Jump to content

SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you see everything as Trump vs. the world, you assume that anything that is bad for Trump is good for those who didn't vote for him and don't support him. Big Bill Fan clearly thinks this way and

Well courtside, I just hope and pray you get it, progress all the way into ventilation, and gracefully become one more death statistic among the 80+% who don't make it out of ventilation. This will al

I made an exception to read your post above after placing you in the ignore list. You finally admit that you are not capable of producing anything close to a medically valid argument. You admit t

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, courtside said:

There is also a lot of voter suppression as well as ease of voting concerns for many. It isn't difficult, popular vote only, abolish electoral college, no more gerrymandering and purging voter rolls. Increase days and times that people can vote, mail in voting etc... Make it a National Holiday. The goal is to have as many people as possible vote. If it is isn't, it's disingenous as best.

 

 

I would give this a good post but it’s not it is a great post. As it is my vote in Mo. and Roy’s vote in Illinois are worthless. Yet the vote of someone in Michigan,Ohio,Pennsylvania and Florida determines who will be president. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SShoe said:

Which is the sad state of this country.  Trump's consistent level of support (43-45%) tells me it does not matter anymore who the candidate is.   We are now just a country of Republicans, Democrats, and people who don't pay attention.

Oh the fly over states are paying attention 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Wild false equivalency alert 🚨🚨

So you thought this was a counter to my statement? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, slusam said:

Watching the movie The Campaign. Reminds me of the political debate in this thread.

'cept movie was funny :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, courtside said:

There is also a lot of voter suppression as well as ease of voting concerns for many. It isn't difficult, popular vote only, abolish electoral college, no more gerrymandering and purging voter rolls. Increase days and times that people can vote, mail in voting etc... Make it a National Holiday. The goal is to have as many people as possible vote. If it is isn't, it's disingenous as best.

 

 

This is an example of what I am talking about. Right on cue. 

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1246561134234255360?s=19

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Brighton said:

The future of sports as a whole is in peril.

 

That’s why every post about how good the ‘20-‘21 Bills will be depresses me right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is new data (to me at least):

Mortality data shows that the mortality rate increases rapidly with age and gets over 15% for patients over age 80. This does not mean that younger age people cannot die of Covid infection.

Survival from standard ARDS (not Covid) treated with ventilation at BJC has been 50% give or take. No idea what the survival for ARDS induced by Covid may be at BJC, suspect it may  be lower.

SLU Hospital  currently has (mid week last week) 15 Covid patients, 8 in ICU but not receiving ventilatory support, 5 on ventilatory support, 2 in isolation at the wards.

Cleveland Clinic currently has 192 Covid patients (as of Friday 4/3), 1/3 of which are isolated in the wards, including one pediatric patient 3 years old, and the rest are in ICU receiving ventilatory support. Cleveland Clinic has had around 90 patients that were discharged after surviving Covid induced ARDS treated with ventilation. The pediatric patient survived ARDS and ventilatory support before he was diagnosed with Covid. He is in isolation running happily around his room, playing with anything that resembles a toy and driving the staff crazy. His guardian, his grandmother, is staying inside the isolation room with the child (with special permission from the Clinic), she deserves a medal for heroism for facing something like this square in the face. If she survives this, I  hope they have a grand parade to honor her courage and love for the child. I also hope she is receiving preventive dosage of drugs to keep her free of infection. Who says women have no balls?, she certainly does have more than many men do.

The classroom buildings of the Case Western Reserve Med school (Cleveland) are being converted into a holding hospital for milder hospitalization requiring overflow patients.

Azithromycin tested in vitro against Zika and Ebola viruses show the antibiotic is active against these two viruses.

World wide survey of ID MDs treating Covid cases (6000 ID MD responders) shows that the most commonly used and most effective drug used for treating Covid is Hydroxichloroquine. Bi_ch all you want about lack of testing and lack of safety, it does the job or so these 6000 INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPECIALISTS (NOT PSYCHIATRISTS OR CHEMISTS) SAY. Anecdotal evidence yes, but it saves lives, something that never crossed you minds.

The best two ways to survive Covid are: 1. Not getting it. and 2. Not getting Covid induced ARDS if you do get the disease. If you happen to test positive and develop clinical symptoms, the best treatment available is 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine po tid plus Azithromycin po 500 mg loading dose day 1 followed by 250 mg po qd X 4 days. This drug combo is used to lower viral load and prevent ARDS from developing.

