2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

37 minutes ago, bauman said:

OG, I have to disagree with you about @ Boise St being the toughest.  I think Auburn will be harder.  This 6 game stretch is one that can make us a favorite to get in the NCAA (by sweeping the 6) or making our only chance to get in, going at least 16-2 in the league or winning the A 10 tournament (3-3 or worse in the next 6).  By degree of difficulty, i would line them up as follows---Auburn, Belmont, @ Boise St, UAB, Drake (N), Boston College.

This may be totally correct considering the strength of the teams, however Boise is an away game which adds difficulty to obtaining a win. It really does not matter, I hope we win both.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

This may be totally correct considering the strength of the teams, however Boise is an away game which adds difficulty to obtaining a win. It really does not matter, I hope we win both.

Wonder if they have a blue court like the  football turf?

54 minutes ago, almaman said:

Wonder if they have a blue court like the  football turf?

Don't know if this is current, but it came from an article titled "The 20 ugliest basketball court designs". Giant horse heads at each end. Could be worse I guess.

ca5b693b04a268e91a051ea9b62ab429.jpg

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Don't know if this is current, but it came from an article titled "The 20 ugliest basketball court designs". Giant horse heads at each end. Could be worse I guess.

But not much. That’s horrific. 

53 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

That floor painting must make it hard for the officials to see critical markers - it is way to busy for me.

33 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, don't know whether to think chess or The Godfather.

i was thinking the classic B movie student bodies.  

Talking about SLU vs Boise St. Here are the current stats as per team ranking for both teams, you can see that the stats favor SLU, which does not mean we will win the game, but we have a good chance of doing so.

Offensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU BSU
Points/Game 82.0 61.3
Avg Score Margin +15.8 +4.8
Assists/Game 13.7 11.8
Total Rebounds/Gm 40.5 35.7
Effective FG % 50.0% 44.9%
Off Rebound % 37.9% 29.8%
FTA/FGA 0.435 0.260
Turnover % 15.5% 15.1%

Defensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU BSU
Opp Points/Game 66.2 56.5
Opp Effective FG % 47.4% 45.5%
Off Rebounds/Gm 12.8 10.3
Def Rebounds/Gm 24.5 22.0
Blocks/Game 3.7 2.8
Steals/Game 8.5 6.3
Personal Fouls/Gm 18.3 14.7

On 11/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, NH said:

When was the last time that the conference's lack of strength kept us from getting an at-large bid? Probably never. For teams like SLU, at-large bids will always be made in the non-conference. 

The A-10 being a little down this year hurts because it makes less money for the teams in the conference and doesn't raise the profile of the conference in terms of future recruiting, scheduling, etc. But I think it's impact on SLU's ability to make the NCAA tournament in a given year is always overstated.

The problem is that if only 5 of the 14 teams are in the top 100, it makes it hard to find places for Quad 1 and Quad 2 victories. Ideally you have 7 or 8 of these in your conference. 

18 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The problem is that if only 5 of the 14 teams are in the top 100, it makes it hard to find places for Quad 1 and Quad 2 victories. Ideally you have 7 or 8 of these in your conference. 

I understand how strength of schedule works. But the next time the performance of our conference mates keeps us out of the tournament will be the first time. 

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, NH said:

I understand how strength of schedule works. But the next time the performance of our conference mates keeps us out of the tournament will be the first time. 

I can name plenty of years when the performance of our conference mates kept us out of the tourney. Had we never lost to a conference mate, we'd be in every year. 

Slight drop for SLU in the massey composite this week, fell 3 spots to #59.  This week we had @ #73, then H vs #58;  then Belmont at #55. Likely our most important 3 game stretch of the season.  Cant do less than 2-1.

While we await The Wiz's stellar assessment, Sagarin has the upcoming, Tuesday night @Boise State game as BSU -2.

SLU has the better Sagarin ranking 45 vs. BSU's 72.  SLU has the better Sagarin rating 82.28 vs. 79.82.  But BSU gets Sagarin's 4 point home court advantage boost, which makes BSU the 2 point (rounded off from 1.54) favorite.

