2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutgers coach is to blame on that loss.  You cannot get out of the aggressive offense and switch to the stall run the clock out offense with over 3 minutes left against Houston.

Play defense and keep the foot in the gas on offense until time runs out.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If Liddle ( you mean Liddell ) the current was here. That’s funny. You’re making an argument based upon a hypothetical that had no chance of happening.

it really this simple 6 teams in the A10 ranked better than the 3rd best team in the Valley. 10 A10 teams in the top 150, 4 from the Valley.

2 Tourney teams from the Valley the next best just squeezed into the top 100. 

good % of hypotheticals have no  chance of happening. 

How about the narrative change Kelvin Sampson has pulled off for his career? He was a hated man when he went to Houston (still definitely is in Norman and Bloomington) but now he’s praised the media and has something special cooking in H-town. 

14 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Add Oral Roberts to the ever growing list of 80s era MCC teams that have advanced to the Sweet 16 ahead of SLU. Best finish in parentheses.

Xavier (2x Elite Eight)
Marquette (Final 4)
Butler (2x National Runner up)
Dayton (Elite Eight)
Loyola (Final Four)
Oral Roberts

pain

28 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Add Oral Roberts to the ever growing list of 80s era MCC teams that have advanced to the Sweet 16 ahead of SLU. Best finish in parentheses.

Xavier (2x Elite Eight)
Marquette (Final 4)
Dayton (Elite Eight)
Loyola (Final Four)
Oral Roberts

I love being in the same group as Evansville, Detroit Mercy, and Oklahoma City.

39 minutes ago, almaman said:

good % of hypotheticals have no  chance of happening. 

Sure but you were basing a SLU move to the Valley based upon something with 0 % chance of happening. 

Heck then I say the Big East takes us if we just get 1 top 10 player per year. 

51 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Xavier (2x Elite Eight)
Marquette (Final 4)
Dayton (Elite Eight)
Loyola (Final Four)
Oral Roberts

Amazing.

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Xavier (2x Elite Eight)
Marquette (Final 4)
Dayton (Elite Eight)
Loyola (Final Four)
Oral Roberts

That list makes me so sad. And to think we were the lucky ones with Marquette to jump ship to the Great Midwest in 1991.

7 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Yeah I don’t understand that programming at all. Really odd scheduling set up today.

Its been like that for the last 5 years or so. CBS does the 3 lead in afternoon games and then kicks the night action so they can have their prime time crap and all the other games get bunched. 

Back in the 80s when SLU was in the MCC, if you were out-of-town, it was next to impossible to know how the Bills were doing or who played. All you had was buying one of those annual college magazines (like Street and Smith) to get a schedule and what the roster looked like. Also, fortunately our local public library carried the Post-Dispatch and I catch Dave Doerr (sp) column. One of the bright spots was Oral Roberts had a cable station that showed up on my TV. He would always broadcast the games :) 

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Back in the 80s when SLU was in the MCC, if you were out-of-town, it was next to impossible to know how the Bills were doing or who played. All you had was buying one of those annual college magazines (like Street and Smith) to get a schedule and what the roster looked like. Also, fortunately our local public library carried the Post-Dispatch and I catch Dave Doerr (sp) column. One of the bright spots was Oral Roberts had a cable station that showed up on my TV. He would always broadcast the games :) 

Love the Street & Smith reference. It’s been a while! That and an old Beckett’s baseball card price magazine were staples of my DeMatt lounge collection! 

Funny, when we were in the Metro with Ekker as coach we every once and awhile get on national TV. I recall watching a game aganist Memphis, Crooked Dana Kirk I believe was the coach of Memphis. Ekker had this player called Willie Becton. A solid recruit from Memphis. Avg double figures for us for 2 years. He lit-it-up in that game. End of the season, he transfers to Memphis. That was life as a Billiken fan during the Ekker years.

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Love the Street & Smith reference. It’s been a while! That and an old Beckett’s baseball card price magazine were staples of my DeMatt lounge collection! 

I always remember how dated the info in those preseason mags was. 

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Funny, when we were in the Metro with Ekker as coach we every once and awhile get on national TV. I recall watching a game aganist Memphis, Crooked Dana Kirk I believe was the coach of Memphis. Ekker had this player called Willie Becton. A solid recruit from Memphis. Avg double figures for us for 2 years. He lit-it-up in that game. End of the season, he transfers to Memphis. That was life as a Billiken fan during the Ekker years.

And backndaday transferring was much harder.