2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

2 hours ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Hargrove's dad liked a tweet about Ford not knowing how to coach. I wonder if TJ will transfer, I hope not but someone definitely will. 

Both of his parents interact with me on Twitter a great amount. They love having him home and TJ appears to be happy, plays an important role on the team. 

Parents complain about coaching at every level regardless of the coaching. Have you ever been to a high school or club level sporting event?? The only reason this feels like something worth talking about is because his parents carry a larger profile than any of our other players' families because they're active on Twitter and local. This a a big bowl of nothing soup. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Both of his parents interact with me on Twitter a great amount. They love having him home and TJ appears to be happy, plays an important role on the team. 

Parents complain about coaching at every level regardless of the coaching. Have you ever been to a high school or club level sporting event?? The only reason this feels like something worth talking about is because his parents carry a larger profile than any of our other players' families because they're active on Twitter and local. This a a big bowl of nothing soup. 

I interact with TJ a fair amount on social media and I get the same vibe. He loves his hometown and he loves the energy at Chaifetz, SLU, as you said, is where he wants to be.

rgbilliken likes this

29 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

TJ deserves a lot of credit for his improved outside shooting. His ball handling however is rough. I think the key to more minutes is rebounding. We need Hargrove and Nesbitt to develop a hunger for rebounds and loose balls.

i think it appears hargrove has gained weight.   now it may be muscle.   but that said, he isnt as quick as he used to be imo.   losing that quickness and mediocre at best ball skills imo makes him an undersized big and rebounding will be harder for him regardless of his fantastic leaping ability.   i have come to believe he got his chance this year and we may be seeing the maximum of hargrove.   not that that is bad.   he is still one of the better players on the team and probably only strickland is more athletic.  

that said, he is probably a leading candidate to be recruited over.   i am betting young mr kramer cuts into his minutes next year.   nice problem to have having that kind of athleticism not starting and considering limiting his minutes next year.   it wouldnt surprise me he decides to move on and find a new home, but that is just me talking there is no indication that he is considering such that i can tell.  

BIG BILL FAN likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

that said, he is probably a leading candidate to be recruited over.   i am betting young mr kramer cuts into his minutes next year.   nice problem to have having that kind of athleticism not starting and considering limiting his minutes next year.   it wouldnt surprise me he decides to move on and find a new home, but that is just me talking there is no indication that he is considering such that i can tell.  

I agree with what you said about TJ gaining weight and looking a little less quick. He needs to get back to being that ball of energy he was his first two years (blocking shots, offensive rebounding, deflections, etc.) But I’ve also watched a lot of Nick Kramer the past 3 years and I can guarantee you that he’s not going to be taking any minutes from Hargrove. I would be really surprised if Kramer does not follow the Lorentsson path of watching and learning for his first season or two. 

BilliesBy40 and A10Ref like this

10 minutes ago, NH said:

I agree with what you said about TJ gaining weight and looking a little less quick. He needs to get back to being that ball of energy he was his first two years (blocking shots, offensive rebounding, deflections, etc.) But I’ve also watched a lot of Nick Kramer the past 3 years and I can guarantee you that he’s not going to be taking any minutes from Hargrove. I would be really surprised if Kramer does not follow the Lorentsson path of watching and learning for his first season or two. 

Kramer's minutes in years 1 and 2 greatly depend on the existence or lack thereof of Jimerson and Perkins. He's a perfect offspring of the two with a good deal of developing and maturing to do. 

i think it appears hargrove has gained weight.   now it may be muscle.   but that said, he isnt as quick as he used to be imo.   losing that quickness and mediocre at best ball skills imo makes him an undersized big and rebounding will be harder for him regardless of his fantastic leaping ability.   i have come to believe he got his chance this year and we may be seeing the maximum of hargrove.   not that that is bad.   he is still one of the better players on the team and probably only strickland is more athletic.  

My guess is Kramer sees very few minutes next year ..... too many experienced players who play the same positions in front of him.  Say that Perkins is back, plus Hargrove, Jimerson, Nesbitt and the arrival of Parker .... they all play wing, Kramer sits.

he is still one of the better players on the team and probably only strickland is more athletic.  

that said, he is probably a leading candidate to be recruited over.

Makes sense. Yuri and Nesbitt as well. Two of the better players on the team. Probably leading candidates to be recruited over.

Just now, Schasz said:

As athletic as Strickland is I find it strange that I've never seen him get minutes when a game was being contested. Seems like he may be a possible transfer as he may be wondering the same thing.

hes played a meaningful minute or 2, but not a lot. 

1 minute ago, Schasz said:

As athletic as Strickland is I find it strange that I've never seen him get minutes when a game was being contested. Seems like he may be a possible transfer as he may be wondering the same thing.

Defense is key.  If you don't man up you will have a hard time getting the chance to display your offensive prowess.  He also does not have an outside shot that I have seen.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Defense is key.  If you don't man up you will have a hard time getting the chance to display your offensive prowess.  He also does not have an outside shot that I have seen.

