Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
billikenbill

SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to university operations and the endowment, but why does a university with a $500mm-$1b endowment have to cut anything? I understand the endowment is not a savings account, but why does a university (any university) continually build up a financial nest egg for the future, but refuse to deploy those resources in the present troubled times?  Honestly asking.

I found this interview with the Northwestern president to be interesting. At the 3:50 or so mark he talks about the endowment.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/28/northwestern-university-president-on-higher-ed-in-the-age-of-covid-19.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a very difficult truth that as a country we have ignored for some time now.  The growth of AI will be creating a severe impact on jobs as we know it today.  As a country we will need to come to grips with it or else we will end up in a very unstable situation.  Basically -  I understand that it is more complicated so take my simplistic statement as just a big picture view - we have to decide if we will ensure that people have a livable wage even if they do not work because AI has eliminated all of what they can do.  I know that retraining could have an impact here but some simply will not be able to be retrained or even have the motivation to do so and not simply because they don't want to work.  We have had countless examples of the stubborn attitude for example many coal mine workers refused to get retrained and simply insisted on waiting for the mines to reopen and supported the person who said he was going to reopen them when even the coal companies knew that was not going to happen.  By the way, AI will also have a huge impact on white collar jobs so this will not just be a problem for less educated people.  How we choose as a country to deal with this serious issue looming on the horizon - COVID-19 may have only sped it up - will define what kind of country/life we will have.  Those who have the money will probably not be interested in taking the lead in this solution so dire consequences may await us.

Now will new types of jobs be created in fields we do not even imagine - yes to some extent but we seldom get a seamless transition when major upheaval takes place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

There has been a very difficult truth that as a country we have ignored for some time now.  The growth of AI will be creating a severe impact on jobs as we know it today.  As a country we will need to come to grips with it or else we will end up in a very unstable situation.  Basically -  I understand that it is more complicated so take my simplistic statement as just a big picture view - we have to decide if we will ensure that people have a livable wage even if they do not work because AI has eliminated all of what they can do.  I know that retraining could have an impact here but some simply will not be able to be retrained or even have the motivation to do so and not simply because they don't want to work.  We have had countless examples of the stubborn attitude for example many coal mine workers refused to get retrained and simply insisted on waiting for the mines to reopen and supported the person who said he was going to reopen them when even the coal companies knew that was not going to happen.  By the way, AI will also have a huge impact on white collar jobs so this will not just be a problem for less educated people.  How we choose as a country to deal with this serious issue looming on the horizon - COVID-19 may have only sped it up - will define what kind of country/life we will have.  Those who have the money will probably not be interested in taking the lead in this solution so dire consequences may await us.

Now will new types of jobs be created in fields we do not even imagine - yes to some extent but we seldom get a seamless transition when major upheaval takes place.

*See Westworld Season 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I found this interview with the Northwestern president to be interesting. At the 3:50 or so mark he talks about the endowment.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/28/northwestern-university-president-on-higher-ed-in-the-age-of-covid-19.html

Thanks for this. As it relates to the endowment, he mentioned that portions of the endowment are restricted and can only be spent for specific reasons (e.g. cancer research).  It'd be interesting to see what portion of an endowment is restricted, what portion goes to need based financial aid, what portion goes to op-ex, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

There has been a very difficult truth that as a country we have ignored for some time now.  The growth of AI will be creating a severe impact on jobs as we know it today.  As a country we will need to come to grips with it or else we will end up in a very unstable situation.  Basically -  I understand that it is more complicated so take my simplistic statement as just a big picture view - we have to decide if we will ensure that people have a livable wage even if they do not work because AI has eliminated all of what they can do.  I know that retraining could have an impact here but some simply will not be able to be retrained or even have the motivation to do so and not simply because they don't want to work.  We have had countless examples of the stubborn attitude for example many coal mine workers refused to get retrained and simply insisted on waiting for the mines to reopen and supported the person who said he was going to reopen them when even the coal companies knew that was not going to happen.  By the way, AI will also have a huge impact on white collar jobs so this will not just be a problem for less educated people.  How we choose as a country to deal with this serious issue looming on the horizon - COVID-19 may have only sped it up - will define what kind of country/life we will have.  Those who have the money will probably not be interested in taking the lead in this solution so dire consequences may await us.

Now will new types of jobs be created in fields we do not even imagine - yes to some extent but we seldom get a seamless transition when major upheaval takes place.

