Other College Basketball Games 2021-22

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Is this legal?

There's no rule that prevents a conference from doing it.

As @FromDaEastSide says, Stony Brook is banned from conference tournaments by the America East for the remainder of their time there before moving to the Colonial - a conference which did the same thing to James Madison after announcing their upcoming departure to the Sun Belt.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As @FromDaEastSide says, Stony Brook is banned from conference tournaments by the America East for the remainder of their time there before moving to the Colonial - a conference which did the same thing to James Madison after announcing their upcoming departure to the Sun Belt.

I hate that this happens, but there are many examples. It only hurts student-athletes and is little more than a F you to the leaving school. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As stated on the next page, Stony Brook is banned from conference tournaments by the America East for the remainder of their time there before moving to the Colonial - a conference which did the same thing to James Madison after announcing their upcoming departure to the Sun Belt.

Now I understand why I am seeing UIC so much lately. Do they have a decent basketball history? $20M athletics budget. If they become an MVC power, it could really take away from Loyola and DePaul.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So far this has been kept to programs that would have a minuscule chance of winning a game in the NCAA Tournament if the won their conference tournament.  You don't see teams like BYU, UAB, North Texas, Liberty, Loyola, Belmont and Murray State getting barred from conference tournaments.  That is because those teams if they have to win the conference tournament to get in, would have a punchers chance or better to win a game in the tournament.  A win that would mean another NCAA tournament credit left behind for their former conference.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As stated on the next page, Stony Brook is banned from conference tournaments by the America East for the remainder of their time there before moving to the Colonial - a conference which did the same thing to James Madison after announcing their upcoming departure to the Sun Belt.

I have wondered how the NCAA decides how many of these Licenses (automatic qualifiers) they give out? Because, some smart institutions might realize that it would be better to be in a small conference with only 7 teams to compete against, as compared to the 14 team A10 (This is assuming that the AQ is given out yearly on a somewhat random basis, like a tournament). If they broke away, would they get a new license?

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Now I understand why I am seeing UIC so much lately. Do they have a decent basketball history? $20M athletics budget. If they become an MVC power, it could really take away from Loyola and DePaul.

UIC does not have a decent basketball history. They have won their conference and their conference tournament twice since becoming DI in 1981. UIC didn't earn their promotion to the MVC on merit. It's simply based on the MVC wanting to maintain a presents in Chicago. DePaul's popularity is only threatened by its own incompetence.

AGB91 and AnkielBreakers like this

I think this is the full list of pending conference moves as of today (2/9/2022):

A10: Adding 1 (Loyola-Chicago) for a total of 15.

America East: Losing 2 (Hartford, which is leaving D-I, and Stony Brook) for 8 remaining programs.

American: Losing 3 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) and adding 6 (FAU, UAB, Charlotte, UNT, Rice, and UTSA) for a total of 14 members.

Atlantic Sun: Losing 2 (Liberty and Jacksonville State, which just joined), and adding 2 (Austin Peay, one school TBA).

Big 12: Adding 4 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, BYU) and losing 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Big South: Losing Hampton to the Colonial, and will have 11 teams left.

Big Sky: Losing Southern Utah to the WAC, so 10 will remain.

Colonial: James Madison is leaving for the Sun Belt, so the CAA added 3 (Stony Brook, Hampton, and Monmouth) and will have 12 programs.

CUSA: Losing 9 schools (Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, and UTSA) and adding 4 (Liberty, Jacksonville State, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston State). 9 will remain.

Horizon: Losing 1 (UIC) to the Valley, leaving 11 programs.

MAAC: Losing 1 (Monmouth) to the Colonial. 10 left.

MVC: Losing 1 (Loyola-Chicago) and adding 3 (Murray State, Belmont, UIC) for a 12-team conference.

OVC: Losing 3 more (Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay) and gaining 1 (Little Rock). EKU and Jacksonville State already left for the A-Sun. There will be 8 left.