Other ratings:  NCAA NET- SLU 52 (SLU has work to do there) BSU 53;

RPI (the archaic)- SLU 112, BSU 102;

ESPN BPI- SLU 52, BSU 79;

Pomeroy- SLU 91, BSU 68.

I expect a very tough road game at Boise State, despite and frankly more so, after BSU lost 46-39 at home Friday vs. Cal State Bakersfield.  Boise State is 3-3, with a home win over Utah Valley 76-56, neutral court wins over Temple (AAC) 82-62 and Ole Miss (SEC) 60-50, a 58-50 road loss at UC Irvine (Big West) and a 67-61 neutral court loss to St. Bonaventure.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, Old guy said:

Talking about SLU vs Boise St. Here are the current stats as per team ranking for both teams, you can see that the stats favor SLU, which does not mean we will win the game, but we have a good chance of doing so.

Offensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU BSU
Points/Game 82.0 61.3
Avg Score Margin +15.8 +4.8
Assists/Game 13.7 11.8
Total Rebounds/Gm 40.5 35.7
Effective FG % 50.0% 44.9%
Off Rebound % 37.9% 29.8%
FTA/FGA 0.435 0.260
Turnover % 15.5% 15.1%

Defensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU BSU
Opp Points/Game 66.2 56.5
Opp Effective FG % 47.4% 45.5%
Off Rebounds/Gm 12.8 10.3
Def Rebounds/Gm 24.5 22.0
Blocks/Game 3.7 2.8
Steals/Game 8.5 6.3
Personal Fouls/Gm 18.3 14.7

To Win: Defend and Rebound... oh, and make a few three point shots while you're at it.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

While we await The Wiz's stellar assessment, Sagarin has the upcoming, Tuesday night @Boise State game as BSU -2.

SLU has the better Sagarin ranking 45 vs. BSU's 72.  SLU has the better Sagarin rating 82.28 vs. 79.82.  But BSU gets Sagarin's 4 point home court advantage boost, which makes BSU the 2 point (rounded off from 1.54) favorite.

Other ratings:  NCAA NET- SLU 52 (SLU has work to do there) BSU 53;

RPI (the archaic)- SLU 112, BSU 102;

ESPN BPI- SLU 52, BSU 79;

Pomeroy- SLU 91, BSU 68.

I expect a very tough road game at Boise State, despite and frankly more so, after BSU lost 46-39 at home Friday vs. Cal State Bakersfield.  Boise State is 3-3, with a home win over Utah Valley 76-56, neutral court wins over Temple (AAC) 82-62 and Ole Miss (SEC) 60-50, a 58-50 road loss at UC Irvine (Big West) and a 67-61 neutral court loss to St. Bonaventure.

SLU's NET will improve inevitably after this stretch of games we have ahead of us. Performing well in that stretch is also important but even close losses should move the needle.  

Boise State starts 6'8", 6'5" and 6'2 guards, 6'7" and 6'10" bigs.  BSU has 3 6'5" guys, including the coach's son, 2 6'7"'s and a 6'10" Center coming off the bench, plays 10 players.  Three players average in double figures, 12.3 (the 6'8" point guard, Emmanuel Akot), 10.5 (Devonaire Doutrive, 6'5" guard), and 10.3 (Abu Kigab, 6'7" forward), with another at 9.4 (Marcus Shaver, Jr., guard), and the 5th starter at 7.8 (Mladen Armus, 6'10" from Serbia).  Two bench players average 5.0 and 4.8.

BSU has hit a mere .277 from 3-point range, .394 in FG percentage, and .593 at the free throw line, has averaged 61.33 PPG and allowed 56.50 PPG.  So the Broncos look like a good defensive club.

BSU Coach Leon Rice, age 58, is in his 12th year at BSU, is 218-138 there, .612.

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

We got 3 votes in the Coaches Poll. Tied for 41st in the nation. 

Keep winning. 

Performing VERY well in our upcoming schedule could find us ranked by conference season. Boldfaced and underlined emphasis on the very