Jump to content

OT Why the ever-loving hell is Stu Durando tweeting the song of the day?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Also, does it seem he might be taking that a little more serious than his Billiken coverage?

I guess I don’t mind it in May. And I’m a big supporter of people being allowed to tweet about their interests outside of their job, but I don’t get the impression that anybody is really interacting with his “songs of the day”. It’s fine, I guess. But it does seem strange that he just seemed to start doing it about a month ago. Like he saw somebody else doing it and thought it might be a good idea to adopt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

what is wrong with it?   he apparently really likes music.  good for stu.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

for you stu haters, if you think about it, the st louis post dispatch aka place for mi$$ouri journalism majors to get a job because no one else will hire them, is not not a billiken lover news outlet.   we are lucky we even have a beat writer.   I think Stu does fine and i fear the alternative more than dislike stu.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

I don't have a problem with Stu's coverage.

He goes where the editor tells him.

Meh, I do have a problem with the coverage.

but this take about stu and music is one I’ll sit out 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a huge problem with it or him per se.  It just seemed an odd use of his twitter feed, especially when there isn't a lot else happening on it.   Maybe I'm just not interested in Stu's Idea of good music....

I'd be way more interested in Billiken Roy's stein of the day.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a big Stu critic, but I think he has gotten better and has done a better job with SLU on social media. My only nitpick is his lack of coverage of recruiting. I also think the P-D coverage complaint has been a bit overplayed. In year's where we're relevant we got a lot of coverage, often times preferred placement over Mizzou bball. We got plenty of coverage in the RM years and the last few years with Ford. Also, the last couple of years, it seems the P-D has given a lot more coverage in the offseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ACE said:

I used to be a big Stu critic, but I think he has gotten better and has done a better job with SLU on social media. My only nitpick is his lack of coverage of recruiting. I also think the P-D coverage complaint has been a bit overplayed. In year's where we're relevant we got a lot of coverage, often times preferred placement over Mizzou bball. We got plenty of coverage in the RM years and the last few years with Ford. Also, the last couple of years, it seems the P-D has given a lot more coverage in the offseason. 

i agree he is far too weak on recruiting.    my guess is that he knows he either has to really just parrot what he reads online i.e. he doesnt know.   or else he has to work a lot harder and likely at his own expense.   so rather than do either, he just only reports whatever the billiken program will share with him.   we all know the best info is from the player's themselves and from the player's coaches and networks.   again, that's a lot of time and travel etc that the post likely isnt going to cover.  so he stays out of it.   I dont know this, but just envision it.  

we got pistol to give us the "other side".   so we are getting the news.   thank the Lord for pistol  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Freaking legend.

Lonesome Dove was my first binge. Friend taped it all week. Grabbed from him 10 in evening brought home watched whole thing straight through till 430 a m 🤓

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, almaman said:

Lonesome Dove was my first binge. Friend taped it all week. Grabbed from him 10 in evening brought home watched whole thing straight through till 430 a m 🤓

And his son is just as talented of a story-teller. A nice slice of Americana pie. If your post-pandemic travels take you to Austin, hopefully James resumes his residency at the Continental Club. I was able to see him on tour a few years ago opening up for Jason Isbell and he was just as good in larger venues as he is in a more intimate club. 
 

Also, if anyone is a fan of this style of music, check out William Elliott Whitmore - from rural Iowa and he’s got a very melancholic, roots style of folk music. He can be very dark at times, but can deal on the banjo. “Old Devils” should be your starting tune. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, almaman said:

Lonesome Dove was my first binge. Friend taped it all week. Grabbed from him 10 in evening brought home watched whole thing straight through till 430 a m 🤓

Gus McCrae might be my favorite character in any book.

And the cast of that miniseries is ridiculously good.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 11:38 AM, thatskablamo said:

I agree - this is the “slow news day” season on bills.com. We’ve hit critical mass. 
 

My song of the day:

 

Always play this on my drive back from STL to Austin when I turn at the Big Cabin exit and pass the Indian Smoke Shop after I pass that big McDonald's.... followed up by a lil Tyler Childers Feathered Indians. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Always play this on my drive back from STL to Austin when I turn at the Big Cabin exit and pass the Indian Smoke Shop after I pass that big McDonald's.... followed up by a lil Tyler Childers Feathered Indians. 

The ol’ Will Rogers Turnpike! 80 MPH…just remember - don’t drive into the smoke!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 10:42 PM, thatskablamo said:

The ol’ Will Rogers Turnpike! 80 MPH…just remember - don’t drive into the smoke!

And DON'T pick up hitchhikers. They may be escaping inmates!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

And DON'T pick up hitchhikers. They may be escaping inmates!

I guess we should keep this thread going in solidarity with Stu’s song of the day. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...