SEC: Adding 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Southland: Already lost 4 schools (Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar) to the WAC and Incarnate Word is heading there next. UCA left for the A-Sun. New D-I school Texas A&M-Commerce will join, for a total of 8 moving forward.

Sun Belt: Adding 4 (Southern Miss, Old Dominion, Marshall, and James Madison) and losing 2 (UT-Arlington and Little Rock), so 14 will remain.

WAC: Currently at 13 after adding 5 Southland schools, but newcomer Sam Houston State is leaving along with New Mexico State, both going to CUSA. Chicago State is leaving without a destination (and should probably go down a division). Southern Utah is joining next season along with Incarnate Word and UT-Arlington. So that brings the total back to 13 next year with those 3 more leaving and 3 entering.

WCC: Losing 1 (BYU) to the Big 12, so dropping from 10 to 9 schools.

There are some awkward conferences left so this won't be the end of it.

32 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I hate that this happens, but there are many examples. It only hurts student-athletes and is little more than a F you to the leaving school. 

Yeah, it sucks for kids playing there who had no idea this would be a possibility when they committed. Especially players in their final seasons.

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Compton got it - there's not much tradition at UIC basketball-wise. They've done well in other programs like baseball and soccer and the market and location within Chicago are undeniable. Along with Murray State and Belmont, the Valley has done well for itself this cycle despite losing its sweetheart program.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So far this has been kept to programs that would have a minuscule chance of winning a game in the NCAA Tournament if the won their conference tournament.  You don't see teams like BYU, UAB, North Texas, Liberty, Loyola, Belmont and Murray State getting barred from conference tournaments.  That is because those teams if they have to win the conference tournament to get in, would have a punchers chance or better to win a game in the tournament.  A win that would mean another NCAA tournament credit left behind for their former conference.

Exactly. James Madison, Stony Brook, and UIC are all very long shots for NCAAT credits at this point.

15 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have wondered how the NCAA decides how many of these Licenses (automatic qualifiers) they give out? Because, some smart institutions might realize that it would be better to be in a small conference with only 7 teams to compete against, as compared to the 14 team A10 (This is assuming that the AQ is given out yearly on a somewhat random basis, like a tournament). If they broke away, would they get a new license?

Really good question. I think the smallest conference left will still be 8 teams next season and all of the same conferences will be in place - none are folding, and no new ones are forming - but it's undeniable that conferences like the Southland and OVC and MEAC have all been seriously weakened, each with 8 teams that wouldn't be competitive in other conferences (except maybe Norfolk State in the MEAC). I don't know what the conversation is like with the NCAA and conferences like this. I thought the WAC was reaching a point of folding not all that long ago but now it's seriously strengthened.

USF (CA) loses by 1 at home to lowly Portland, drops from 32 to 41 NET. BYU (NET 46) is only 5-5 in the WCC. 
Santa Clara (NET 67) won at home over 22 St. Mary’s and moved into 3rd Place in the WCC. 

I’m doubting the WCC gets 4, and while USF is a feel good story, the type the NCAA and its TV partners like to tell, hasn’t been to the NCAA in a long time, since 1998, losing at home to Portland is not the way to get there. 

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

USF (CA) loses by 1 at home to lowly Portland, drops from 32 to 41 NET. BYU (NET 46) is only 5-5 in the WCC. 
Santa Clara (NET 67) won at home over 22 St. Mary’s and moved into 3rd Place in the WCC. 

I’m doubting the WCC gets 4, and while USF is a feel good story, hasn’t been to the NCAA in a long time, losing at home to Portland is not the way to get there. 

USF still has Gonzaga and @ St Marys. I could see just St Mary's and Gonzaga getting in. 

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think this is the full list of pending conference moves as of today (2/9/2022):

A10: Adding 1 (Loyola-Chicago) for a total of 15.

America East: Losing 2 (Hartford, which is leaving D-I, and Stony Brook) for 8 remaining programs.

American: Losing 3 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) and adding 6 (FAU, UAB, Charlotte, UNT, Rice, and UTSA) for a total of 14 members.