For those of you that have been busy providing your really miniscule level of medical knowledge and faulty opinion to this discussion, yes, I mean you SpoonBills and Rgbilliken the famous singer of the Covid ballad, stick this up anywhere it pleases you. As my ex marine friend used to say, GSIYH.

This mess is NOT a political issue, it is a medical and public health issue that will be resolved some time, hopefully soon. Some of you people just LOVE to see the death toll rise just to dump on the President. I still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

<This mess is NOT a political issue, it is a medical and public health issue that will be resolved some time, hopefully soon. Some of you people just LOVE to see the death toll rise just to dump on the President. I still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US.>

Can elected leaders be faulted and judged without it being political?

Would you be dumping on your president if it gets up to 100K? 

There are 333K cases reported with 9.5K dead and 17K recovered. So there are 288K active cases. I am asking for real how is it not the case that those 288K active cases aren't going to go down to zero having all fallen in the grave or recovered cases stack? at current rate that gives us somewhere around 35% of the 1/3 million reported cases which I'm eyeballing it as way higher than 26K. Just a hunch, my gut feeling either way SAD

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Oh the fly over states are paying attention 

Never forget us Indies. We can swing it one way or the other. Once this evil passes, the media and the Dems are going to skewer Trump w/ investigations like a pig over a smoking pit.  A lot of indies will be watching and making up their minds. Personally, I  do think Biden is at the beginning stages of dementia/alzheimers, so he is going to be a huge concern for a lot of independents. Most Dems don't care about Biden's flaws. Hell,  they'd vote for Fred Box of Rocks if he had a D behind his name. But there's also a lot of Republicans who are going to view Trump thru a new lens when all the dust settles on this deal. He's never really moved beyond his base, and, if they get hit hard in the pocket book or by health issues by this virus, just thinking he might be not be able to sell them on a second chance. The knives are already being drawn w/ the media and the Dem leadership. They smell blood, both literally and figuratively.  

If there were ever an opportunity for a strong 3rd party candidate to step up now would be the year. I'm not talking Crazy Bernie, who is in fact an independent. But I would not be surprised to see him throw his hat in the ring as an Independent once he loses the Dem race. Of course finding that independent centrist is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Going to be interesting to see who Biden picks as his running mate. He/She could very well be the deciding factor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, almaman said:

Can elected leaders be faulted and judged without it being political?

Would you be dumping on your president if it gets up to 100K? 

There are 333K cases reported with 9.5K dead and 17K recovered. So there are 288K active cases. I am asking for real how is it not the case that those 288K active cases aren't going to go down to zero having all fallen in the grave or recovered cases stack? at current rate that gives us somewhere around 35% of the 1/3 million reported cases which I'm eyeballing it as way higher than 26K. Just a hunch, my gut feeling either way SAD

Let's say you're right, alaman, and the dead pool comes in at around 100k, a staggering number in my mind, but it's not unrealistic the way it's spreading. Trump would tout the fact in came in way below the media's horror zombie stats of 1 to 2 million, because he was way behind the curve. It's still going to come down to the economy. His only hope at that point is if it gets up and running and is booming this fall. 

I for one think the first thing folks are going to be thinking when this magic "it's over" date comes is I'm just happy to be alive and my family's safe, but now I have to feed my kids, but they may also be thinking about saving a lot of money if they think it's going to come back. Good for savings rates, not so good for economic growth in the US consumer based economy. At least for the short term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Old Guys 26k is closer but as far as the economy it's toast. Things are going to be as bad as they've ever been in our lifetime imo. Even without cv19 it was going to fall. Student debt, individual debt, the national debt after ridiculous tax cuts, it was all going to fall apart and now surely will. The next generation is hosed big time. Silver lining we all had a pretty good run :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are concerned about the economy SLU72 why don't you order a take out for Easter dinner form your favorite restaurant. It keeps your wife from trying to do something special, and you support one of your favorite restaurants in the area you live in. You are probably not going to have the regular number of people coming for Easter dinner anyway. At my house this year's Easter dinner will probably be limited to my wife, I, and possibly one of her brothers that lives alone since his divorce. No one is going to travel to St. Louis for this dinner and those that live in the city are worried about joining a crowd of people. So, it will be dinner for 2 or three, at the most, at our house, with really nice food and really nice wine (from my basement of course), followed by our choice of heavier stuff. Chirst has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again! Rejoice!, even when you are alone with your wife drinking bourbon or whatever and watching an old movie DVD after dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is seldom that I agree with you almaman, but this time I do. The economy will eventually bounce but it will not be right away, I fully agree with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is new data (to me at least):

Mortality data shows that the mortality rate increases rapidly with age and gets over 15% for patients over age 80. This does not mean that younger age people cannot die of Covid infection.

