Welcome, Rashad Williams!

wgstl

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With only having seen highlights and looked over his BRef page, I like the signing. Travis looks to be focusing on spacing, which plays to the strength of having Yuri on the roster. A guy who can heat up quickly off the bench is always a nice thing to have on the team. 

majerus mojo likes this

11 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Pistol, would you mind posting what you have on him?

From the transfers thread:

6-2, 185 lb. junior from Detroit. He spent the last two seasons at Oakland after starting out at Cleveland State, where he scored 10.8 PPG as a freshman.

Averaged 23.1 MPG and 13.6 PPG this season after averaging 19.5 points last season in 38.1 MPG. Looks like the downturn in minutes and production was caused by a series of injuries - car accident right before the season that messed up his shoulder, hip injury vs. Toledo, ankle injury vs. Cleveland State.

Went off for back-to-back 30+ point performances vs. Michigan State and Oklahoma State after his shoulder improved.

His shooting volume is incredible - he took 12.6 3-pointers per game last season, and still shot 9.9 per game this year (he led the nation in 3PA). He made over 40% of his threes as a freshman at CSU, on over 7 attempts a game. Percentages went down to 32.3% last year and 33.0% this season, so I'd like to see those improve. There's no way he can keep that volume up if he moves up a level, so maybe when his shot selection isn't "all the shots" the percentages will naturally go up a bit.

He's an excellent FT shooter, around 80% for his career.

So he's high volume, low efficiency and can be feast or famine - check out his game log. 10-20 from 3 vs. Oklahoma State! Two games later he was 1-10.

He takes 75% of his shots from the perimeter but can create anywhere, key word being create.

I sort of wonder how that would play alongside Perkins, who likely expects to be taking the most shots next season. One of my fears is the offense stalling out if we try to force too much through him, or him just trying to do too much at times, so it certainly could alleviate pressure to have an absolutely fearless bomber come along. We have some other guys who can score, though. Having him, Perkins, Jimerson, and our other shooting threats hopefully means they're all able to get good shots. There's just no way he can shoot the same volume here.

MattyMo213 and Zink like this

I think this kid playing off of Yuri (under the assumption of health and improvement for both of them this offseason) will be like watching poetry in motion... Then add Perkins, our go-to-guy, and we will have three of the most creative offensive skillsets I have seen playing together in Billiken uniforms.

Agreed, playing alongside Yuri and with another dangerous scorer in Perkins on the floor, will hopefully translate to more open looks which would figure to mean making a higher percentage. The biggest priority now is another PG who is an excellent defender. It may be too different players to cover those needs, but ideally we could find both in one player. After that, a strong rebounder at the 3/4.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed, playing alongside Yuri and with another dangerous scorer in Perkins on the floor, will hopefully translate to more open looks which would figure to mean making a higher percentage. The biggest priority now is another PG who is an excellent defender. It may be too different players to cover those needs, but ideally we could find both in one player. After that, a strong rebounder at the 3/4.

Agree, need another PG, or at the least, a very good ball handling combo guard. 

After seeing Tre Mitchell abuse SLU also hoping for another athletic big (to go with Okoro).  Big weakness this past season was SLU trying to deal with that 6'8" to 6'10" stud athletic big on the other team.  Love Bell, but can he deal with those quick bigs? ..... the jury is still out on that.

Then with that 14th scholarship, how about one of those under recruited HS kids?  Best available. Should be some good ones out there this year for sure given the glut of transfers this year. For me, thinking another guard might be wise given the college game is so guard centric.

Yo WV —— outside of Tre Mitchell, which other 6’8” to 6’10” “stud” abused us these past few years?  My argument being that outside of Mitchell, the A10 has none.

I sure hope Rashard is the 3 point shooter we need for next season. We also need for Gibson to improve too on both ends. Let's go find us a big who can give us some minutes...either a transfer or Frosh!

Just now, Taj79 said:

Yo WV —— outside of Tre Mitchell, which other 6’8” to 6’10” “stud” abused us these past few years?  My argument being that outside of Mitchell, the A10 has none.

So, only worried about the A10?  But this year Watford of LSU was one and Bates, NC State another.  Yes SLU won those games, but our bigs could not handle those two bigs.

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I sure hope Rashard is the 3 point shooter we need for next season. We also need for Gibson to improve too on both ends. Let's go find us a big who can give us some minutes...either a transfer or Frosh!

Yuri, and 3 of Rashad, Gibson. and Perk and TJ would be a nightmare to defend especially if TJ can shoot the 3 like he has with more volume. With good spacing it'd be almost impossible to guard them all on the perimeter. Over play it and TJ or Perk beat you to the hole. 

Schasz likes this

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yuri, and 3 of Rashad, Gibson. and Perk and TJ would be a nightmare to defend especially if TJ can shoot the 3 like he has with more volume. With good spacing it'd be almost impossible to guard them all on the perimeter. Over play it and TJ or Perk beat you to the hole. 

And Okoro in the middle causing havoc with the blonde beauty that is Linssen and big boy Bell coming off the bench... This team is going to be a lot of fun. FT and TJ will hopefully be able to combo what we are losing from JG (if he doesn't return).

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this kid by any means but why is having a high 3pt attempt if you only shoot 33% a good thing?  I am not knocking the signing but does this team need another 31-33% 3pt shooter?

Because a large amount of his shots he took he will not be taking here. He would shoot a 3 with 2 defenders on top of him, or off-balanced, simply because his goal was to shoot whenever he got the ball. Remove ill-advised shots and he shoots much closer to 40%

Just now, wgstl said:

Because a large amount of his shots he took he will not be taking here. He would shoot a 3 with 2 defenders on top of him, or off-balanced, simply because his goal was to shoot whenever he got the ball. Remove ill-advised shots and he shoots much closer to 40%

Fair enough

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

To this point he shot 40% as a freshman at Cleveland State back when he was shooting a more reasonable 7 (!) threes a game.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this kid by any means but why is having a high 3pt attempt if you only shoot 33% a good thing?  I am not knocking the signing but does this team need another 31-33% 3pt shooter?

The thinking is if he doesn't have to create his own shot all the time like he did at Oakland, the shooting percentage goes up a few points.

Edit: Or what wgstl said.

cheeseman likes this

yo WV ---- not every team has a Watford or a Bates.  And as you so aptly pointed out, we beat them both.  sure we'll see guys like that and even if they are unstoppable, stop the rest.  We had French and now Okoro,  Probably the best two Billiken bigs ever.  We won't be seeing another unless we get Tarris Reed.  

A 'bad post?'  I've missed my b*tch so .......