The problem with the few jobs that tech creates is that it's often replacing good-paying old school jobs with low-paying service jobs.  So you have a tech giant like Amazon with employees making a median income of 29K.  Why?  Because the number of low-paying jobs they provide dwarfs the number of good-paying jobs.  And Amazon will eventually find a way to automate most of those low-end jobs.  That's just one company. It's an ugly situation that business and government are not prepared to address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Seriously moytoy, I never realized how mentally limited you are until this thread got going.

 old guy when he logs into billikens.com on windows 95

image.thumb.jpeg.23a64e68a4a7df2da5f003adba3f168f.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Seriously moytoy, I never realized how mentally limited you are until this thread got going.

Old guy, you need serious help.  You hope a member of the Billikens community will die from COVID19 (you still haven't apologized to @courtside for that outrageous post). Also, you've been consistently wrong in this thread.  So maybe...just do some self reflection.

p.s. @SluSignGuy, why is Old Guy still allowed to post? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SluSignGuyif you won't ban @Old guy, then delete my account.  I appreciate the forum you've provided. You are a great moderator and the Billikens community is lucky to have you (and Nark and @Quality Is Job 1). But if we're cool with the antics of Old Guy on this thread, then I don't want to be a part of this board. 

I've made a lot of friends through this forum and the Billiken community.  I hope to cross paths with each of you in the future. I'll continue to cheer on the Billikens.  

ball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep saying this thread should be deleted (not your account Moytoy)  This thread illustrates the horrible idiocy that comes from the merging of our true love of Billiken basketball and the world of politics.  I'll never take AlmaMan seriously again and I always thought Moytoy was a commie but now I know for sure. Glazed has always been a troll but WTF if the troll agrees with you he must be a good guy right? THIS IS STUPID AND HAS NO PLACE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Steve made a mistake in allowing this thread to continue and I hope he rectifies that ASAP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

Please delete my account as well.

JUST Freaking ignore this thread........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

@SluSignGuyif you won't ban @Old guy, then delete my account.  I appreciate the forum you've provided. You are a great moderator and the Billikens community is lucky to have you (and Nark and @Quality Is Job 1). But if we're cool with the antics of Old Guy on this thread, then I don't want to be a part of this board. 

I've made a lot of friends through this forum and the Billiken community.  I hope to cross paths with each of you in the future. I'll continue to cheer on the Billikens.  

ball game. 

The same crowd that called old guy a murderer wants him banned. Hilarious.  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

@SluSignGuyif you won't ban @Old guy, then delete my account.  I appreciate the forum you've provided. You are a great moderator and the Billikens community is lucky to have you (and Nark and @Quality Is Job 1). But if we're cool with the antics of Old Guy on this thread, then I don't want to be a part of this board. 

I've made a lot of friends through this forum and the Billiken community.  I hope to cross paths with each of you in the future. I'll continue to cheer on the Billikens.  

ball game. 

I do appreciate the support moytoy. Old Guy is what he is, and every time he posts, he simply exposes those things about himself each time. Some will call him out on those things, hold him accountable, and some won't. That will always be the case in these situations.

This in a way is how I feel about the separate topic of racism. At some point you have to stand up and take a stand for something and not just ignore or pretend it isn't there. Racism is one of those topics for me.

As for Old Guy's posts past and present, they aren't going to go unchecked by the masses here moving forward, and, that's what really matters. He's exposed himself for who and what he is, and if anything, it's more sad than anything else. Posters calling things out for what they are when they happen, is all people can do. It's certainly better than the alternative of ignoring, enabling, condoning.

I don't like to see good posters leave as some have because of some of the things in this thread. Many others have left over the years for various other reasons. 

I would encourage anyone that doesn't like this thread to simply avoid it and read others. I know I don't read every thread or take part in every thread. It'd be something like people coming to the soccer threads or women's sports threads and posting they don't like those things when they can easily skip it or ignore those things. In the end, individual people have to decide what matters to him/her when it comes to being a part of the board or not, and, whether the experience is a positive one.

Thanks again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see...by my count the following posters have requested to have their accounts removed:

Riseandgrind, rgbilliken, dennis w, Henry B, moytoy, Sheltiedave...did I leave anyone out? Ironically, the only one as far as I know who has actually been removed is BBF and he didn't request it....go figure.   Said it countless times...will say it again. This thread is a disgrace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Here is the structure of America and just a few reasons why i'm ok with it being obliterated:

White Americans with military style weapons can verbally attack police officers and face no repercussions while black Americans who kneel during the national anthem lose their job...