Survival from standard ARDS (not Covid) treated with ventilation at BJC has been 50% give or take. No idea what the survival for ARDS induced by Covid may be at BJC, suspect it may  be lower.

SLU Hospital  currently has (mid week last week) 15 Covid patients, 8 in ICU but not receiving ventilatory support, 5 on ventilatory support, 2 in isolation at the wards.

Cleveland Clinic currently has 192 Covid patients (as of Friday 4/3), 1/3 of which are isolated in the wards, including one pediatric patient 3 years old, and the rest are in ICU receiving ventilatory support. Cleveland Clinic has had around 90 patients that were discharged after surviving Covid induced ARDS treated with ventilation. The pediatric patient survived ARDS and ventilatory support before he was diagnosed with Covid. He is in isolation running happily around his room, playing with anything that resembles a toy and driving the staff crazy. His guardian, his grandmother, is staying inside the isolation room with the child (with special permission from the Clinic), she deserves a medal for heroism for facing something like this square in the face. If she survives this, I  hope they have a grand parade to honor her courage and love for the child. I also hope she is receiving preventive dosage of drugs to keep her free of infection. Who says women have no balls?, she certainly does have more than many men do.

The classroom buildings of the Case Western Reserve Med school (Cleveland) are being converted into a holding hospital for milder hospitalization requiring overflow patients.

Azithromycin tested in vitro against Zika and Ebola viruses show the antibiotic is active against these two viruses.

World wide survey of ID MDs treating Covid cases (6000 ID MD responders) shows that the most commonly used and most effective drug used for treating Covid is Hydroxichloroquine. Bi_ch all you want about lack of testing and lack of safety, it does the job or so these 6000 INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPECIALISTS (NOT PSYCHIATRISTS OR CHEMISTS) SAY. Anecdotal evidence yes, but it saves lives, something that never crossed you minds.

The best two ways to survive Covid are: 1. Not getting it. and 2. Not getting Covid induced ARDS if you do get the disease. If you happen to test positive and develop clinical symptoms, the best treatment available is 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine po tid plus Azithromycin po 500 mg loading dose day 1 followed by 250 mg po qd X 4 days. This drug combo is used to lower viral load and prevent ARDS from developing.

For those of you that have been busy providing your really miniscule level of medical knowledge and faulty opinion to this discussion, yes, I mean you SpoonBills and Rgbilliken the famous singer of the Covid ballad, stick this up anywhere it pleases you. As my ex marine friend used to say, GSIYH.

This mess is NOT a political issue, it is a medical and public health issue that will be resolved some time, hopefully soon. Some of you people just LOVE to see the death toll rise just to dump on the President. I still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US. 

 

Old man, keep my name out of your pathetic mouth. I have not, and will never, claim to have a scintilla of medical knowledge. I am not an MD. i did not attend medical school. I cannot diagnose or treat a patient. I never claimed any of those things. you can continue to bloviate for 8000 words per post all you want but leave me out of it and don’t outright lie about what I’ve said. 
 

There are many things I don’t know, and I admit that. One thing I do know is how research is typically conducted. the specific study you posted earlier in this thread was poorly designed and lacked statistical power. That is the only thing I have argued with you about. If the 6000 number you posted above is true that’s great. I am glad it is working. That is completely separate and apart from the small French study you cited earlier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If you are concerned about the economy SLU72 why don't you get take out form your favorite restaurant for Easter dinner. It keeps your wife from trying to do something special, and you support one of your favorite restaurants in the area you live in. You are probably not going to have the regular number of people coming for Easter dinner. At my house it will probably be limited to my wife, I, and possibly one of her brothers that lives alone since his divorce. No one is going to travel to St. Louis for this dinner and those that live in the city are worried about joining a crowd of people. So, it will be dinner for 2 or three, at the most, at our house, really nice food and really nice wine (from my basement of course), followed by our choice of heavier stuff. Chirst has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again! Rejoice!, even alone with your wife drinking bourbon or whatever and watching an old movie DVD.

