2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-interesting that the home page of SLUBillikens.com has an offer for SVU tickets "starting at $20 a piece", looks like 31 of these seats still available

-there are 4 upper level sections that list '100+' tickets for sale, 2 sections @ $30 per seat, 1 @ $35 and 1 @ $50, while not a bad seat in the house I think $50 is a bit steep

-I hope we win tomorrow and the approximately 1400 tickets remaining sell like hotcakes, we win on Saturday and these folks return (not the ones wearing sweater vests, them not until next season)

-looks like a big crowd on Saturday, hope all get sold and all the seats are used by those wearing white

15 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I think there's going to be a lot of red in the seats. Should be fun. I agree winning will definitely help. 

With this weather moving through Ohio after us, it will be interesting to see how many Dayton fans successfully complete the trip.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

With this weather moving through Ohio after us, it will be interesting to see how many Dayton fans successfully complete the trip.

Respectable amount of Dayton alumni in STL metro. I know a few that will be going to the game. I know they travel well but curious what the breakdown of local to traveling fans typically is when Dayton visits, especially for a weekend game. 

Was curious how many A10 alumni lived in St. Louis so I Did some quick googling while on a work call (so probably missed a few) but only found numbers for Dayton and Richmond alumni (1,500 for Dayton and 175 for Richmond). Saint Louis University came in first with over 50,000 alumni. Did NOT see that coming. 

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Respectable amount of Dayton alumni in STL metro. I know a few that will be going to the game. I know they travel well but curious what the breakdown of local to traveling fans typically is when Dayton visits, especially for a weekend game. 

Was curious how many A10 alumni lived in St. Louis so I Did some quick googling while on a work call (so probably missed a few) but only found numbers for Dayton and Richmond alumni (1,500 for Dayton and 175 for Richmond). Saint Louis University came in first with over 50,000 alumni. Did NOT see that coming. 

How would you find this information. Do you work for the NSA?

16 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

How would you find this information. Do you work for the NSA?

I actually had an interview with the NSA years back but when asked why I shouldn't work for them I sort of went off on a rant and told them I would hold out for something better. Figured F it..... while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

New rant over...

Alumni page on the school website. Not sure how accurate they are though. 

Looks like Flyer fans are meeting at Fieldhouse before the game. Get there early and fill the place up so they have to drink outside.

https://udayton.edu/advancement/alumni/alumni-communities/stlouis.php#:~:text=Louis Alumni Community-,St.,Dayton alumni in the area.

https://alumni.richmond.edu/regional-groups/domestic-groups/st-louis.html

billiken_roy likes this

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

Looks like Dayton crunched VCU tonight at their arena. It is very hard to win a game against Dayton at their home.

Not sure if the “their” is referring to Dayton or VCU, but Dayton’s win was at VCU. Looks like Dayton is hitting their stride. The Bills have to find a way to take them down Saturday.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, billikenbill said:

Not sure if the “their” is referring to Dayton or VCU, but Dayton’s win was at VCU. Looks like Dayton is hitting their stride. The Bills have to find a way to take them down Saturday.

Dayton defeated VCU at VCU's arena. They thought they would just roll us over with their momentum and were stopped by SLU. They did not like the way this game went, but they have no other games with us until the A10 tournament. That is if both teams stay in long enough to play.

Friday is huge. Bona seemed to get back to their style of basketball yesterday, but they still rode their 5 guys while blowing out an inferior opponent at home. We need to run them out of the gym. I think our two-headed monster of Linssen and Okoro will be the difference maker.

4 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Friday is huge. Bona seemed to get back to their style of basketball yesterday, but they still rode their 5 guys while blowing out an inferior opponent at home. We need to run them out of the gym. I think our two-headed monster of Linssen and Okoro will be the difference maker.

Devil's advocate - trying to defend Schmidt& come up with reasons why he would ride his starting 5 so hard in a game they were head easily:

1. Bonnies NCAA hopes are on life support.  Bigger blowout win = bigger NET boost, so keeping your starters in & trying to run up the score is a decent strategy.
  2. Even the starting 5 haven't been playing that well, so getting them extra time together in a game they can dominate is a confidence boost that could pay dividends in the future.

These same guys were iron men all last season.  I know this season is longer & they hardly played non-conference at all last year, but I don't necessarily buy that fatigue is a the main factor for their disappointing season.

I'm worried about back to back games against them because back to back vs anyone is tough.

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Devil's advocate - trying to defend Schmidt& come up with reasons why he would ride his starting 5 so hard in a game they were head easily:

1. Bonnies NCAA hopes are on life support.  Bigger blowout win = bigger NET boost, so keeping your starters in & trying to run up the score is a decent strategy.
  2. Even the starting 5 haven't been playing that well, so getting them extra time together in a game they can dominate is a confidence boost that could pay dividends in the future.

These same guys were iron men all last season.  I know this season is longer & they hardly played non-conference at all last year, but I don't necessarily buy that fatigue is a the main factor for their disappointing season.

I'm worried about back to back games against them because back to back vs anyone is tough.

I don't understand Schmidt's iron man approach but it's been working for the past 6 years, as the Bonnies have finished ahead of more talented teams.  This is the first year it hasn't.  Whatever their problem is, I hope they figure out AFTER our two game set.

slufanskip likes this

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Fatigue is a key word, but it encompasses nagging injuries. I bet that more than just Lofton are dealing with off the books injuries.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't understand Schmidt's iron man approach but it's been working for the past 6 years, as the Bonnies have finished ahead of more talented teams.  This is the first year it hasn't.  Whatever their problem is, I hope they figure out AFTER our two game set.

I think we saw this with Ford's first few years when we had little / no depth, but overperformed expectations.  It is a lot easier to get 5 guys on the same page / playing quality team defense than a rotation of 8-9 guys.  Everyone within that 5 learns what they're supposed to do & how to cover for the others weaknesses.  They can overperform their talent deficiencies by playing more cohesive  basketball on both ends, but especially on defense.  The pitfalls are that you are susceptible to injuries, foul trouble, & fatigue.

BuiltFordBills and wgstl like this

4 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Fatigue is a key word, but it kind of encompasses nagging injuries. I bet that more than just Lofton are dealing with off the books injuries. That is probably why they have struggled.

If you're thinking of fatigue as encompassing nagging injuries, I think you are absolutely correct.  IMO last season the Bonnies were extremely lucky to avoid injuries that kept key players out of games & nagging injuries that allowed them to play, but at a diminished capacity.  This season they have not been so lucky.

I separate that from fatigue though.  To me fatigue just means guys get worn down later in games or later in the season whereas injuries (nagging or otherwise) are a different thing.  I do understand lumping them together though.  Lack of depth can exacerbate both.