Corporations bailed out 10-12 years ago get another bailout because they spent their tax break on stock buybacks...

America is responding to a pandemic like a third world country...

Large areas of the US don't have running water, but have to face a pandemic without federal assistance...

Public cash flush firms get PPP dollars...

Jared Kushner's companies refuse to grant relief to tenants during a pandemic...

People of color, thanks to decades/centuries of oppression, are dying disproportionately...

Our president thinks we should inject disinfectant...

Tens of millions unemployed but only a fraction receiving assistance...

Tons of food being destroyed while millions starve...

Thanks to the federal government seizing supplies, states secretly negotiating with foreign countries government to get essential medical supplies to its citizens...

70,000 dead is considered success...

 

 

And then the replacement will be a Utopia where racism is non existent, oppression is no more, and there are no poor people? 

These things have always been in place since the beginning of civilization. 

I want to just get back to the place where baseball is on TV when it gets warm out, we can go to restaurants, picnics and church, then football and basketball in the fall/winter.  This is the structure I am talking about. 

All that has nothing to do with Trump or incendiary twitter videos showing police/community disgruntlement in America.  Remaining angry over everything that you see/read on the internet is no way to spend your life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Remember how annoying Roy billiken and old guy were earlier in this thread? That is you, right now, maybe worse, just the other side of the coin.

But moytoy is stating facts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Here is the structure of America and just a few reasons why i'm ok with it being obliterated:

White Americans with military style weapons can verbally attack police officers and face no repercussions while black Americans who kneel during the national anthem lose their job...

Corporations bailed out 10-12 years ago get another bailout because they spent their tax break on stock buybacks...

America is responding to a pandemic like a third world country...

Large areas of the US don't have running water, but have to face a pandemic without federal assistance...

Public cash flush firms get PPP dollars...

Jared Kushner's companies refuse to grant relief to tenants during a pandemic...

People of color, thanks to decades/centuries of oppression, are dying disproportionately...

Our president thinks we should inject disinfectant...

Tens of millions unemployed but only a fraction receiving assistance...

Tons of food being destroyed while millions starve...

Thanks to the federal government seizing supplies, states secretly negotiating with foreign countries government to get essential medical supplies to its citizens...

70,000 dead is considered success...

 

 

Yikes

America isn't perfect.  Rooting for our country to fail is ignorant and something that I will never understand.  People who root for America's demise have never seen real hardship.  

When China is the sole world power you'll be wishing for America in 2020 covid and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Remaining angry over everything that you see/read on the internet is no way to spend your life. 

Nick, I’ve met you and think you’re an awesome dude. I will say the quoted portion above is the epitome of white privilege.  Go to the black and brown neighborhoods, go to Navajo Nation, go to the Zia Pueblo...these are places that America has forgotten. Many of these locations don’t event have running water.  I’m pissed.  I’m pissed for these humans that have been fuoked. I’m pissed that our country is more concerned about corporations than they are about humans.   There are people in our country that can’t get running water, electricity, and/or internet.  And then these ppl get the plague and no assistance.  You know what...it pisses me the F off. 
 

You’re a solid dude; I have nothing against you. I’m exhausted by a majority that has zero understanding how people have been fuoked by this country for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yikes

America isn't perfect.  Rooting for our country to fail is ignorant and something that I will never understand.  People who root for America's demise have never seen real hardship.  

When China is the sole world power you'll be wishing for America in 2020 covid and all.

Yep, I’m rooting for an end to everything i posted in that message. If you can’t call it out and/or recognize it, then that’s on you. 

I’m not asking for perfection, I’m demanding that we attack inequity as ferociously as we can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Yep, I’m rooting for an end to everything i posted in that message. If you can’t call it out and/or recognize it, then that’s on you. 

I’m not asking for perfection, I’m demanding that we attack inequity as ferociously as we can. 

You said America should be obliterated.

The construct of America is how we are able to fight inequality. Tearing it down only leads to more of inequities. Working within the framework set forth by the founding fathers is how we achieve those goals.  Removing them only gives more power to the people responsible for your list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have pretty much had it.  Maybe it is the culmination of multiple not great pieces of news today influencing me, but I am going to close this thread.

If anyone brings the repulsive garbage that was in this thread to other threads, which have stayed relatively clean, I will have a very short leash for banning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...