As Carville said, it’s all about the economy, stupid. And I didn’t just call you stupid. This thing is going to hit us like the Great Depression. And what did our grandparents, if you’re a boomer, take away from that? Never again and frugality. I happen to believe that’s what will happen here. Bottom line; our economy won’t immediately bounce back for a while. We’re in for some tough times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is new data (to me at least):

Mortality data shows that the mortality rate increases rapidly with age and gets over 15% for patients over age 80. This does not mean that younger age people cannot die of Covid infection.

Survival from standard ARDS (not Covid) treated with ventilation at BJC has been 50% give or take. No idea what the survival for ARDS induced by Covid may be at BJC, suspect it may  be lower.

SLU Hospital  currently has (mid week last week) 15 Covid patients, 8 in ICU but not receiving ventilatory support, 5 on ventilatory support, 2 in isolation at the wards.

Cleveland Clinic currently has 192 Covid patients (as of Friday 4/3), 1/3 of which are isolated in the wards, including one pediatric patient 3 years old, and the rest are in ICU receiving ventilatory support. Cleveland Clinic has had around 90 patients that were discharged after surviving Covid induced ARDS treated with ventilation. The pediatric patient survived ARDS and ventilatory support before he was diagnosed with Covid. He is in isolation running happily around his room, playing with anything that resembles a toy and driving the staff crazy. His guardian, his grandmother, is staying inside the isolation room with the child (with special permission from the Clinic), she deserves a medal for heroism for facing something like this square in the face. If she survives this, I  hope they have a grand parade to honor her courage and love for the child. I also hope she is receiving preventive dosage of drugs to keep her free of infection. Who says women have no balls?, she certainly does have more than many men do.

The classroom buildings of the Case Western Reserve Med school (Cleveland) are being converted into a holding hospital for milder hospitalization requiring overflow patients.

Azithromycin tested in vitro against Zika and Ebola viruses show the antibiotic is active against these two viruses.

World wide survey of ID MDs treating Covid cases (6000 ID MD responders) shows that the most commonly used and most effective drug used for treating Covid is Hydroxichloroquine. Bi_ch all you want about lack of testing and lack of safety, it does the job or so these 6000 INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPECIALISTS (NOT PSYCHIATRISTS OR CHEMISTS) SAY. Anecdotal evidence yes, but it saves lives, something that never crossed you minds.

The best two ways to survive Covid are: 1. Not getting it. and 2. Not getting Covid induced ARDS if you do get the disease. If you happen to test positive and develop clinical symptoms, the best treatment available is 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine po tid plus Azithromycin po 500 mg loading dose day 1 followed by 250 mg po qd X 4 days. This drug combo is used to lower viral load and prevent ARDS from developing.

For those of you that have been busy providing your really miniscule level of medical knowledge and faulty opinion to this discussion, yes, I mean you SpoonBills and Rgbilliken the famous singer of the Covid ballad, stick this up anywhere it pleases you. As my ex marine friend used to say, GSIYH.

This mess is NOT a political issue, it is a medical and public health issue that will be resolved some time, hopefully soon. Some of you people just LOVE to see the death toll rise just to dump on the President. I still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US. 

 

What a pathetic old man so threatened by a young MD in training and a female Phd

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is new data (to me at least):

Mortality data shows that the mortality rate increases rapidly with age and gets over 15% for patients over age 80. This does not mean that younger age people cannot die of Covid infection.

Survival from standard ARDS (not Covid) treated with ventilation at BJC has been 50% give or take. No idea what the survival for ARDS induced by Covid may be at BJC, suspect it may  be lower.

SLU Hospital  currently has (mid week last week) 15 Covid patients, 8 in ICU but not receiving ventilatory support, 5 on ventilatory support, 2 in isolation at the wards.

Cleveland Clinic currently has 192 Covid patients (as of Friday 4/3), 1/3 of which are isolated in the wards, including one pediatric patient 3 years old, and the rest are in ICU receiving ventilatory support. Cleveland Clinic has had around 90 patients that were discharged after surviving Covid induced ARDS treated with ventilation. The pediatric patient survived ARDS and ventilatory support before he was diagnosed with Covid. He is in isolation running happily around his room, playing with anything that resembles a toy and driving the staff crazy. His guardian, his grandmother, is staying inside the isolation room with the child (with special permission from the Clinic), she deserves a medal for heroism for facing something like this square in the face. If she survives this, I  hope they have a grand parade to honor her courage and love for the child. I also hope she is receiving preventive dosage of drugs to keep her free of infection. Who says women have no balls?, she certainly does have more than many men do.

