Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

81? Is he going to have them running the “4 corners offense?”
The Bills should have brought him in last year to teach French underhanded Free-throws. 

hahahaha

i dont remember Larry Brown and Kansas being a big proponent of the 4 corners, but i get your statement.

in my opinion, the 4 corners was fascinating.   one guy (the point guard) could control the entire game by leading a game of keep away.   the ncaa actually changed the rules to stop it.   as an ancient old high school point guard, i know and appreciate how difficult that is to successfully do but of course at the higher levels of college basketball with all the elite players, of course the strongest teams would have those players to make that work.  imo it is incredible that phil ford was not inducted into the college basketball hall of fame for decades after his career ended.   he was the 4 corners.  

2 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I’m worried about our offense against Memphis. They were the #1 defensive team last year on KenPom and we will still be learning how to play without Perkins. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost big… hope I’m wrong 

Even if we had Perkins, they still have the former number 1 and number 2 recruits from the class of 2022. I hope you're wrong too, but I'm tempering my expectations.

4 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Kenpom having us going 16-14 is keeping my blue kool aid chugging to a minimum.  

Even Ken Pomeroy would tell you not to put much stock in preseason KenPom rankings, especially with a young team. 

He had us at 142 preseason two years ago and we ended up going 23-8 and finishing 62nd overall.

In 2014-2015 he had us at 81 in the preseason and we ended up going 11-21 finishing 289th in the nation.

A10Ref and Littlebill like this

11 hours ago, NH said:

Even Ken Pomeroy would tell you not to put much stock in preseason KenPom rankings, especially with a young team. 

He had us at 142 preseason two years ago and we ended up going 23-8 and finishing 62nd overall.

In 2014-2015 he had us at 81 in the preseason and we ended up going 11-21 finishing 289th in the nation.

He certainly underestimated the "He Who Shalt Not Be Named" factor in 14-15. 

22 hours ago, wgstl said:

Larry Brown is 81, one may wonder how invested he actually is as far as coaching goes. 

Being closer to 81 than the vast majority of the members here, I can assure you that this is not an age at which people are likely to try new things.

I look at Larry Brown as a move by the Memphis powers to be a mentor to Penny with the goal being to keep Penny, a local favorite, while at the same time keeping the fan base happy. No doubting Penny's recruiting abilities. He's right up there with the worst of them; Calipari, Pearl, et al. But getting premium talent is not enough to get the job done. You have to be able to coach it as well. Brown will bring that talent to fruition, while at the same time tutoring Penny in the finer points of coaching. I view Brown as more of a consultant than an assistant coach. He's old enough that a HC position is not his goal at this point. That should ease Penny's mind so he's not looking over his shoulder wondering if his replacement is sitting next to him on the bench. Memphis wants Penny to succeed as he is a favorite son type coach and firing him would be a bad optic. They're gonna give him everything he needs to make Messphis a big time power. 

3star_recruit likes this

I don’t think Larry Brown makes much of a difference. I think Memphis returns it’s top player in Quinones, and has a few other key returners. I think Duren and Bates are actually pretty good. You don’t really have to know anything about coaching when the players are good enough. Just get out of the way.

We can beat them. By playing good defense and being smart with the ball. Playing tough and fighting for the boards. I think it is important to not expect everything from the players though, so the fan base does not throw an unproductive hissy fit.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t think Larry Brown makes much of a difference. I think Memphis returns it’s top player in Quinones, and has a few other key returners. I think Duren and Bates are actually pretty good. You don’t really have to know anything about coaching when the players are good enough. Just get out of the way.

We can beat them. By playing good defense and being smart with the ball. Playing tough and fighting for the boards. I think it is important to not expect everything from the players though, so the fan base does not through an unproductive hissy fit.

Oh that's coming this year I guarantee it. 

A10Ref and Bills By 40 like this

Memphis will be a very tall and athletic team.  But can they play as a unit is to be seen. 

I'm like the rest of you, I have no idea on Penny's heavy rotation, but 6'9" F Williams, 6'7" G Nolley and 6'5" G Quinones are all returning starters from last season's team.  Add 6'6" G transfer Timberlake, 6'11" F/C  freshmen Duren and 6'9" F Bates, and you have an imposing first six.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Historically Coach has gone with an 8 + 2 rotation.  If these are the 8, then who are the two that can 'hold the line' for short spurts?

I think Traore may play, not because he's the 9th best, but I think Franco and Linssen will run into foul problems often.

Jones is our next best option at PG

Then Strickland's athleticism/D vs Lorentsson's shooting will be matchup-based for sure

HoosierPal likes this

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think Traore may play, not because he's the 9th best, but I think Franco and Linssen will run into foul problems often.

Then Strickland's athleticism/D vs Lorentsson's shooting will be matchup-based for sure

FrankO. How have we missed this?

33 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think Nesbitt is our  second best point guard, Question is will he play very much at point 

billiken_roy likes this

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think Nesbitt is our  second best point guard, Question is will he play very much at point 

If Yuri really does play 33-34 min a game, then nobody besides Yuri will be playing much at point.  But if Yuri gets 3 fouls in the first half on the road, Nesbitt can competently fill the playmaker role.  That's who he's been most of his basketball life. His scoring prowess is a relatively late development.

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Yuri really does play 33-34 min a game, then nobody besides Yuri will be playing much at point.  But if Yuri gets 3 fouls in the first half on the road, Nesbitt can competently fill the playmaker role.  That's who he's been most of his basketball life. His scoring prowess is a relatively late development.

Yes practices and exhibitions but he passes wayyy better than I thought he would.