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

There are way more fights on the court than there used to be years ago.  Coaches are supposed to be the cool headed ones that head off these incidents.  Conferences and schools rely on the coaches to be the calming influence on the players to avoid such fights on the court.  When a coach is the one that starts throwing the punches, that's a serious red flag that has to be addressed.

Now that he has been given a slap on the wrist, albeit a pretty hard one, what happens the next time a Michigan player gets really pissed off at an opponent on the court and wants to hit him.  Will he think, "better not do that or my coach will be mad at me," or does he think "hell coach don't put up with no sh*t, why should I."  That's the dangerous message that Howard just sent.  It is also why Dayton's Grant should have been suspended at least one game for running all the way across the court acting like he wanted to fight a fan.

-really?

Bizziken likes this

Howard got a largely ceremonial slap on the wrist.  The guy is a former NBA player.  His "fine" would be like charging us a Benjamin. His suspension is all of 5 regular season games, 4 at home.  Michigan and the B1G want that NCAA Unit ($$$).  

A classic is how the B1G drug Gard into it, a Solomon splitting of the baby, make up call.  I highly doubt Gard gets fined absent Howard's antics.

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

5 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-really?

That's categorically false if you're looking at the pros. The NBA and ABA were way wilder back in the day. It's not even close, especially post-Malice in the Palace.

Seems harder to verify for college but I also find that really hard to believe. Seems like recency bias.

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

That's categorically false if you're looking at the pros. The NBA and ABA were way wilder back in the day. It's not even close, especially post-Malice in the Palace.

Seems harder to verify for college but I also find that really hard to believe. Seems like recency bias.

There are no statistics for how many bench clearing incidents there were in basketball in a particular decade.  I am only basing my statement on having watched basketball since the 1980s.  It seems to me that there are way more incidents where teams have to be separated in the past several years than there used to be.  I know there are isolated incidents, especially in the NBA, that we are all aware of, but those seemed to be the exception back then. Now, pushing and shoving and teams having to be separated seems to be much more prevalent.   Also, to be clear, I was talking about the college game.

These incidents are extremely rare in college basketball.

For SLU i remember recently Gordon got into it with a player in the handshake line.

Unfortunately SLU players fight each other more than the other team. The only brawl I can remember was at halftime against DePaul in Claggs Jr or Sr season. Punches were thrown but no one was removed from the game or even Teed up.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, BigMouthBilliken said:

He's supposed to be leader of young men? Come on. Any other job in any industry and there's zero tolerance. 

This shouldn't be compared to most jobs. Lets not compare college coaches to bank tellers. 

Michigan is/was a bubble team, and the HC got suspended the rest of the way. This is pretty fair.  Especially if Michigan doesn't make it, now he's especially in more trouble. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

This shouldn't be compared to most jobs. Lets not compare college coaches to bank tellers. 

Michigan is/was a bubble team, and the HC got suspended the rest of the way. This is pretty fair.  Especially if Michigan doesn't make it, now he's especially in more trouble. 

No a college head coach has more responsibility then a bank teller.  The bank teller is suppose to have others at the bank to keep them in check a coach not so much