Welcome Gibson Jimerson

billikentim

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, slusam said:

Wouldn't hurt to have a regular transfer as well if there is someone we like available in the spring.  If we could find another Jevon Bess that would work out well.

The only thing is that a transfer would end up graduating with either the ‘18 or ‘19 classes. Both of those are shaping up to be rather large classes. And I’d rather not waste a year of a scholarship on a transfer unless he’s a really good get. So if we can find another Bess, sure, you always make room for a guy like that. Otherwise I’d prefer a gap-filler who only takes one year of a scholarship or a four-year player. 

Welcome Gibson! Gotta love those stats...and the name. Any thoughts on the differences between this guy and Ingvi? On paper they seem to bring a similiar skillset to the table. A tall 2 man with high shooting percentages. Based soley on YouTube (and a super small sample size), Gibson seems to bring a little more athleticism. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So is Gibson's 86% FT / 45% 3FG close enough to our new standard of 90/50?

90/50 = glory line

HoosierPal likes this

This is an excellent commitment. Perfect piece in terms of roster fit. Committed upon visiting. Love it.

For those making the obvious recent history comparisons, he's already got an inch or so on Barnett and more like 2 inches on Cassity and Crawford. And at 210, he's bigger now than any of them were as seniors.

And none of them led the EYBL in scoring efficiency.

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is an excellent commitment. Perfect piece in terms of roster fit. Committed upon visiting. Love it.

For those making the obvious recent history comparisons, he's already got an inch or so on Barnett and more like 2 inches on Cassity and Crawford. And at 210, he's bigger now than any of them were as seniors.

And none of them led the EYBL in scoring efficiency.

Anyone know where rest of the efficiency leaders are headed to college? IE is this a good indication of "level" of recruit? 

I love the broad range of skills being recruited.  I don't know if M. Jacobs is realistic at this point or not, but if he isn't, I think you need to add at least one more big and maybe two for next year.  Ideally, a senior grad transfer that can come off the bench without complaint (like Anthony last season) and a freshman. 

Next season's roster:

Sr - None (this is where Santos' departure hurts most)

Jr - French, Goodwin, Welmer

So. - Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Thor, and Hankton

Fr. - Hargrove, Collins, Jimmerson

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Anyone know where rest of the efficiency leaders are headed to college? IE is this a good indication of "level" of recruit? 

Farrington is headed to Arkansas State, Morsell to Virginia, Davidson to Middle Tennessee, Maxey to Kentucky, Gillam to Cincinnati, Windham to Georgia State, Akingbola to Auburn, I don't think Smith is committed, and Beauchamp is a junior. There are some big-time names on the right, too, along with some recruits from a tier or two down.

So the short answer is: not necessarily, but it's a nice list to be on.

Love this pickup for a 100 reasons.  But am a bit confused at his recruiting process.

He has great size, and is known for being one of the best scorers at EYBL, and plays at a well known school.   Why such little recruitment for him?  Obviously I'll take it, but just strange hes not wanted by more.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Love this pickup for a 100 reasons.  But am a bit confused at his recruiting process.

He has great size, and is known for being one of the best scorers at EYBL, and plays at a well known school.   Why such little recruitment for him?  Obviously I'll take it, but just strange hes not wanted by more.

Here's what I had for his offer and interest lists coming in to this weekend:

Offers: SLU, K-State, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Lehigh, James Madison, American, Columbia, Stony Brook, High Point, UNC-Greensboro.

Interest: VCU, Richmond, La Salle, NC State, Nebraska, Stanford, Colorado, East Carolina, Bucknell, Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

With any player, it's important to remember there's almost certainly more interest than I can confirm. Offers always get reported, and interest is harder to track.

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably different for every player. I'm not sure why in his case. I don't think he's as lightly recruited as some other guys we've been recruiting, and it's hard to say whether the transfer will help boost his stock or not; he's going to be on the top national travel team at one of the top programs in the nation, but will he get minutes there? I don't know. But anyway, he might be a guy that come spring, more programs are wondering how we locked him down in the fall.

-welcome Gibson, looking forward to your signature on Nov 14

-he was smart to commit now as there will be more kids wanting to Be a Billiken than we will have open spots

-we are missing one very important aspect to his game, can he dunk?

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Here's what I had for his offer and interest lists coming in to this weekend:

Offers: SLU, K-State, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Lehigh, James Madison, American, Columbia, Stony Brook, High Point, UNC-Greensboro.

Interest: VCU, Richmond, La Salle, NC State, Nebraska, Stanford, Colorado, East Carolina, Bucknell, Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

With any player, it's important to remember there's almost certainly more interest than I can confirm. Offers always get reported, and interest is harder to track.

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably different for every player. I'm not sure why in his case. I don't think he's as lightly recruited as some other guys we've been recruiting, and it's hard to say whether the transfer will help boost his stock or not; he's going to be on the top national travel team at one of the top programs in the nation, but will he get minutes there? I don't know. But anyway, he might be a guy that come spring, more programs are wondering how we locked him down in the fall.

If what you say about this spring is true I wonder if he could be another Pearson?  Hope not

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-we are missing one very important aspect to his game, can he dunk?

Yes.

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If what you say about this spring is true I wonder if he could be another Pearson?  Hope not

That’s possible with anyone but there’s no reason to expect it.

Is Welmer seriously only going to be a Jr next season? Is that actually confirmed or is that one of those "he's going to apply for an exemption and we'll see what happens later" deals...and that's assuming his body holds up.

This is a guy who committed in Dec of 2013 when he was a senior in HS and he's seriously going to be playing as college "senior" in 2021? That just doesn't seem possible.

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

I love the broad range of skills being recruited.  I don't know if M. Jacobs is realistic at this point or not, but if he isn't, I think you need to add at least one more big and maybe two for next year.  Ideally, a senior grad transfer that can come off the bench without complaint (like Anthony last season) and a freshman. 

Next season's roster:

Sr - None (this is where Santos' departure hurts most)

Jr - French, Goodwin, Welmer

So. - Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Thor, and Hankton

Fr. - Hargrove, Collins, Jimmerson

I wonder if Santos departure allows for us to potentially add a mid-year transfer or is his scholarship already used for the entire academic year?

If we can add a mid-year transfer, that could be a nice option.  There aren't usually a ton of them & odds of having the right fit with one are slim.  However, there are also not as many teams to compete with since not all teams have a spot open.  We could maybe add a So. big man with that spot that would then slot in with the French/Goodwin class and have 1/2 of his junior year and senior year with us.