Atlantic Sun: Losing 2 (Liberty and Jacksonville State, which just joined), and adding 2 (Austin Peay, one school TBA).

Big 12: Adding 4 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, BYU) and losing 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Big South: Losing Hampton to the Colonial, and will have 11 teams left.

Big Sky: Losing Southern Utah to the WAC, so 10 will remain.

Colonial: James Madison is leaving for the Sun Belt, so the CAA added 3 (Stony Brook, Hampton, and Monmouth) and will have 12 programs.

CUSA: Losing 9 schools (Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, and UTSA) and adding 4 (Liberty, Jacksonville State, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston State). 9 will remain.

Horizon: Losing 1 (UIC) to the Valley, leaving 11 programs.

MAAC: Losing 1 (Monmouth) to the Colonial. 10 left.

MVC: Losing 1 (Loyola-Chicago) and adding 3 (Murray State, Belmont, UIC) for a 12-team conference.

OVC: Losing 3 more (Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay) and gaining 1 (Little Rock). EKU and Jacksonville State already left for the A-Sun. There will be 8 left.

SEC: Adding 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Southland: Already lost 4 schools (Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar) to the WAC and Incarnate Word is heading there next. UCA left for the A-Sun. New D-I school Texas A&M-Commerce will join, for a total of 8 moving forward.

Sun Belt: Adding 4 (Southern Miss, Old Dominion, Marshall, and James Madison) and losing 2 (UT-Arlington and Little Rock), so 14 will remain.

WAC: Currently at 13 after adding 5 Southland schools, but newcomer Sam Houston State is leaving along with New Mexico State, both going to CUSA. Chicago State is leaving without a destination (and should probably go down a division). Southern Utah is joining next season along with Incarnate Word and UT-Arlington. So that brings the total back to 13 next year with those 3 more leaving and 3 entering.

WCC: Losing 1 (BYU) to the Big 12, so dropping from 10 to 9 schools.

There are some awkward conferences left so this won't be the end of it.

In retrospect, leaving the ASUN for what's left of C-USA seems like a big misstep by Liberty and Jacksonville State. Las Cruces, Bowling Green, Norfolk, Boca Raton - just a brutal geography, especially for a school with limited resources like JSU.

4 minutes ago, Compton said:

In retrospect, leaving the ASUN for what's left of C-USA seems like a big misstep by Liberty and Jacksonville State. Las Cruces, Bowling Green, Norfolk, Boca Raton - just a brutal geography, especially for a school with limited resources like JSU.

The A-Sun has gotten stronger in recent years, now with 12 teams in 2 divisions, but I think LU and JSU were looking to be in a conference with all football schools and felt like even the embers of C-USA made for a stronger football base than the A-Sun.

Now, I personally think that the non-power conference teams making football moves are stupid. They probably think they can be viable FCS programs in the long term and are moving as much in that direction as they can. But there are too many cautionary tales at schools that are or were right on the line of power conferences, so I'm not sure what makes these other schools think they can drive revenue chasing football. Temple, Charlotte, even UConn have all been losers in this dumb race.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

St. Mary’s still has 2 regular season games left with Gonzaga, Away and Home in the regular season finale. 

Think they are pretty solid even with 2 losses there. Id imagine their net to still be high 20's/low 30's if they win everything else. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Think they are pretty solid even with 2 losses there. Id imagine their net to still be high 20's/low 30's if they win everything else. 

USF blew a 23 point lead at home vs. SMC, lost 72-70. The rematch is a week from Thursday, 2/17 in Moraga. But home court doesn’t mean that much in these Bay Area regional WCC matchups. I actually think USF is better than SMC. We’ll see.

20 minutes ago, Compton said:

Murray State won by 22 @ Belmont last month and led the entire game. That'd be great to see though. Belmont snuck passed Morehead St. tonight - now tied for 2nd in the OVC.

KJ Williams is a load. He scored something like 15 straight in the 2nd half to pull away from Tennessee State tonight.