Jump to content

2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be an obscure reference for most of you, but some of you may remember the South Carolina guard from the early 70s, John Roche. That's who Reaves plays like and actually looks a lot alike. Roche was the most hated ACC player of the era, but very good. When he played in the ABA and came to Greensboro for Carolina Cougar games, the boos reigned down on him and didn't stop until he was taken out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

This will be an obscure reference for most of you, but some of you may remember the South Carolina guard from the early 70s, John Roche. That's who Reaves plays like and actually looks a lot alike. Roche was the most hated ACC player of the era, but very good. When he played in the ABA and came to Greensboro for Carolina Cougar games, the boos reigned down on him and didn't stop until he was taken out.

good comparison.   you're at least as old as i am!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

When was that? Nebraska was a power back then. Colorado had some good teams as did Okie State. 

Nebraska and OU won every Big8 conference crown from 1963-1988. Then a Mizzou alum named Bill McCartney arrived in Boulder and received an honorary fifth down at homecoming. So nice of the folks in Columbia!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, almaman said:

way back

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bud-wilkinson-1.html

most fans in Big 8 hated them long after their '54-'58 reign.

I understand the era. It wasn't the Big 8 then. It was the Big 6 and Big 7 during periods of Wilkinson's tenure. Big 7 during 54-58. I don't know the actual dates though. I know it was Big 6 at the beginning but was the Big 8 by the end of his era

Everyone hates the teams that kick the out of them lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boomers and Sooners

Monday, May 19, 2014

Like most Nebraska sports fans, I have been generally pleased with the Huskers aligning themselves with the Big 10 Athletic Conference.

Yet, I'm sure that I am not alone in missing the "Love/Hate" relationships that we enjoyed with the schools of the old Big 8 Conference, especially the University of Oklahoma -- relationships that stemmed back to the old Missouri Valley Conference, which began in 1907 -- then to the Big 6, Big 7 and finally the Big 8. For many of the years Nebraska and Oklahoma dominated those conferences, and it must be said, that for a long time Oklahoma was "King of the Hill," especially in football. Indeed, in one period, after World War II Oklahoma, under the leadership of Bud Wilkinson, the football team went 47 games without a defeat, and won 13 straight conference championships. Those were the days when sports pundits referred to the Big 8 as, "Oklahoma and the 7 Dwarfs."

 

last line refers to my remembrance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Boomers and Sooners

Monday, May 19, 2014

Like most Nebraska sports fans, I have been generally pleased with the Huskers aligning themselves with the Big 10 Athletic Conference.

Yet, I'm sure that I am not alone in missing the "Love/Hate" relationships that we enjoyed with the schools of the old Big 8 Conference, especially the University of Oklahoma -- relationships that stemmed back to the old Missouri Valley Conference, which began in 1907 -- then to the Big 6, Big 7 and finally the Big 8. For many of the years Nebraska and Oklahoma dominated those conferences, and it must be said, that for a long time Oklahoma was "King of the Hill," especially in football. Indeed, in one period, after World War II Oklahoma, under the leadership of Bud Wilkinson, the football team went 47 games without a defeat, and won 13 straight conference championships. Those were the days when sports pundits referred to the Big 8 as, "Oklahoma and the 7 Dwarfs."

 

last line refers to my remembrance.

Got it. That would have been Big 8 days which started late 50's I think. 

Just looked it up. Became the Big 8 in '58.  Nebraska wasn't really good until the Devaney era which I just looked up began in '63. So it probably was OU and the 7 dwarfs from 58 through 62. 

That statement above is a bit misleading as it leads you to think it was the Big 8 in the days following WWII and the streak. The 2 undefeated seasons with National Championships '55 and '56 they weren't even the Big 8. 

My real fandom started with Fairbanks in 71 with Greg Pruitt and the Selmon Bros. Then Tinker Owens, Joe Washington, and Elvis Peacock. However my favorite team is '79 the year Billy Sims got robbed of the Heisman. That team had JC Watts ( My fav Sooner and imo the greatest wishbone qb of all time) and Billy Sims, Stanley Wilson, and David Overstreet. All 3 RB's played in the NFL. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, almaman said:

60's rivalry 'tween NU & OU best in the land that period.