Hmm...don't remember seeing any defense played by the Bills at Davidson at all. In fact, I got tired watching what I was seeing early on in that game.

25 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Hmm...don't remember seeing any defense played by the Bills at Davidson at all. In fact, I got tired watching what I was seeing early on in that game.

Surely you understand that a bench player has to prove himself where as starters are given a bit more leash.

1 hour ago, NH said:

I’ve also watched a lot of Nick Kramer the past 3 years and I can guarantee you that he’s not going to be taking any minutes from Hargrove. I would be really surprised if Kramer does not follow the Lorentsson path of watching and learning for his first season or two. 

I admit i havent seen kramer.   but all i hear is how tough he is and what a perfect shooter he is.   TJ has a very slow release and his defense seems to me to have taken a step back from the end of last year.   note:  all Hargrove comments are soley my opinion.   i havent heard any of such from any known inside authority.  

5 hours ago, Schasz said:

best 10th man we've ever had. this is what happens when a team is stacked. if he can be sold that he will start on a dance worthy team when he's a senior & even junior he stays. Otherwise we loose him :(

billiken_roy likes this

7 hours ago, NH said:

I would be really surprised if Kramer does not follow the Lorentsson path of watching and learning for his first season or two. 

In the recruits thread another poster said he’s been told by those that know that he’s the best recruit coming in and will see the floor right away.

I don’t know whose right but I hope it’s not you. 😉 

28 minutes ago, dlarry said:

In the recruits thread another poster said he’s been told by those that know that he’s the best recruit coming in and will see the floor right away.

I don’t know whose right but I hope it’s not you. 😉 

We’re all entitled to our own evaluations. I am a big fan of SLUH basketball and Coach Claggett and have been watching Kramer for 3 years now. I’m happy he’s coming to SLU and think he’ll be a good fit with the TeamBlue culture.

My guess is whoever is saying Kramer will play a lot right away is doing so based on secondhand information. Everything I’ve seen and the people I’ve talked to around STL hs basketball seem to agree that he still has some room to grow before he is D1 ready.

dlarry likes this

Looking at trends over the last 5 games: Green above avg, red below average, black average

Nesbitt 43% FG & 53% from 3

Yuri 60% FG & 50% 3 & 88% FT

Linssen 59% FG & 86% FT

Fred 49% FG & 66%(!) 3 & 75% FT

Hargrove 42% FG & 23% 3

Okoro 57% FG & 75% FT

Gibson 40% FG & 30% 3 & 63% FT

Fred is 1 made three away from being your new team 3 point leader. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Looking at trends over the last 5 games: Green above avg, red below average, black average

Linssen 59% FG & 86% FT

Hargrove 42% FG & 23% 3

Okoro 57% FG & 75% FT

Thanks for this. Essentially, we need Gibson to get his legs back. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Linssen 59% FG & 86% FT

Hargrove 42% FG & 23% 3

Okoro 57% FG & 75% FT

We all know what Yuri brings as a facilitator, but am I the only one that wants him to be more aggressive with scoring the ball? He’s been shooting at such a high clip to where I’d like to see him take some more shots every game. I still see defenses sagging off of him from time to time. We all saw what he could do against George Mason.

The two concerns I have are Jimerson's tired legs and Nesbitt's inability to get things done consistently on the offensive end.  Now, in Jordan's defense, he is drawing some pretty heavy defensive assignments so I'll take that for the most part as a freshman.

2 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

We all know what Yuri brings as a facilitator, but am I the only one that wants him to be more aggressive with scoring the ball? He’s been shooting at such a high clip to where I’d like to see him take some more shots every game. I still see defenses sagging off of him from time to time. We all saw what he could do against George Mason.

It depends on his match up for me.

Also:

Home: 50% FG - 43% 3 - 75% FT

Away: 40% FG - 27% 3 -  96% FT

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The two concerns I have are Jimerson's tired legs and Nesbitt's inability to get things done consistently on the offensive end.  Now, in Jordan's defense, he is drawing some pretty heavy defensive assignments so I'll take that for the most part as a freshman.

I think the issue with Nesbitt is that Coach Ford gave him a lot of shots early on in the season but he forced things too much (to be expected as a freshman). Now it seems like he doesn’t have Ford’s trust back just yet because he never really gets any plays called for him. I remember people talking about his goose egg at home against St. B but from to me it seemed like he wasn’t getting as many opportunities as he should.  I know he was 0/4 that game but that was from two missed threes and at least one failed putback amongst the trees.

22 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

11 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I think the issue with Nesbitt is that Coach Ford gave him a lot of shots early on in the season but he forced things too much (to be expected as a freshman). Now it seems like he doesn’t have Ford’s trust back just yet because he never really gets any plays called for him. I remember people talking about his goose egg at home against St. B but from to me it seemed like he wasn’t getting as many opportunities as he should.  I know he was 0/4 that game but that was from two missed threes and at least one failed putback amongst the trees.

Two of Jordan's best games this year were in the last four games, including his best half of the year @ St. B. He played fine the last two games, but the looks weren't there.