The classroom buildings of the Case Western Reserve Med school (Cleveland) are being converted into a holding hospital for milder hospitalization requiring overflow patients.

Azithromycin tested in vitro against Zika and Ebola viruses show the antibiotic is active against these two viruses.

World wide survey of ID MDs treating Covid cases (6000 ID MD responders) shows that the most commonly used and most effective drug used for treating Covid is Hydroxichloroquine. Bi_ch all you want about lack of testing and lack of safety, it does the job or so these 6000 INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPECIALISTS (NOT PSYCHIATRISTS OR CHEMISTS) SAY. Anecdotal evidence yes, but it saves lives, something that never crossed you minds.

The best two ways to survive Covid are: 1. Not getting it. and 2. Not getting Covid induced ARDS if you do get the disease. If you happen to test positive and develop clinical symptoms, the best treatment available is 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine po tid plus Azithromycin po 500 mg loading dose day 1 followed by 250 mg po qd X 4 days. This drug combo is used to lower viral load and prevent ARDS from developing.

For those of you that have been busy providing your really miniscule level of medical knowledge and faulty opinion to this discussion, yes, I mean you SpoonBills and Rgbilliken the famous singer of the Covid ballad, stick this up anywhere it pleases you. As my ex marine friend used to say, GSIYH.

This mess is NOT a political issue, it is a medical and public health issue that will be resolved some time, hopefully soon. Some of you people just LOVE to see the death toll rise just to dump on the President. I still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US. 

 

You can repeat 26,000 over and over and over and over and over and over again in cavalier, emotionless, fashion, and it still will not, and will never be, a good or acceptable number. This number could and should have been dramatically lower and not even close to that. These are deaths, dead bodies. These are many others who will suffer long term health problems.

This isn't about whether or not you can guess a correct number of body bags and the deaths of loved ones. It's not and never will be about you. The guy who tries the hardest to be the smartest in the room is often the last to figure out that he isn't. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rgbilliken said:

Old man, keep my name out of your pathetic mouth. I have not, and will never, claim to have a scintilla of medical knowledge. I am not an MD. i did not attend medical school. I cannot diagnose or treat a patient. I never claimed any of those things. you can continue to bloviate for 8000 words per post all you want but leave me out of it and don’t outright lie about what I’ve said. 
 

There are many things I don’t know, and I admit that. One thing I do know is how research is typically conducted. the specific study you posted earlier in this thread was poorly designed and lacked statistical power. That is the only thing I have argued with you about. If the 6000 number you posted above is true that’s great. I am glad it is working. That is completely separate and apart from the small French study you cited earlier. 

Dr. Megan L. Ranney, an emergency physician at Brown University in Rhode Island, said in an interview on Sunday night that she had never seen an elected official advertise a “miracle cure” the way Mr. Trump has done. But she took pause.

“There are side effects to hydroxychloroquine,” Dr. Ranney said. “It causes psychiatric symptoms, cardiac problems and a host of other bad side effects.”

Dr. Ranney said hydroxychloroquine could be effective for some patients, but there wasn’t nearly enough scientific evidence to support Mr. Trump’s claims.

 

wow sounds pretty similar to what RG said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Dr. Megan L. Ranney, an emergency physician at Brown University in Rhode Island, said in an interview on Sunday night that she had never seen an elected official advertise a “miracle cure” the way Mr. Trump has done. But she took pause.

“There are side effects to hydroxychloroquine,” Dr. Ranney said. “It causes psychiatric symptoms, cardiac problems and a host of other bad side effects.”

Dr. Ranney said hydroxychloroquine could be effective for some patients, but there wasn’t nearly enough scientific evidence to support Mr. Trump’s claims.

 

wow sounds pretty similar to what RG said. 

No, it sounds like a biased, politically motivated hit piece. Trump never said anything was a miracle cure, so that’s a flat out lie. The drug HAS BEEN PROVEN SAFE EXCEPT IN SOME INSTANCES OF LONG TERM USAGE, WHICH IS NOT THE CASE HERE!  it’s stunning the lengths some will go to harm our President and our country. Meanwhile, new cases dropped by nearly 9,000 today. Sadly, some will not take this as encouraging news...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...