Also some of the most legendary coaching in the history of college football, which pains me to say as a native son of Texas. Better than Royal v Stallings in the old SWC, better than Ara v McKay, etc. 
 

Doesn’t get much better than Wilkinson & Switzer in Norman going up against the statesman Osborne. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The OU and the seven dwarfs was something OU pushed at some level at least until the until the end of the Switzer era.  I bought a t shirt with that on it when I attended football camp at OU one year.

It’s amazing to think that the Texas -OU game was non-conference for the first 90 years of the Red River Rivalry. Then the SWC folded and the 8 became 12. 

College football fans should put that game on the bucket list. Lots of scenery at Fair Park in Dallas during the weekend, Jimbo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The OU and the seven dwarfs was something OU pushed at some level at least until the until the end of the Switzer era.  I bought a t shirt with that on it when I attended football camp at OU one year.

how old were u @ camp?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Again these day 2 games have been crap.  Oh well onto the Sweet 16 next weekend! 

logical result of so many upsets first round. let's hope sweet 16 is better. interesting group. If USC finishes of KU that will make PAC-12 9-1 with a quarter of the field in sweet 16.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, almaman said:

logical result of so many upsets first round. let's hope sweet 16 is better. interesting group. If USC finishes of KU that will make PAC-12 9-1 with a quarter of the field in sweet 16.  

Yeah but even the upsets were just lopsided.  Oregon blew out Iowa.  KU getting blown out.  4/5 Colorado/FL ST game wasn’t close.  
 

kudos to the PAC-10 who is always ragged on while people gush over the Big 10 but it’s been quite the opposite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

cool did u get to meet players  and coaches?

Switzer would walk around from time to time and gave a couple speeches.  It was basically the assistant coaches doing instruction of different groups. I don’t remember any players that were in the program at that time there, but Tony Casillas, who was in the NFL, showed up a couple of times and talked to all of us one day.  I think his little brother or cousin was one of the campers.  

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

It’s amazing to think that the Texas -OU game was non-conference for the first 90 years of the Red River Rivalry. Then the SWC folded and the 8 became 12. 

College football fans should put that game on the bucket list. Lots of scenery at Fair Park in Dallas during the weekend, Jimbo. 

I would never call OU/Neb a bigger rivalry than OU/Tex despite conference affiliation. 

I agree Tex/OU should be on every college football fans bucket list. For a time it was arguably CFB's biggest rivalry. I've been to the game 3 times. The Texas State Fair still is big but used to be a very big deal in Texas. The cotton bowl is on the fairgrounds and the game was held during the fair. 100k plus fans surrounding the stadium before the game split 50/50 OU/Tex. And not just a good natured rivalry. However, game day held nothing to the night before party on Commerce Street. 

Blocks of Texas and OU fans in school colors drinking and partying, chanting and singing. I'm not sure the year probably '80 or '81 we had a TV get thrown out of window not sure from how high up as we didn't see it coming land literally 10 feet in front of us. The police would try to clear the streets around 2 if I remember but numerous times the fire dept had to come out and they'd just spray you down until the streets cleared. The fire hose could knock you over if you're drunk enough. I know first hand. Lots and lots of fights. Those who know me can correctly guess my mouth put me in a few of them, usually so drunk I was on the wrong end. 

My Brother went to UT from '79-83 or 84. My family are all ridiculous longhorn fans. They don't wear Texas gear on game day. They wore it every day.  My little brother could make the hook'em sign before he could talk and the legend is his first words were hook em horns. We sang the Eyes of Texas at my Dad's funeral and released red and white balloons. We all wore burnt orange shirts. Even my dad's best friend ( An aggie professor ) wore burnt orange.  As a teenager and an OU fan I wouldn't be allowed to watch the game unless I wore a Texas hat or sat in the back of the room halfway around the corner. I wouldn't wear the hat.  It was serious. My Brother, Mom, and Dad were season ticket holders until he passed and they'd see 1 away game per year. 

Those were the days. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...